iPod captures 58% market share in US | iLounge News

iPod captures 58% market share in US

During the opening moments of the Keynote at Apple Expo Paris, Vice President of WorldWide Marketing, Phil Schiller told the audience that the iPod has captured 58 percent share of the digital music player market since June 2004.

« Griffin announces PodPod cup holder cradle for iPods

iTunes Music Store in all EU countries in October »

Comments

this appears to be a far cry from 80% smth bragged about few months back…  not that I care really but if this is the case then media outlets will have a bone to chew, dogs

Posted by alex on August 31, 2004 at 1:53 AM (PDT)

80% was (and probably still is) for hard drive based digital music players. A few weeks ago, iPod was 50% of ALL digital players market share. In fact that’s a 8 points increase !

Posted by niko on August 31, 2004 at 2:06 AM (PDT)

Get a clue Alex.  Stop putting the “Michael Moore Twist” on your stats.

Posted by The Raven in USA on August 31, 2004 at 3:06 AM (PDT)

This sounds like the usual Apple hype. They used to do the same thing with the Mac, invent a (secret) internal classification of office-computer-running-graphical-ui-and-laser-printer that fitted mostly the Mac then claim they “owned” like 85% of that “market”.

There’s no independent verification of these alleged numbers. No explanation of what markets they apply to, are we talking dollar volume or units shipped or units sold. Are we including the sub $100 mp3 player market? Do we include the several tens of millions of mp3- and WMA-enabled mobile phones sold or the several million just released streaming media mobiles?

Apple is as guilty of spreading FUD as anyone else. They spend more on hospitality and whores to gin up their press coverage, better believe it!

Posted by verification on August 31, 2004 at 3:46 AM (PDT)

Regardless of the percentage…

When I walk around campus and people are listening to music, its a ipod

When I walk around homedepot and shop for curtains and I see kids with their parents listening to their music, its an ipod

Pretty much what I am trying to say is that they own the market…58%, 80% whatever it is I would love to have been the Director of whatever division is in charge of the iPod…

Posted by stats on August 31, 2004 at 4:38 AM (PDT)

No matter how well Apple does in this technology market, there will always be negative criticism towards Apple. Regardless of the leaps in technology that it creates, everyone seems to copy from Apple, Apple will be looked at as second best and to what? Face it, the world fashions themselves to Apple. The iPod and iTunes are just two of the major factors in this reality. It seems that everyone is out to rival Apple and its products and no one has even come close. It is the standard to beat and the sales no matter what the numbers or percentages, prove it. Simplicity, ease of use and operation and finally, technology is the combination that makes Apple stand out from the crowd. Too many times and instances, we are reluctant to face the truth and to face change but Apple embraces that culture and builds upon it and gives to the masses what it looks for - something new and something fresh.

Posted by ezflyer on August 31, 2004 at 5:10 AM (PDT)

when I go jogging at 6am each morning and I cross someone who is listening to an Ipod, I beat them up and steal it

When I walk around campus and people are listening to an Ipod, I beat them up and steal it

When I walk around homedepot and shop for curtains and I see kids with their parents listening to their Ipod, I beat them up and steal it

Posted by Give it to me! on August 31, 2004 at 5:53 AM (PDT)

When the people who hate Apple/iPod (or pretend to to troll) are THIS immature, you know Apple’s onto a good thing smile

Posted by Nagromme on August 31, 2004 at 7:26 AM (PDT)

I thought “Give it to me!” was maybe the funniest, cleverest articl I’ve read here in a long while.

Posted by funny on August 31, 2004 at 8:11 AM (PDT)

Not when your the guy who was “on campus”

Posted by jkmacguru on August 31, 2004 at 9:03 AM (PDT)

“verification”, you do know that FUD actually stands for “fear, uncertainty, and doubt” and does not necessarily mean the same thing as fake information, lies, right?

