iPod changed rock ‘n’ roll | iLounge News

iPod changed rock ‘n’ roll

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, June 8, 2004
News Categories: iPod

MacMinute reports that “this month’s Rolling Stone lists the iPod among “The 50 Moments that Changed Rock ‘n’ Roll.” It says the Apple device has ‘revolutionized the way we listen to music” and that by the end of 2003 “the iPod has become a cultural phenomenon.’”

« Sennheiser launches interactive “TrueSound Lounge”

How does AirTunes work? »

Comments

Sex Pistols, Nirvana, Ipod.  Yeah, I can see that.

Posted by jfk99 on June 8, 2004 at 9:23 AM (PDT)

How many people own an iPod? One or two percent of the US population maybe?

Maybe ten years from now if they’re still around and still the number one portable music player, but I think the journalist jumped the gun and was too excited about the new mini iPod she just bought last month.

Posted by Ryan on June 8, 2004 at 10:29 AM (PDT)

if you’re going to say revolutionized how we lsiten to music, pick Napster, Winamp, or even the MP3 format. THOSE are the pioneers of digital music. a very select few actually own iPods (and music was always portable, with walkmen/cds), versus the many, many people who now listen to MP3s because of the roads paved by Napster/Winamp.

Posted by eric on June 8, 2004 at 10:56 AM (PDT)

Maybe it’s my age at 43. But Napster, WinAMP, and MP3 didn’t revolutionize music for me.

Not Napster because the sound quality of most of the songs were c**p.

Not WinAMP because until iTunes with better quality MP3 songs I didn’t have very songs on my computer. Why bother when I had all my songs on CD. I would just put in a CD and listen to much better sound quality songs.

MP3 sort of but that was only because that’s what iTunes used in the beginning. But it wasn’t so much the file format but that iTunes was really easy to use, allowed me to legally buy single songs (I rarely like more than 3 songs per CD) and again the sound quality of songs was MUCH better than what could be found on Napster.

But CDs were a pain in the a** to the point that I didn’t listen to music more than a couple hours a week.

Now with my iPod I listen to about 10 to 15 hours of music a week. Which doesn’t include audiobooks that I get at the library and load onto my iPod. And yes, I do delete them when I’m finished listening to them. I have also bought a few audiobooks too. I keep those since I paid for them.

Posted by Sabon on June 8, 2004 at 1:23 PM (PDT)

I’ve yet to see the entire list, but I think if any music player changed the face of Music, the WalkMan has probably had more influence than the iPod. For the first time, people were able to take music with them where ever. The iPod simply expanded on that.

I also agree that Napster and MP3 is a bigger revolution than the iPod. It definitely changed the way the music industry deals with a new generation of listeners.

iPod and iTMS combination, however, is revolutionary. Together, they created a new business model for the music industry and showed them how to ride the wave of technology to the future instead of fighting it.

Posted by Starboard on June 8, 2004 at 5:52 PM (PDT)

I like how the iPod sort of took the walkman to the next level.  As far as taking music with you I see the walkman as the start of that.  But now with an iPod you can tak your ENTIRE music collection with you.  For me it revolutionized the way I listen to music in that I could listen to ANY song or cd I wanted to.  I didn’t have to wait till I got home where the cd was left because I didn’t want to or feel like dragging around a GIANT cd carrying case.  As far as Napster, I never listened to mp3s untill I got an iPod so most of them are AACs.  I agree with Starboard in that the iPod and iTMS are pushing the music industry in a new direction.  Plus it’s great to finally have that “one” song you loved, but didn’t want to buy the cd cause the rest of it sucked.

Posted by brian on June 8, 2004 at 6:28 PM (PDT)

Wasn’t the whole Metallica vs. Napster thing and kazaa’s RIAA “let’s sure 12 yr olds” controversy what revolutionized music because people finally had a alternative way to get music for free because of the rising cd prices. When the kid who owned napster was hit with a lawsuit and put on the cover of several magazines people took notice. All the artists were complaing that they were being robbed of money because of all these “kids” downloading mp3s.

The ipod, as great as it is right now and what the other person above just mentioned, just expanded on the notion that we can now get music “legally” and travel with it in a convenient way. In 10 years if the ipod is still the #1 player than Rolling Stone can hype it up and call it something but it’s still too early.

I mean isn’t Sony’s new product coming out now. What’s it called again? On tech tv they were all hyping it up calling it the next best thing.

Posted by irock_ipod on June 8, 2004 at 8:30 PM (PDT)

The most significant and earth shattering thing to ever hit the music industry is the ability to record music and thus listen to it over and over without the “band” being there.  All of the devices that came after are technically, just improvments over that first recording technology.  Better sound quality, longer lasting medium, portability, downloadability, etc.  But that doesn’t mean the devices that came after that are not revolutionary.  The walkman was revolutionary as were CDs, Car stereos and yes iPod and iTunes.  When we have 500GB iPod devices that can hold 10,000 songs at DVD audio quality, that will also be revolutionary.  When Apple is allowed to sell all albums as complete albums and all artists are on iTunes or whatever, that will also be revolutionary.

Nothing can halt progress, not even the RIAA.

Posted by jfk99 on June 9, 2004 at 7:16 AM (PDT)

Yay! I applaud freedom of speech…

Sadly, though, its generally wasted bein frakin negative….  :(

I say, Yay! the iPod saved my very soul! It got me back to enjoying the soundtrack of my life, music, and got me to [B]TURN [I]OFF[/I][/B] the propaganda that is today’s talk radio

/wanders off on the path to enlightenment listening to my iPod

Posted by XBarbarian on June 9, 2004 at 4:43 PM (PDT)

i dunno if u guys hav noticed but rockers tend 2 hav minidiscs? or is it just me?

Posted by Snowy in Australia on June 10, 2004 at 11:27 PM (PDT)