iPod classic 1.1 line out voltage bug reported | iLounge News

iPod classic 1.1 line out voltage bug reported

Following Apple’s release of the latest software for iPod classic, version 1.1, some users are reporting that the device now emits pulses of electrical current through its bottom line-out audio pins when it is turned off. According to a series of reports on the Head-Fi audio forums, in which users frequently connect high-end headphones to their iPods using bottom-connecting amplifier accessories, static-like noises and distortion can be heard from the turned-off iPod classic, resulting from what user Nine from Littleton, Colorado reports as “~.5v of DC on the line out whenever the iPod is off.”

“This could be really bad for your headphones if you are connected through a DC coupled amplifier (like my mini^3),” the user says. “I also plugged it into my scope, and verified the .5v is usually just DC, but that occasionally (maybe 10% of the time) it’s got some triangular pulses on it.” While this issue does not appear to affect the classic’s headphone port, and won’t impact the majority of iPod users’ headphones, those using Dock Connector-based amplifiers may want to downgrade their iPods to an earlier version of the firmware, or exercise caution when using other iPod accessories. [Thanks, Larry]

« PumpOne launches exercise video site for iPhone, iPod touch

iLive debuts new iPod sound bar system »

Comments

I actually experience the same problem. Since upgrading tot version 1.1 my ipod activates my logitech mm50 every minute.

Posted by Ward on January 28, 2008 at 4:56 PM (CST)

I have the same problem on my 160gb iPod, but mine is very random.  When the line out is plugged into a dock or in my car, and turned off, it might happen 2 or 3 times a week where I get the odd buzzing through my speakers.  Unplugging it and reconnecting always makes it go away for that session.  It is very strange.  My dock is powered and my car connection is not, so it doesn’t seem to matter if power is going into the iPod.  It only matters if the iPod is off.

Posted by orange-man on January 28, 2008 at 5:02 PM (CST)

The hissing and static fault is also present through the headphone jack.

Posted by dimmer on January 28, 2008 at 6:45 PM (CST)

Yes, static and hissing comes through the headphone port while iPod is turned off as well. Sadly, this type of thing has become par for the course with just about EVERYTHING Apple does lately.

Posted by John on January 28, 2008 at 6:49 PM (CST)

Same here.  I just upgraded to 1.1 on my iPod Classic today and had my AKG’s plugged in the headphone jack - turned the iPod off and got a terrible buzz. Had to turn it off and on twice to make it stop.

Posted by Jake on January 28, 2008 at 9:31 PM (CST)

This isn’t really news if you read the Apple Discussion boards…I’m just surprised it took so long for this to be posted to iLounge. Not really much of a scoop, guys. :)

Posted by Skatter on January 28, 2008 at 11:53 PM (CST)

This is not intended to be a “scoop,” it’s supposed to inform members of the iPod community about something that may affect the performance of their iPods and headphones. Next time, if you see something that may interest your fellow readers here, please send a tip to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) so that we can keep people better informed, sooner.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on January 29, 2008 at 7:08 AM (CST)

I’m also getting the same thing from the top headphone jack when using my Shure E530’s. Also get really bad static hiss when using the apple ipod radio remote during music playback.

Posted by Coop on January 29, 2008 at 7:31 AM (CST)

It’s a bit of a cheek asking readers to submit items of interest when this topic has been raging on your own forums for days and days. 1.1 was originally released on the 16th I believe, it’s now the 29th and this is the first mention that iLounge has made of the new firmware.
Maybe, as also mentioned in the forums, everyone is focussing only on the iPhone and iTouch now??

Posted by stevehulse on January 29, 2008 at 8:51 AM (CST)

I think the report is incorrect when it says that the majority of iPod Classic users won’t be affected. I guess that’s based on the assumption that only the line-out is affected, but my experience, as well as several other comments here, is that the headphone jack also exhibits the problem.

Posted by WeedMonkey on January 29, 2008 at 9:13 AM (CST)

Steve: There are now multiple complaints over every single iPod firmware and iTunes software upgrade. Quite honestly it becomes a bit hard to track all of them, let alone determine which are legitimate and which are not.

We do our best, with the forums and news articles on the site, to cover everything that’s going on, but that’s not always easy. During the week the new firmware was released, we had five editors working in San Francisco to cover hundreds of new iPod, iPhone, iTunes and Apple TV developments. Though the release of new Movie Rental-ready iPod software was mentioned in our show coverage, we had a lot of other things to cover.

As noted above, if there is something important to you, please bring it to our attention—this is a community site, and while it’s easy to take advantage of what we offer, we appreciate it when people contribute a little as well.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on January 29, 2008 at 9:19 AM (CST)

I take it this only affects the “iPod Classic” from the G6 line?  I have a G5 video iPod, 30 Gb, running iPod firmware 1.2.1 ... and I’ve not yet noticed anything like this.

Posted by Randall on January 29, 2008 at 11:43 AM (CST)

Forgot to mention… iTunes is now asking me if I want to upgrade my iPod software to 1.2.3 ...

Comments?  Advice?  Suggestions?  :}

Posted by Randall on January 29, 2008 at 11:46 AM (CST)

If my iPod/s are not exhibiting any problems I prefer to not rush into any updates.

If your 5G is working and the latest up date adds nothing new to what you have then I’d say wait…

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on January 29, 2008 at 12:02 PM (CST)

same here by dock and by phones port, + a little bip when a song finish and change to the next. ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

Posted by gonzalo on January 30, 2008 at 5:37 AM (CST)

noticed the same problem on the headphones output…what i do is i just pause the current track before turning it off…

Posted by amethyst_arr on February 1, 2008 at 10:38 PM (CST)