Posted by Sraphim on August 31, 2004 at 7:20 PM (PDT)

aparently funny doesnt get out much…

Posted by not so funny on August 31, 2004 at 9:29 PM (PDT)

Apple is 70% flash, 30% substance.  But oh what flash it is.  Marketing, catchy slogans, high-prices…they definitely are good salesmen.
Case in point:  shuffle is now a “first-level” item.  I challenge anyone who has actually used this feature who thinks this is a big advancement.  But on the website they call the new shuffle feature “ipod roulette” or something like that.  Simply amazing.
Apple got lucky with the ipod, but in 3 years, it ain’t going to have 58% market share or whatever.  There is just no way this happens.  The ipod is pretty much the same player it always was from gen 1, while every other maker has added fm radio, recording capabilities, etc.  The UI is rougher, but you can’t honestly tell me that in 3 years a UI won’t come out that rivals apple’s?  Rio’s are supposedly pretty good and simple, even though their products have more features.  Furthermore, Apple’s history itself:  they’ve never ever, ever held onto any leads in market share, ever. Not with the mac vs ibm days, newton, etc.  I doubt the ipod will be any different.  If Sony could lose the walkman, Apple certainly can lose the ipod.

Posted by butch on August 31, 2004 at 10:37 PM (PDT)

As long as new/improved jukeboxes are made, new online music store started, and new digital formats developed there will never be steady state equilibrium. Every “percentage of market share” quoted is simply a snap shot of time.

Still, I think iPod is the current best all-round device and I don’t think that its competitors have shown any comparative innovation, elegance, usefulness, and functionality.

Posted by meat of moose on September 1, 2004 at 1:27 AM (PDT)

Of course technology and design is always changing. Whatever one buys is already “old” once they leave the store. Do you not think that all of these companies, including Apple, are already in the process of designing for the next wave of gadgets. Regarding the iPod design as stated by butch “The ipod is pretty much the same player it always was from gen 1” may hold true, but it seems that Apple has done something right with the iPod that seems to grasp over 3 million owners of the iPod since its introduction. I just want to listen to my music and not carry around a Swiss Army knife. As meat of moose stated, I think the iPod is the current best all-round device and I don’t think that its competitors have shown any comparative innovation, elegance, usefulness, and functionality - priceless.

Posted by ezflyer on September 1, 2004 at 4:11 AM (PDT)

I’m thrown both ways. I agree that the iPod is over priced etc, but the newer generations pushed te prices down, the 40GB now costs the same as my 3G 20GB so it works both ways.

I don’t think Apple will lose the iPod as Butch said. They are the new walkman, which was lost because of the iPod, which always seems to be one step ahead of the game in size factor etc.

When was the last time you went to a music festival to find a walkman zone.
Although i found it pointless, and didn’t bring my iPod because I was at a music festival, to have an iPod zone was the ‘coolest’ thing I’ve seen, it shows how big they really are.

And the festival I’m talking about is V festival, and they had a zone dedicated to iPods, which is impressive

Posted by silver_haze20 on September 1, 2004 at 2:07 PM (PDT)

As for the person commenting on the new shuffle feature, I thought the same thing until I got one of the new 4G models.  I use the shuffle feature all the time,  and having it on the first screen is great.  Yes you could do the same thing before but now its more convenient.  It really depends on how you listen to music on your ipod, I used to only have full albums but then I have too much music to do that.  I found myself leaving things off my ipod because I didnt have space.  I broke down and took the approach my wife did and just start loading songs.  I did create greatest hits on artists who have more than 1 cd.  This is why I use the shuffle feature, every song now loaded on the ipod is a good one, no more skipping over to the next track.  It is now a jukebox rather than a walkman, I knew I could do the same before but never did.  Seeing it in writing makes me use the feature more.

As for the Rio, the screwed up big time, I had a couple of them back in the day and yes they were the best thing but taking 3 years to comeout with a new product only to be flash devices was their downfall.  Why would I spend my money for a 512meg when I could get a harddrive player for a few dollars more.  They are finally entering the market with the carbon but its too late.  One last thing on them, if you have noticed all their workout players are geared for right handed people with the way the buttons are placed.  I’m left handed, do you think I want to buy one of them?

Rio started the mp3 revolution but will end up losing to Apple.

Posted by Mardenhill on September 3, 2004 at 4:24 AM (PDT)

“when I go jogging at 6am each morning and I cross someone who is listening to an MP3 player, its an ipod”

I workout 3x a week at a club on treadmills and anytime i get up to a jogging speed my iPod is skipping within a few minutes. *sigh*

Posted by Boaguy on September 4, 2004 at 7:53 AM (PDT)

“I don’t think that its competitors have shown any comparative innovation, elegance, usefulness, and functionality.”

You’ve obviously never used an iRiver hard disk player, or an Achos video player.

Posted by whateverdude on September 4, 2004 at 11:07 AM (PDT)