iPod buzz hiding problems for Apple | iLounge News

iPod buzz hiding problems for Apple

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Thursday, March 18, 2004
News Categories: iPod

MacNN reports that “MONEY Magazine’s article titled “Why iPod can’t save Apple” says the buzz on the digital music player and “swank” storefronts are masking an ebbing bottom line, noting reduced CPU sales (resulting a shrinking marketshare), decreased profits (in part due to the lower-margin iPod and little-to-no profit at the iTunes Music Store), failure of the iPod to drive CPU sales, failure of the retail stores to increase marketshare, hidden retail store costs, no operational income, and little value in the stock. [subscription required to view entire article; highlights posted below]”

« It’s all about the iPod?

Linux: Rhythmbox 0.7.1 released »

Comments

I’ve been listening to this moronic mantra cannonizing the death of Apple since 1979… that should say it all…

Who cares what people are say about the imminent death of Apple?!? Chicken little, the sky is falling! Get real!

Posted by austin on March 18, 2004 at 5:08 PM (PDT)

I am a girl and I prefer PCs

Posted by girly macs on March 18, 2004 at 5:10 PM (PDT)

Really Joker?
Here’s one for $699 with a 17” LCD. http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/advertised_dimen5?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

I said that the offers vary all the time. I’ve seen the 15” with the 2400 before. This particular offer comes with the same memory, add $40 for 80 gb HD (from 40). And the total is 749 for the same components. (with a bigger LCD)

The $1299 imac comes with an NVIDIA GeForce4 MX with 32mb memory. That’s barely an upgrade over Intel’s integrated. And i promise you that the 2.7 P4 blows the imac’s G4 out of the water.

Posted by Pigpen65 on March 18, 2004 at 6:26 PM (PDT)

I_have_a_life,

I’ve probably gotten more tang in the past 48 hours than you have in your whole 14 year life, so chill out little fella.

Posted by Pigpen65 on March 18, 2004 at 6:29 PM (PDT)

Pigpen65
TANG? LOL NICE ONE!!!

THIS IS A IPOD SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOT APPLE’S FAN BOY BASE!!!!!!!!!

SO STUF ABOUT APPLE COMPUTER!!!!!!!

THIS SITE IS CALL IPOD LOUNGE NOT APPLE LOUNGE!!!!!!!!!! BUNCH OF DUMBASS!!!

Posted by MINI IPOD SUCK on March 18, 2004 at 7:52 PM (PDT)

i_have_a_life is that the age where he thinks “if people debate over something, they must be NERDS!!!  Do you know how ####### stupid and shallow you just made yourself sounds?  Take my advice and kill yourself

Posted by wow you're a moron on March 18, 2004 at 8:10 PM (PDT)

I’ve come to learn that the credibility of most non-computer magazines are severely lacking.

I won’t say that Macs are the be-all/end-all of technology or that Mac OS sets the standard for what operating systems should be like (although it is most often imitated). Even Windows users have to admit, though, that Macs, PowerBooks, and iBooks are worth the price in the long run once maintenance, upgrades, and lost time spent with tech support (most likely in India these days) are factored in.

Posted by Aries73 on March 18, 2004 at 9:31 PM (PDT)

Oon dah do ha!

Posted by Weilan Chang on March 18, 2004 at 10:51 PM (PDT)

How many times have we heard this? Apple is a multibillion dollar corporation, with a fairly healthy market share of a rapidly growing market. As long as they continue to innovate they’ll go on and on. The only question for the next 10m years is how long until somebody like Sony does actually try and buy them…

Posted by dx on March 19, 2004 at 3:47 AM (PDT)

First of all, I am not a bean counter. However, I do invest and I do read mags like Money, et al. Please do not be deluded into thinking that Apple does not do everything with an eye at the bottom line. If they do not believe they can make money on it, it’ll never see the light of day. If they are a responsible company, they will not throw good money after bad. Regardless of how innovative the item is. I agree with you that Apple’s computers and the OS is better. BFD! Corporate America, including the company I work for, is dominated by Windows. Unless this changes, it doesn’t matter how superior Apple’s products are. What the Money article claims is that Apple is losing ground and is not quite what they used to be, despite the Ipod’s success. Simply put.

>> Questioner says: Bean-counters like *Money* or Margk seem to think accountants have the final say on the tech sector. Jobs’ point was that unless you have designers who can ignore the bottom line to a certain extent, you will not move forward. What Apple has at this point is an OS superiority not seen since the days of Windows ‘95.

Posted by Margk on March 19, 2004 at 5:12 AM (PDT)

This has NEVER been the case. The only people you hear talking about market share are PC proponents. “Look, Apple commands only 2% of the market share.” - Apple doesn’t care.

Apple wants creative professionals and people who appreciate their products for what they are - innovations, not plasticized boxes that are outdated the day you take them out of the store.

I work on a 400MHz G4 at work that is three years old that outperforms a PIII 500 I used to own in every way (and had in the shop twice for repairs).

You get what you pay for.

Posted by Gary on March 19, 2004 at 5:30 AM (PDT)

I feel bad for the Mac elite out there.  That is what we are, don’t deny it.  We are the fashionistas of the digital world.  And that is fine.  Some people buy Gucci shoes and Fendi purses, some don’t.  I don’t see these flaming wars over what kind of couch someone purchases.  And, just because one of IKEA’s tables doesn’t do as well as they had hoped at one point in time, doesn’t mean the whole company is going to tank (even if they may only sell a small percentage of all furniture).

One thing that is deplorable about the Mac users on this site so far is that they do not spell check or proofread their posts.  Which makes us look like idiots or kids.  I know it’s ‘the content that matters’ but honestly, when you are basing your argument on style, please use a form to match the substance.

