iPod Camera Connector available for order; First official pic | iLounge News

iPod Camera Connector available for order; First official pic

pic Apple has quietly added the iPod Camera Connector to its online store. In addition to making the connector available for order, this is also the first time an official photo of the device as been offered by Apple.

The iPod Camera Connector, which was announced alongside Apple’s new iPod photo lineup last month, provides the ability to easily transfer digital photos directly from your digital camera for instant viewing and slide show playback on an iPod photo.

Apple says the $29 device will ship in 1-3 weeks.

« Mix: Super shuffle, Free iPods, Crib, Banned iPods, Hotness

DecoDock offers Art Deco style for iPod shuffle »

Comments

thanks for the quick reply dave.

Posted by alf in ny on March 21, 2005 at 4:39 PM (PDT)

Looks awesome!

Obviously, this was made for the iPod photo, but is there any chance that they can also be used with older/non-photo iPods?

I know I can’t view the pictures, but it would at least be nice to just dump pics onto my iPod and save space on memory cards.

Posted by MacFanatic90 on March 21, 2005 at 5:53 PM (PDT)

I’ve also seen the sloooooow Belkin attachment in action.

Apple must be annoncing them to someone because I linked from MacMinute today.

I ordered one.  For $29. what can I say?  I paid twice that much for my FireWire card reader for my PowerBook.

Previously, since the iPod and PowerBook have usually been constant companions I really haven’t cared about backup space.  But now I hope to have the freedom of going places with just my iPod Photo and one of my Nikons.

Shipping time is estimated at 1-3 weeks and I’ve wasted more than $29 for card readers in the past that don’t work.  I’m guessing this one, since from Apple, WILL work.  We shall see.

(PS I noticed they also lowered the cost of Power supply/connectors to $79.00 so ordered one of those too.)  (no extension cord apparently)

Posted by glockster in U.S. on March 21, 2005 at 7:15 PM (PDT)

The updated firmware for ALL iPods was released about a month ago, with the intention of the camera connecter working with all iPods I believe…

I updated my 3G 40GB and now have a ‘Photo Import’ option.

Has anyone found a list of compatible cameras?

Posted by dickg in Melbourne, Aus. on March 21, 2005 at 7:39 PM (PDT)

I don’t understand why they can’t be watched on a tv first. i dont really care that much. but i would like the photos to be stored on the ipod in full resolution, original quality. so this kinda concerns me (it’d be a hassle to put them from cam to ipod, than have to go from cam to pc to get full resolution then back to ipod. or does something happen during the sync when you take the new photos from the ipod?

Also, i tried to click apple’s link of supported cammeras, and it wasn’t there, so . . .

Posted by Eli Stoughton on March 21, 2005 at 8:02 PM (PDT)

People, listen up.
The new iPod Photos uses a new chipset which provides a USB host controller (among other things).
This is how its now possible to transfer Photos to your iPod using your iPod with a direct connection.
Unless they have cameras with a USB host controller this adapter won’t work for older iPods.

Posted by BMaz on March 21, 2005 at 9:08 PM (PDT)

@dickg

The 3G iPod has had that since software version 2.1 It’s for the Belkin media card reader.

Posted by Daveoc64 in UK on March 21, 2005 at 11:51 PM (PDT)

@Eli Stoughton

It will copy a full resolution version from the camera and when you next sync with iTunes it will put it in your Photo Library.

The TV issue comes from how the iPod photo shows them, iTunes optimises the image for TV viewing. The iPod photo isn’t powerful enough to do that by itself so it will only let you see a small version of your photo until you sync with iTunes.

Posted by Daveoc64 in UK on March 21, 2005 at 11:55 PM (PDT)

->  BMaz

UGhhh…. Wait just one second, there. Your saying that this thing will only ‘Sync’ via USBx.x right???

So what’s the problem I thought ALL iPod’s from 3G on could sync via USBx.x I can’t charge via USBx.x (wouldn’t want to anyway!). But I do at least have the option to sync via USBx.x.

So why wouldn’t this work with say a 3G again?!?!?!

Posted by Ichijoe in Deutschland on March 22, 2005 at 12:53 AM (PDT)

ichijoe,

it is not an issue of “syncing.”  when you sync with your computer, the computer acts as the USB host.  in usb data transfer, one device must be the host, and special hardware is required to be the host.  since the older ipods do not have said hardware, they can only ever be connected to other host devices.  since most digital cameras are the same way, hooking up a 3g ipod to a digital camera = nobody is the host, therefore no connection can happen.

hope this helps.

Posted by mrn121 in Fairfax, VA on March 22, 2005 at 6:46 AM (PDT)

But can a 4G non-photo iPod download photos with the adapter?

Posted by MacFanatic90 on March 22, 2005 at 7:04 AM (PDT)

mrn121,

If what you are saying is right, so why the first version of iPod Photo is working with this adapter? Since the adapter was introduced along with the 2nd generation of ipod photo. Wouldn’t it make more sense to put the required hardware in the camera connector? Cost less to do that than to make it part of the ipod photo? Don’t you think?

I really don’t see why it would not work (well perhaps I want it to work) with my 3G ipod.

Posted by juggy on March 22, 2005 at 9:33 AM (PDT)

juggy,

i dont quite understand what you are saying, but i think that it might help to clear things up by me saying this:  it seems as though only the ipod photo has the capability to be the usb “host.”  3g ipods cannot be the host.  that is why this would not work with your 3g.  this piece does not seem to add usb host capability to an ipod, it seems to essentially just be an adapter so that a usb camera wire can plug into an ipod (which obviously does not have a usb connection on it).

it does not look like 4g non-photo ipods will be able to use this device for the simple reason that they do not have the ability to be a usb host, and this adapter does not add that ability, it merely acts as an adapter for ipods that already have that ability—namely, the ipod photo.

Posted by mrn121 in Fairfax, VA on March 22, 2005 at 12:10 PM (PDT)

Daveoc64,

My mistake!

Posted by dickg in Melbourne, Aus. on March 22, 2005 at 2:35 PM (PDT)

Thanks mrn121.
Basically the new 6GB iPod mini, the new 30 GB and 60 GB iPods all have the new chip(set).
So only those devices are physically capable of being a USB host.
So technically the new 6 GB ‘should’ be able to store photos as well.
Thats if Apple left this feature enabled.
I don’t believe this device will work with the first generation of iPod Photos.

Read more about the chipset and its features from the link below.

Posted by BMaz on March 22, 2005 at 2:51 PM (PDT)

This device will work with both the 1st and 2nd generation iPods (per Apple site… Compatible with iPod photo (30/40/60GB).
The 40GB is only 1st generation… thus we can derive it will work with both generations.

Posted by Searay on March 22, 2005 at 7:45 PM (PDT)

for info on compatibility issues, see this:

for a complete list of officially supported cameras:

hope that helps, y’all!

Posted by nubbin on March 22, 2005 at 8:08 PM (PDT)

does anyone know if the new firmware will allow the Belkin Media Reader to act as a “Camera Connector”? I’m hoping I can just unload my CF cards to the iPod Photo and view them instantly??

Posted by lancephoto in North Tampa Bay on March 25, 2005 at 7:36 AM (PDT)

Does anyone know whethere it will support USB2 transfer speeds?

Also, can it now generate thumbnails of the images it pulls off camera, to display on ipod screen?

What does it do with RAW image types?

-Nick

Posted by Nick Minutello in London on March 28, 2005 at 4:29 AM (PDT)

I just bought the iPod Photo Connector, but it won’t work on my G6 iPod classic? Anyone can help?

Posted by Kalven on May 20, 2008 at 11:28 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >