iPod classic Firmware 1.1.1 fixes hissing problem | iLounge News

iPod classic Firmware 1.1.1 fixes hissing problem

Apple recently released iPod classic Firmware 1.1.1, which appears to fix a problem where an audible hiss was apparent when the unit was turned off. Some users have speculated that the hiss was a byproduct of a feature that allowed the classic to wake from sleep upon insertion of headphones; that feature no longer works in 1.1.1. Other users have complained of audio still being audible even when the volume is set to zero (an issue that pre-dates this update); Apple has a support document on the issue, which says “If you want the iPod audio to be silent, press the Play/Pause button to pause playback.” iPod classic Firmware 1.1.1 is available now through the update feature in iTunes.

« Vodafone CEO calls for fewer mobile OS platforms

T-Mobile to offer iPhone in Austria »

Comments

Still not fixed: Interface sluggishness, Click Wheel insensitivity.

For these reasons (only), the Classic is still an embarassment compared to all iPods before it. It never should have left Apple’s factory in this somewhat unfinished state.

Posted by The Doctor on February 12, 2008 at 12:45 PM (PDT)

Great. Can’t fix the problem? Then heck, just delete the feature (allowing the classic to wake from sleep upon insertion of headphones).

Posted by WeedMonkey on February 12, 2008 at 3:57 PM (PDT)

WeedMonkey, in this case removing the feature was by far the best option.  If you were following the hissing problem, it was caused by a very significant DC offset which can damaged headphones.  A quick fix was needed and if removing the feature was the fastest way to do that, then by all means - the feature can wait for a future release.

Posted by zip22 on February 12, 2008 at 4:53 PM (PDT)

Not only that, but it wasn’t much of a ‘feature’ to begin with. It’s not exactly a lot of work to wake an iPod from sleep by flicking the hold switch or, you know, touching the Click Wheel.

Posted by Multimoog on February 12, 2008 at 6:02 PM (PDT)

Plus the wake from sleep upon insert (oo-er missus) doesn’t work on 1.1.0 anyway.

Posted by Chris Matchett in London on February 13, 2008 at 12:34 AM (PDT)

Normally, I use my 160G classic as a external hard disk. and it’s work with itunes too!

Posted by proh26 on February 13, 2008 at 1:10 AM (PDT)

And iPod nano? i have the problem in the nano too, and the update for this doesn’t exist… Somebody have the same problem with nano like me?

Posted by rubens on February 13, 2008 at 8:10 AM (PDT)

Have the random pauses mid-song been fixed yet?

Posted by XRayLexx on February 14, 2008 at 12:10 AM (PDT)

Has anyone had any problems installing this update. I installed it but the version on my iPod still whoes as 1.1 and every time I start iTunes I get asked if I want to install the update. I have tried to install it around 5 times.

Posted by RichardDBlake on February 15, 2008 at 7:58 AM (PDT)

1.1 and now 1.1.1 both cause my 160GB Classic to crash when “shuffle songs” is selected.  Has anyone else had this problem and is there a solution short of downgrading to 1.0.3 (which I have tried and worked BTW but I had to reformat and reinstall all of my 130GB’s of music.)

Posted by oneydee on February 29, 2008 at 5:33 PM (PDT)

mine is bound to be the most messed up ipod on the planet.
i have the new iPod Classic 80GB

i have got the lastest itunes (7.7.1)
and the lastest iPod software (1.1.2)

my ipod can be sync-ed to my computer and has no errors, since i have restored it, which fixed these errors that i did have at first.

after i have transfered my all my music to my iPod with no hassle. and i eject the iPod then thats when it go messed up.

I can only play a few songs on my ipod out of the 200 i put on there to start with. and if i select to play a song that it will, for some reason, decide not to play, it will freeze the iPod, and therefore, i have to keep reseting my iPod.

I have tried all of the 5 R’s on the apple site which still not resolved this. i then had it sent off to them, and they said that there is no problem with my iPod, but when i tried it again, it was still doing the same thing.

the only thing i am going to try now, is to downgrade my iPod’s software. and if that dont work, then maybe install an alternative software, like: Rockbox or PaddoX.

If anyone has a solution to this problem instead of having to downgrade my ipod, please contact me.

E-Mail Address: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted by stunty13 on August 18, 2008 at 5:34 PM (PDT)

tanks

Posted by jorge on June 2, 2011 at 12:00 PM (PDT)