Oh, and maybe not all geeks would want a girlfriend anyway.  Believe it or not, women, transgenders and people of a plethora of other sexual identities use this forum and computers…not just straight men.

Posted by Nick Smerker on March 19, 2004 at 6:08 AM (PDT)

“the Mac elite out there. That is what we are, don’t deny it. We are the fashionistas of the digital world. And that is fine.”

Oh Jesus Smirker you’re an ####### of the highest order and your naive elitism makes me ashamed to say I own a Mac.

Posted by Smirker on March 19, 2004 at 6:48 AM (PDT)

“Apple never has, and does not want to command market share numbers like those of Dell and other manufacturers. This has NEVER been the case.”

Do you know *anything* about Apple’s history? They used to be the number one market leader. But that was back in 1980. But since then they have been steadily losing ground, until now they are one of the smallest vertically integrated end-user system integrators.

You’re deluding yourself if you think Apple’s management wouldn’t give their eye teeth to be back on top again.

Posted by Marketshare on March 19, 2004 at 6:50 AM (PDT)

You know I find truly funny about this debate? Its that Apple users spill out the company line regardless of fact or reality.

And no one seems to call them on it.

DO you people really believe that the G5 is the fastest computer on the planet?!?

You can’t be serious.
Besides the fact that Intel has upped the Proc speed on the Pentium a good 4 or 5 times since the G5’s release, it wasn’t even the fastest machine on the day it hit the shelves.

Of course we can debate all day long on whether or not this was true but if you believe the G5 is still the fastest machine out there your credibility goes right out the window.

Even MacWorld magazine documented how thoroughly an Alienware PC kicked the living snot out of the G5 in the December 2003 issue
( http://www.macworld.com/2003/12/magazine/december2003/ )
you people still insist 3 months later, with newer Intel and AMD procs available - you are still ignorant enough to believe the G5 is on top??

Check your own fanboy magazines and get out of that ugly stage of denial you are in.
Then maybe some of your other points will hold some water.
Apple is not the second coming. Marketshare does count for something (especially when it is so thoroughly lopsided) and as great an OS as Apple puts out XP is just as stable and functional. Not to mention compatible with just about everything.

Apple is not dying. Apple does want to make money. Apple has to stay overpriced just to stay in business.. Otherwise how would they even make enough of a profit to sustain a viable company with such a small customer base (iPod users aside).
But get off your high horse, wake up, smell the roses, the coffee, whatever you need to. Just stop being such damn ignorant moronic fanboys. It really is sad. But I am sure you will just label yourselves elitists (aka Shmucks) who want the very best and are willing to pay anything for it. Lemmings is another term that fits a bit better I believe.

Posted by Sad and Funny on March 19, 2004 at 7:41 AM (PDT)

Macworld : December 2003

“We’re surprised at how thoroughly the PCs clobbered the Macs…”

“There’s no sugarcoating it: PCs are clearly faster.”

“The PCs were generally twice as fast as both G5s.”

Posted by Sad and Funny on March 19, 2004 at 7:45 AM (PDT)

This is what I have to say about PCs versus Macs. If you are a gamer, or just a general computer user, get a decked-out PC. If you are a creative professional, get a Mac. As long as there are (smart) creative professionals, there will ALWAYS be a market for Macs.

And to all you others, since this is supposed to be an iPod site, why are they posting “news” about Apple’s possible demise? How can they NOT expect diehard Mac fans to respond? Let’s not turn this into a flame-war, ok? Kill the Macs vs. Pc babble and just comment on the article itself. K?

Posted by its DLANTZ again.... on March 19, 2004 at 7:58 AM (PDT)

Posted by its DLANTZ again.... on March 19, 2004 at 7:59 AM (PDT)

How nice of you to spell my name wrong.  I am sure you were making some sort of a pun out of it.  If so, very funny.

“Oh Jesus Smirker you’re an a****** of the highest order and your naive elitism makes me ashamed to say I own a Mac.”

In any case, you can’t tell me that you don’t own a Mac just because it is the best at what it does for you.  Whether it be surfing the internet, graphic design or whatever.  It is an elite machine.  Apple is an elite company.  Mac users are inherently elite in some respect…whether they claim it or not, they are the people who care about image.

I am not ashamed of my comments, and you certainly cannot make me feel that way.  I don’t understand why this message board exists just to discredit and trample other people in the quest to talk the ‘loudest.’  In a postmodern sense, everyone has a valid point in here.  Also, in the same vein, the Mac is not objectively better or worse than a Wintel box…but, for some people, it is subjectively ‘better.’

Apple really does sell design and culture.  Owning a Mac is buying in to that creative universe that Apple has established.  It is getting a good computer and paying for the community and social constructions around it.  It’s not right for some people, but neither is buying a new European car.  Everyone does what fits them best…or should.  Personally, I don’t care if I own a Mac made by Apple.  I would just as gladly use a Sony VAIO or imported Toshiba.  But, my PowerBook gives me impeccable aesthetics and the graphic professional-friendly Mac OS.

Anyways, sorry if I upset you.  I don’t think it merits a personal attack on myself, but I am just an #######, so what do I know?

Posted by Nick Smerker on March 19, 2004 at 8:09 AM (PDT)

I also have to believe that since everyone on this site is interested in the $249-$499 iPod, they are willing to pay for what they perceive to be the best.  So, in that sense, we are all in the same mindset as Mac users, on a smaller scale.  Sorry, Sad and Funny.

Also, why does no one use a real name on here?  Is it fear of the people you are flaming?  I mean, come on, let’s have some credibility and responsibility for what we say.

Posted by Nick Smerker on March 19, 2004 at 8:14 AM (PDT)

Page 3 of 5 pages  <  1 2 3 4 5 >