iPod classic still available; 160GB for $249 | iLounge News

iPod classic still available; 160GB for $249

image

Despite Apple CEO Steve Jobs’ statement that the company was announcing all new designs for every iPod model, the company’s legacy iPod classic, which hasn’t seen a major redesign since its introduction in 2007, remains in the lineup. The device, which offers audio, photo, and video playback capabilities, is still available from Apple’s online store, and offers 160GB of storage for $249. The iPod classic was not mentioned during today’s traditional Fall iPod event, providing further evidence that Apple has shifted its focus to the iOS-powered iPod touch and presumably better-selling shuffle and nano models, although it is mentioned at the bottom of the press releases for Apple’s latest iPods.

« Gallery: Photos of 2010 iPods, Apple TV posted

New iPods, Apple TV now available for pre-order »

Comments

Oddly enough, the iconic iPod has become the looney relative that Apple doesn’t want to talk about.

Posted by rockmyplimsoul on September 1, 2010 at 11:57 AM (PDT)

sad…

Posted by crash613 on September 1, 2010 at 12:04 PM (PDT)

very sad to let it go like that ;(

Posted by alex estrada on September 1, 2010 at 12:13 PM (PDT)

That was one of the worst devices ever. hated it.

Posted by Sardar Mohkim Khan on September 1, 2010 at 12:18 PM (PDT)

Why does apple thik that people who want large capacity don’t want a large screen?

Posted by Jeff on September 1, 2010 at 12:21 PM (PDT)

Such a sad end for a revolutionary product that started it all… Now he’s treated like the outsider.

Posted by Pilot on September 1, 2010 at 12:24 PM (PDT)

@Jeff, you cannot have a large screen for classic iPod. They still use hard disk (spinning one) and not flash memory. So, it will be horrible experience using touch on a device that doesn’t have flash memory. However, they can probably have 160GB of flash memory and have touch.. but that will be one pricey iPod

Posted by Raghu on September 1, 2010 at 12:25 PM (PDT)

@Raghu, spot on - that’s why you can’t have a portable device with a hardisk and a large screen. Ow, umm. What about a laptop? Hmmm…Maybe there’s something more to this…

Posted by Claustral on September 1, 2010 at 12:55 PM (PDT)

Perhaps this is a “stopgap” carry-over until there’s 128+ GB iPod Touch, iPad, and/or iPhone?

Let me know when these go on clearance… I have the first of the line to be called “Classic,” which is to say it’s pushing 4 years of age. It won’t last forever and will need replacement.

Posted by Farnsworth on September 1, 2010 at 1:11 PM (PDT)

@Sardar: BALONEY! The iPOd Classic 160 GB is a wonderful device for carrying a large amount of music all over when traveling. To call it one of the worst devices ever is ridiculous.

Posted by sallenmd on September 1, 2010 at 1:27 PM (PDT)

The iPod Classic is the best bang for your buck especially if your a music lover like me.they need to try and make the Classic thinner,and lighter those are the only thing i can think of,the Classic is flawless! long battery life and TONS of space for Music,Movies,Photos,who could as for anything more!

Posted by Daniel Cx on September 1, 2010 at 2:57 PM (PDT)

The Ipod classic is still an extremely useful device.  There are many of us who still value the 160GB for its enormous audio and video capacity.  If you are not a gamer, what other MP3 player even comes close?

Posted by Martin L on September 1, 2010 at 3:44 PM (PDT)

I loath having to pick and choose from my library.  I prefer to carry it all and pick an album depending on my mood and environment.

I also prefer the hardware buttons when driving as I can use it without having to specifically look at the device.

It’s also nice to not have to worry about battery life for days and days on end.

Very happy to see it’s not being dropped.

Posted by Craig on September 1, 2010 at 7:23 PM (PDT)

#10, 11, and 12 - Exactly!  I am thinking the comment at #4, he is just talking out of his @$$.  I am a music lover myself and I use my 160 gig Classic all of the time in the car when commuting to work (have a dedicated hook-up for the iPod in both the car and the truck), or on long flights.  It is so nice to have that much music available that I can select from when my mood strikes.  Using a good pair of headphones, such as my Klipsch Custom-3s make it that much better.  Yes, I do also have an iPod Touch, which is fun to play games on and tinker around with, and I may even consider upgrading to this new 4th G one, but it seems I am more than likely to reach for the trusty ol’ Classic when I just want to listen to music.

As much as I would’ve loved to have seen a 320 gig upgrade, perhaps even with bluetooth capability, but I have a feeling that once flash memory starts seeing the capacity, it may well be the end of the “classic” series.  Maybe for next year in the fall, they will come up with a special 10th anniversary edition and end it on that as the last “hurooh” for this venerable device.

Posted by SkiBumMSP on September 1, 2010 at 8:22 PM (PDT)

Ilove my ipod classic and i always will… And i agree with #11!!!

Posted by Laris Furnier on September 1, 2010 at 8:52 PM (PDT)

Let’s not forget about Apple’s commitment to iPod-integrated car manufacturers. Any iOS device is not safe, nor practical to connect to a car. My iPod Classic sits in my glovebox via a 30-pin connector, which also charges, and allows steering wheel control. I’d hate to see all that functionality pushed aside for new iOS devices.

Posted by Michael W on September 1, 2010 at 9:25 PM (PDT)

Out of curiosity, where does it mention the ipod classic in press releases? I don’t see it anywhere.

Posted by Brandon Glick on September 2, 2010 at 1:05 AM (PDT)

Personally, I still use my iPod classic for longer trips or social settings where having my entire collection available is useful. It’s also a great way to stock up a bunch of videos to watch in a hotel room when travelling.

On a daily basis, however, the iPod classic sits at home in favour of my 32GB iPhone, which stores enough of my music for my normal listening habits, especially when combined with iTunes Smart Playlists that can easily keep current and favorite stuff on the device without my having to worry about it.

@Michael W (#16): With iOS 4.x Apple introduced a new “iPod Out” feature that is supposed to allow for easier integration with car systems, which is effectively their only “commitment” to iPod-integrated car manufacturers at this point.  smile

To be fair, however, many car systems already support the iOS devices since it’s not that difficult to do.  The iPod Out technology is simply designed to allow for more efficient control of an iOS-based device with a standardized menu system rather than requiring each manufacturer to cobble together their own.  The biggest issue, of course, is that it’s going to require car manufacturers to catch up with the technology and people with older systems may end up being left out in the cold, as firmware updates seem to be rare for in-car systems.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on September 2, 2010 at 5:51 AM (PDT)

I love my 160G ipod.  I will never get rid of it.  I love carrying my entire music collection everywhere I go, and can dial up any song that pops in my head.  I have yet to even consider getting a ipod Touch.  I’m all for the storage factor.

Posted by angellovef on September 2, 2010 at 6:06 AM (PDT)

Apple must be thinking if dropping ipod Classic to add a new device.
But they should make iPod Classic a permanent product of iPod.It started all, If it as not there,there wouldn’t be such a progress in music.
The other iPod,
Touch : For Games,
Nano   : All about Small Music Players
Shuffle: Low cost iPod
and ipod Classic
The classic and real ipod.

Posted by Rohan on September 2, 2010 at 6:15 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >