iPod Camera Connector supports video, audio importing | iLounge News

iPod Camera Connector supports video, audio importing

Following iLounge’s report earlier this week, Apple has now reposted several support documents and added new ones on the iPod Camera Connector and the iPod photo 1.1 software update.

Two of the new documents reveal further interesting details of the device. According to Apple, you can use the the Camera Connector to not only import photos, but to also transfer videos and audio (with a supported camera) to your iPod photo.

“Though you can’t view movie files on iPod photo, you can view it on your computer after you connect your iPod to your computer and transfer the file,” Apple says in one document. “If you select the file on your iPod, you will see the following message: ‘This media file cannot be viewed or played on iPod. Use QuickTime to open this file on your computer.’” The company says you will get the same message if you try to open an imported audio file.

Apple also says that the Camera Connector can import photos in the RAW image format, but that an iPod photo cannot display them. In addition, iPod photo software 1.1 enables you to use an iPod remote to control an iPod photo slideshow (previously, you could only use the Click Wheel).

The new support documents include:

How to use the iPod Camera Connector
 iPod Camera Connector: Using the USB port
 iPod Camera Connector: Supported Devices
 iPod Camera Connector: Choosing a photo importing protocol on a camera
 iPod photo: Understanding Browse Roll icons
 iPod photo: Use Delete Roll to delete imported photos
 iPod photo: Use your camera’s erase function to erase a media card completely
 iPod photo: Update software to use iPod Remote for slideshows
 iPod photo may seem to stop responding when importing movies

« BlogMatrix revamps Sparks! podcasting solution

Windows: Anapod Explorer 8.7.2 released »

Comments

Does this mean it cannot transfer RAW images to the iPod Photo or that, once transferred, the iPod Photo simply cannot display them?

Without the ability to transfer RAW images to the iPod Photo for later downloading to a computer, this connector is of no use to me.

Posted by fstop on March 25, 2005 at 11:50 AM (CST)

looks like everything is good go for RAW, thanks Apple!!!...look for the RAW icon at the bottom of this page.

Posted by boombashi on March 25, 2005 at 12:12 PM (CST)

Yeah, that’s potentially a misleading statement.

If you go to the link called “Understanding Browse Roll icons”, you’ll see that Apple actually has a RAW icon in the new 1.1 software. It says you can’t view RAW format images on your iPod. But it’s presence seems to mean they can be transferred to the iPod, just like other “unviewable” formats like audio and movies.

RAW users are probably the users who will get the most out of the Camera Connector, given RAW will fill your camera’s media much faster than JPG formats. From Apple’s own documents, it appears that RAW is accomodated for transfer, but not for viewing.

You might want to verify this and modify the line in question.

Posted by Fangorn in Texas on March 25, 2005 at 12:12 PM (CST)

Your right. I thought it was common knowledge that it wouldn’t be able to actually view them on the ipod…tranfering is all I care about anyway…it would be cool to view them, but there are so many versions of RAW format out there, that this would be pretty difficult…unless it grabbed the embedded JPEG, but not all RAW formats have those. Didn’t mean to mislead, if you were indead talking to me. The article misleads also.

Posted by boombashi on March 25, 2005 at 12:29 PM (CST)

Hey boombashi, I was referring to the line from the article quoted by fstop (“Apple also says the iPod Camera Connector will not work with the RAW image format…”) as being misleading, not to your post. Looks like you & I were both posting pretty much the same info at the same time. Sorry for the confusion.

Posted by Fangorn in Texas on March 25, 2005 at 1:21 PM (CST)

So is there any further info on the little blurb originally posted about “Your iPod may detect another iPod”?

If audio files are transferrable - does this make iPod to iPod transfer a reality?  Sure, you’d apparently have to transfer it off of your iPod and then back on, but I can deal with that…  Anyone know for sure?

Posted by honestbleeps on March 25, 2005 at 1:29 PM (CST)

Just thinking out loud…  I wonder if you could transfer photos and video from your psp to your ipod since I would assume the psps uses the same transfer protocol as there cameras

Posted by Laserhawk on March 25, 2005 at 2:15 PM (CST)

Looks like the ship date is still 4-10.

Posted by glockster in U.S. on March 25, 2005 at 3:41 PM (CST)

Am totally baffled how the thing even functions after reading that series of “enlightening” articles.  Think I’lll cancel my order and wait until someone can explain in a logical fashion how the thing works.

The description at the Apple Store IMHO is certainly no more helpful.

What I wanted:

(1)Stick the CF card in the gizmo.  It copies all the photos on the card to a folder on the iPod Photo (in disk mode).

(2)In disk mode copy the folder of images, movies, sounds, whatever in the Finder to the Mac.

In other words I thought the gizmo was a FC or media reader.  I dont have USB CF readers any more.  Pitched them all and bought FireWire FC readers (much, much faster).  Articles seem to suggest the lousy cable that came with the camera (incredibly slow; slower than USB CF readers) are supposed to be used.

Think I’ll just buy a couple more 1GB FCs and forget this thing.

Posted by glockster in U.S. on March 25, 2005 at 4:07 PM (CST)

was there any word on how fast photos will copy over to the iPod?

Posted by Chris Kawalek in USA on March 25, 2005 at 4:14 PM (CST)

Having looked at the Apple document “Understanding browse roll icons”, it seems as if just about any files could be imported (section about question mark icon) - albeit not viewed on the ipod. This turns the ipod into a storage device to read any data from memory cards via a USB reader I guess.

Posted by TripleT on March 25, 2005 at 4:17 PM (CST)

Why is Apple still neglecting the voice annotation capabilities of many cameras?  iPhoto 5 doesn’t support voice annotations and I see no indication that the iPod Camera Connector does either.

Posted by TheBum on March 25, 2005 at 9:10 PM (CST)

Possibly a “never mind” on part of my post.  I re-read the article and noticed that it said videos and audio and implied that audio-only files were supported.  So, maybe voice annotations will transfer, but there’s still the issue of iPhoto being unable to import them without the photo and annotation being combined in a QuickTime wrapper.

Posted by TheBum on March 26, 2005 at 9:37 PM (CST)

I just bought one on Friday (25th) and it said it shipped today (on a Saturday no less). At any rate, I’ll post my comments when it gets here…

Posted by tantousha in Vancouver, Canada on March 26, 2005 at 11:22 PM (CST)

I installed mine on a 60 GB iPhoto and did not think much except that my entire photo library was reoptimized, which took a long time but no problems. The amazing thing happened yesterday when I used my Belkin Media reader to transfer photos. If the photos were jpeg, a window appeared on the iPod where I could see the photo that transferred! This is the feature that Apple implemented with the new camera connector and it works with the Belkin Media Reader. In addition, after loading the photos into the iPod, there is now an option to browse your imported photos. If the photos are RAW or TIFF format a RAW appears where the photo image would be and an image is not visible. If your images were transferred as jpeg they are observable without syncing to the computer. My camera does not embed jpeg images in the RAW files, I wonder if the images would be observable under these conditions. Anyone tried yet? Anyway, I had no problems updating to the 1.1 software.  I am quite pleased with the new features and would rather use the Media Reader than the camera connector—the Reader has its own batteries so you don’t drain the camera, you can keep shooting if you have another card and the media reader accepts several different types of cards.  I had ordered the camera connector but cancelled it as the Media Reader does everything I need.  The upload speed to the iPod is not great but tolerable.  If the camera connector is much faster I would consider getting one.  Let us know how it works.

Posted by brad in Boulder, CO on March 27, 2005 at 10:12 AM (CST)

My canon 350 Dig SLR imbeds jpegs in the raw files. Does that mean i will be able to view the images on the ipod?

Posted by systimax on March 27, 2005 at 6:49 PM (CST)

My Apple iPod Camera connector has arrived! (i live in London, UK) I’m using a 40gb 1st Gen iPod photo, and a Canon Digital IXUS 40 Camera (not one listed on Apple’s site, but it does use PTP).

I do however have some major issues with the camera connector. The speed aint great (the IXUS is however USB 1.1 so that is understandable)... but on my second time trying to import some photos, I realised that there was a massive movie file on the camera, so I hit “stop and save” - but it just hanged. I disconnected it and am about to see what happens after that. Hopefully this is just my one off teething problem.

When you insert the camera connector you get this “connecting” then “no card inserted”
Then one connects the USB cable from your camera and turn it on. It will list the number of photos and the size they take up, and you have the options of Import or Cancel. After the import you can erase the contents of your card, or simply hit “Done” and browse the (jpg) photos. You can even delete the roll of photos you have just imported. When you sync with your computer, iPhoto opens, and you can import the photos and delete the contents after importing if you so choose. Image Capture however does not work with the iPod photo. You can view the photos on your iPod photo via disk mode however - there are two new folders in there, one for thumbnails, and one where the photos are stored.

Posted by scorpionsting in London on March 28, 2005 at 6:50 AM (CST)

bigbadbertie,

Thank you for the info.  Would you mind posting the results of your experiences, particularly with unlisted cameras, in this thread:

I am trying to start comprehensive a list of unmentioned cameras that are compatible for inquiring minds.  Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted by mrn121 in Fairfax, VA on March 28, 2005 at 8:25 AM (CST)

Anyone know if non RAW images are compressed when importing to the photo Ipod via camera connector?  I wouldn’t want any loss of quality when I import images from my photo Ipod to my computer.

Posted by dj35 on March 29, 2005 at 5:27 AM (CST)

Got my adapter last night. Overall I’m happy with it. A few things to note. I have a Canon Rebel XT, it works fine with this camera. If you shoot with the RAW+JPEG, it will download both the JPEG and RAW picts, and display the JPEG. Obviously if you have it set to shoot only RAW, it shows up as a RAW icon that cannot be viewed. A non-powered USB Card Reader will not work :( I was a little disappointed about that. Also, it is definately NOT a speed demon. I haven’t copied a full 1GB card yet, but I’m guessing it would take 20 min or more.

Posted by boombashi on March 31, 2005 at 10:45 AM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >