iPod buzz hiding problems for Apple | iLounge News

iPod buzz hiding problems for Apple

MacNN reports that “MONEY Magazine’s article titled “Why iPod can’t save Apple” says the buzz on the digital music player and “swank” storefronts are masking an ebbing bottom line, noting reduced CPU sales (resulting a shrinking marketshare), decreased profits (in part due to the lower-margin iPod and little-to-no profit at the iTunes Music Store), failure of the iPod to drive CPU sales, failure of the retail stores to increase marketshare, hidden retail store costs, no operational income, and little value in the stock. [subscription required to view entire article; highlights posted below]”

« It’s all about the iPod?

Linux: Rhythmbox 0.7.1 released »

Comments

Dimension 4600 Bundle P4-2.8Ghz 17” LCD $669 shipped free

This fast desktop uses faster 800Mhz bus. It’s equivalent to faster P4/533Mhz bus but only costs $20 more.

Dell Small Business has the Dimension 4600 Performance Desktop P4-2.8Ghz HT-Technology/800Mhz bus, 256MB Dual Channel DDR 400/40GB HD, 48x CD, Word Perfect, XP Home $469 after $100 rebate, shipped free.

Click Customize It under 4600, P4-2.8Ghz/800 / XP Home / Basic Audio - Continue, $100 rebate/256/Dell 2 button Mouse/Productivity Pack/40GB Value HD/No Floppy/48xCD/Intel Extreme Graphics2/No speaker - Continue, 1 yr Basic Plan

Dell 17” LCD $220 instant discount, only +$200 with this desktop!

$100 rebate Exp 3/24/04

Posted by DellDellDellDell on March 20, 2004 at 8:47 AM (PDT)

You guys enjoy whatever computer you like.  I really don’t care.  I buy myself Macs for these reasons:
1) I’m more familiar with Macs.  I’ve used Windows and Linux PCs and I’m just not as comfortable with them.  I don’t like the paradigm, personal choice.
2) I have loads of software for my Macs already.  There are certain pieces of software that I can only get for Macs that I simply love: BBEdit, OmniGraffle, Office for Mac (yes, I prefer it to the PC version, get over it), etc.  The apps that Apple includes for free are great and better than I’d ever need.
3) I find OS X a superior development environment for me.  I always find Windows too constricting.  Linux is nice for development as well, but I haven’t found the complement of apps that makes me feel comfortable in it.
4) I like the nicities that Macs come with.  I buy Powerbooks and Powermacs, so I can count on Firewire, Gigabit ethernet, Bluetooth and a few other things that are generally extra options in most other computers.
5) I like counting on my computer being capable for 4 years with minimal upgrades.
6) Having direct access to a Unix system that I can develop for is useful.  It’s an important and necessary skill.  I’d hate to use a dual boot situation to switch between Windows (for mainstream apps/games) and Linux (for development/some other uses).  No, Cygwin is not an adequate solution for me.

I’m not a creative type (CS student about to graduate and become a software engineer) and I’m willing to pay what I do for my Macs because it’s worth it to me.  You may be happy with Windows or Linux and that’s fine.  Good for you.  Don’t #### on my choices because they’re different from yours.  There’s plenty of life in Mac computers and not just in one small division of the computing community.  It’s here to stay; get used to it.

Posted by dano on March 20, 2004 at 9:59 AM (PDT)

“Not everyone has to pay the $130 Apple Tax every year for security updates and eye candy.”

Hello?  All security updates are available for older versions of OS X if necessary.  Do like 3 seconds of research before shooting your mouth off.  There’s no one pointing a gun at someone’s head to upgrade.  You can get a long fine without upgrading.  Ignorant troll.

Posted by duke on March 20, 2004 at 10:17 AM (PDT)

you all who think that the dual 2ghz g5 is not as/almost as fast as a pc are crazy. If you READ the Macworld/PcWorld article, you will notice that those comments were made only in certain categories- and some were on poorly converted (pc to mac) progs-not mac-only progs. The mac did Also, thoughorly cream the pc in some categories, at admitted that at many things the mac isn’t as fast, but at others it was faster. The mac is still More POWERFULL with os x and 8gb of ram then a pc. there will be dual 3ghz procs byy summer. The g5 has more growing room than some pc procs. Its 64bits, which makes it way better than a p4 in many ways. Speed isnt the only way you can measure a computers performany. my mac may b slower than your pc- but you can bet i wont get any virus soon! lol.

Posted by computerperson on March 20, 2004 at 10:19 AM (PDT)

“The g5 has more growing room than some pc procs. Its 64bits, which makes it way better than a p4 in many ways.”

Yes a G5 is better than a P4, but it’s not as good as an Opteron, which as well as 64 bits has HyperTransport which enables incredibly efficient SMP.

Intel realizes it has issues with the P4, which is why it’s not enabling 64-bit processing in the Xeons (and later, P4s) and also releasing a desktop version of the P3-derived Pentium-M with 4MB of cache and low power consumption.

Posted by Opteron on March 20, 2004 at 11:42 AM (PDT)

“you all who think that the dual 2ghz g5 is not as/almost as fast as a pc are crazy.The mac is still More POWERFULL with os x and 8gb of ram then a pc. “

What would that run you through apple, about 10 grand?

Posted by Pigpen65 on March 20, 2004 at 6:03 PM (PDT)

Or if someone isn’t braindead, they can buy the 1GB DIMMs necessary for 8GB for $200 a piece.  *yawn* Pigpen, you’ve have stronger arguments than that.

