iPod cases made from recycled vinyl records introduced | iLounge News

iPod cases made from recycled vinyl records introduced

image

Contexture Design has introduced a new line of iPod cases made from recycled vinyl records. The one-of-a-kind “45” cases are composed of thermoformed vinyl records, felt padding, cork, and have a plexiglass screen protector. The cases—available in albums from artists such as Frank Sinatra, Tom Jones and John Lennon—also feature openings for the Click Wheel, headphone jack and hold switch. The 45 iPod cases are custom built to fit fourth and fifth generation iPods—from 20GB to 80GB. They are priced at $45 each.

« iPod speaker clones increase, confusing buyers

Microsoft CEO claims Zune market share, laughs at iPhone »

Comments

Cute. I wonder how much they’ll be.

Posted by cxc273 on January 19, 2007 at 9:42 AM (PDT)

looks like $45 plus $15 shipping plus tax where applicable.

Posted by bubbleboy on January 19, 2007 at 9:49 AM (PDT)

How long before we see recycled compact discs reformed into hard cases…...

...hmmm, wanders off to garage with CD, iPod and blow torch….

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on January 19, 2007 at 10:06 AM (PDT)

The choices for cases are awful. It doesn’t seem like they chose albums to correspond to the target market. Who wants KC and the Sunshine Band to be all over their iPod case?

Posted by DevonS31 in Westfield, NJ on January 19, 2007 at 10:47 AM (PDT)

email i just received from the company:
‘Hi James - Cost is in Canadian dollars, we are based in Vancouver BC.  Thanks for your interest in 45!  Trev’

so that’d be $38.32 plus the shipping.

Posted by james on January 19, 2007 at 11:11 AM (PDT)

Sweet…..I can finally get a new copy of License to Ill (B E A S T I E… ohh yee htatts me!)

Posted by Guano Man on January 19, 2007 at 2:03 PM (PDT)

Boo, the vinyl record will outlive the iPod (hopefully).

Posted by Peter Harding on January 19, 2007 at 5:42 PM (PDT)

Can i send my own 45 in to be made into a case?

Posted by kar2n on January 19, 2007 at 8:08 PM (PDT)

I like the idea of this, but I’d rather have a fake record than one with the music of a great artist be warped into an iPod case. I love my iPod, but I’d much rather have a piece of vinyl with John Lennon’s voice than another case.

Posted by Eric on January 20, 2007 at 1:39 PM (PDT)

I have a problem with “recycling” LP records. As a record collector, I have thousands of LPs that aren’t available on CD and most likely never will be. Destroying perfectly good records to make into a plastic case to me is like burning books to run a generator to power a TV set.

See ya
Steve

Posted by Stephen Worth in North Hollywood, CA on January 20, 2007 at 3:30 PM (PDT)

Utter sacrilege…anyone who owns vinyl knows the marked difference between digital music and vinyl—it is like making love with or without prophylactic.

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on January 20, 2007 at 4:53 PM (PDT)