iPod-BMW interface FAQ available | iLounge News

iPod-BMW interface FAQ available

Wondering how the new BMW Auto Adapter for the iPod and iPod mini works? Apple’s official frequently asked questions (FAQ) page for the interface is now available online, including the official street date (July 12, 2004), tips for developing up to five BMW-ready playlists (plus using the BMW’s sixth preset button to play all iPod songs), and a picture of the iPod’s new “BMW” connected screen.

« Hack: iPod as wireless music streamer and fileserver

iPod lost and found - the benefits of registration »

Comments

I was wondering if I would be able to install the ipod on my 2001 330CI BMW?

Posted by Thomas on July 12, 2004 at 7:48 PM (CDT)

you would think so.  Reading the details it needs to be over 2002 .  I think this is just the rebranded ice link that uses the aux port on the apline produced stereo.  Older models do not have the aux port and so you loose the your stacker if you want the ipod.

Posted by Victor on July 12, 2004 at 9:02 PM (CDT)

I don’t see a pause function and what about a holder in the glove box, is it just going to bounce around ?

Posted by Brad on July 13, 2004 at 7:02 AM (CDT)

Just called BMW dealer, I was told the parts cost $495!!! + $149 labor!  When I asked if the $495 includes the iPod the guy said “NO”!!

The total cost for “ipod your BMW” =
$495 (parst) + $149 (labor) + $299 ($20 iPod) = $943

Hell, I can get a high-end mp3 CD-changer and get installed with less cost.  I think it is a total rip off.

Opinions??

Posted by ipodder_LA on July 30, 2004 at 10:47 AM (CDT)

If you go to the right dealership the part is only 150.00 with 100 installation. Who ever told you parts were $495 was trying to rip you off.

Posted by Daniel on August 10, 2004 at 4:54 PM (CDT)

I just took delivery of a 2005 BMW X3 with a dealer installed ipod interface.  While the radio seems to recognize the playlist I set up, it will not play the songs.  I know it recognizes the playlist since there are 56 tracks on it and it will revert back to track 1 after scanning all 56.

The manual states thae interface is compatible with the G3, firmware version 2.2.
Mine is a G4, version 3.0.2.

Posted by sitefour on July 11, 2005 at 11:54 AM (CDT)

I loaded my new nano ipod with about 10 cd’s and connected to my 2008 528I with the Idrive. Worked great, but when I tried to down load more Cd’s my lap top would no longer recognize the IPOD. Worked with apple on phone and computer for an hour could not fix the problem.

Posted by JEANIE on July 8, 2010 at 8:27 AM (CDT)