Posted by duke on March 21, 2004 at 8:22 AM (PDT)

Posted by Pigpen65 on March 21, 2004 at 10:12 AM (PDT)

Pigpen65 - dont need to argue with them. thier apple fanboys. dell computer is soo cheap when they have special offer and ####. i love thier free processor upgrade. lol u can really take advantage of it. dell rules!!!

for all u dumbass apple fanboys. let see if apple have daily specail offer like dell.

Posted by mini ipod suck on March 21, 2004 at 12:44 PM (PDT)

An investment in grammar lessons would do wonders for your credibility.

Posted by Gary on March 21, 2004 at 4:04 PM (PDT)

“The argument is that Apple is overpriced. If you’re gonna buy the parts from somewhere else than this is no longer an argument.”

Getting RAM upgrades direct from any computer maker is always a ripoff.  It’s standard operating procedure for the whole industry because they know people are lazy enough to buy through them for more.  Hence, this isn’t an argument against any one company.

“An investment in grammar lessons would do wonders for your credibility.”

I hear you Gary, but if he’s not willing to invest into his computer, which he seems to spend excessive amounts of time on, then what are the chances of him investing into grammar lessons which he uses everyday (or doesn’t, based on your perspective)?

Posted by duke on March 21, 2004 at 5:25 PM (PDT)

8 gigs of RAM?!?!?
Great argument.

a 64 bit proc is real nice especially considering all the software out there optimized to actually use all that processing power. Right?

You people are still out of your minds if you think the G5 is the fastest computer out there. Unless of course you add 8 gigs of RAM!! Come on.

And before you start pushing how great a dual proc G5 is shouldn’t Apple include a power supply that doesn’t nearly burst into flames or just plain fail when it runs in a dual G5?

Posted by sad and funny on March 22, 2004 at 7:07 AM (PDT)

If people could read messages without attacking the authors, the point would have been made several dozen posts ago.  Regardless of comments about elitism, it should be noted that credibility increases dramatically with a command of grammar, syntax, punctuation, etc.  Also, an air of respect goes a long way when in dialogue with other human beings.

Posted by Nick Smerker on March 22, 2004 at 8:40 AM (PDT)

Hey Nick,

You kind of skipped over a big part there. “the point would have been made several dozen posts ago.”

What exactly is the point?

Talk about side stepping an issue. If YOU ALL are going to start debating correct usage of grammar than this argument has definitely gone dry.

Posted by Pigpen65 on March 22, 2004 at 12:03 PM (PDT)

My point was the grammar and general lack of intelligence in these discussion (especially where it rears its ugly head with personal attacks on other human beings).  Sorry if you find it worthless, though.

Posted by Nick Smerker on March 22, 2004 at 1:39 PM (PDT)

wow its amazing. look at all these english teachers. when ppl cant make thier point they start by insulting other for bad grammer. this is the internet. ever heard of english as a second language? u can take those grammer and shove it up your ###.

point and the argument is apple computer is way over price and pc computer is cheap.
apple is way over price just in gerneral.

btw.. i got an 10 gigs ipod from dell and it only cost me $230 back when dell was selling it. let see if apple can offer it at that price with coupon.

Posted by mini ipod suck on March 23, 2004 at 2:35 AM (PDT)

I own PC’s & Mac’s.  The Apples are neat and different but way over priced (my eMac G4 and G5) for what you get.  The best all around is a PC from ABC Tech with Viewsonic 17-inch LCD (16.5 ms response time) for $1500.  Too bad Apple doesn’t compete pricewise!

Posted by Andy on March 23, 2004 at 5:36 PM (PDT)

Oops…that’s ABS Tech.  Nice, well made PC’s at a good price.  My next new one will run SuSe Linux with that good ol’ UNIX underneath.

Posted by Andy on March 23, 2004 at 5:44 PM (PDT)

“wow its amazing. look at all these english teachers. when ppl cant make thier point they start by insulting other for bad grammer. this is the internet. ever heard of english as a second language? u can take those grammer and shove it up your a**.”

You’re right.  Your spelling sucks as well.  Last time I checked, even foreign speakers understand fully spelling a word (“u”?) and capitalization.  If I ever have to write in German, I make a moderate of effort to use it correctly.  You do not.

Posted by duke on March 23, 2004 at 6:24 PM (PDT)

Apple told to halt misleading claims about G5 performance
Posted: 03-30-2004 12:59 PM
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) recommended that Apple Computer stop advertising its Power Mac G5 as “the world’s fastest personal computer” after reviewing independent tests that refute that claim. Acting on a tip from Dell, the BBB told Apple that its advertising could deceive consumers, which need accurate information on which to base their purchases.

“The National Advertising Division (NAD) of the Council of Better Business Bureaus recommended that Apple, Inc. discontinue comparative performance claims regarding its Power Mac G5 personal computer,” the organization wrote in a release. “NAD determined that the evidence provided by Apple did not provide a reasonable basis for its broad unqualified claims that its Power Mac G5 is ‘the world’s fastest, most powerful computer’ and that it ‘edged out the competition on integer’ [processing performance]. NAD further determined that the advertiser’s claim, ‘the world’s first 64-bit processor for personal computers’ could reasonably be interpreted to apply to workstations ... this claim is [also] unsupported by the evidence.”

Posted by sad and funny on March 30, 2004 at 9:07 AM (PDT)

Page 5 of 5 pages « First  <  3 4 5