iPod classic still available; 160GB for $249 | iLounge News

iPod classic still available; 160GB for $249

image

Despite Apple CEO Steve Jobs’ statement that the company was announcing all new designs for every iPod model, the company’s legacy iPod classic, which hasn’t seen a major redesign since its introduction in 2007, remains in the lineup. The device, which offers audio, photo, and video playback capabilities, is still available from Apple’s online store, and offers 160GB of storage for $249. The iPod classic was not mentioned during today’s traditional Fall iPod event, providing further evidence that Apple has shifted its focus to the iOS-powered iPod touch and presumably better-selling shuffle and nano models, although it is mentioned at the bottom of the press releases for Apple’s latest iPods.

« Gallery: Photos of 2010 iPods, Apple TV posted

New iPods, Apple TV now available for pre-order »

Comments

I really like the classic but I haven’t been able to sync it since iTunes 9.1, I was hoping with the new iTunes 10 this would be corrected.  However, there’s no money in it for Apple, so I guess that’s their FU way of phasing it out.  If they can’t fix this they shouldn’t be still selling classics.

Posted by Don on September 3, 2010 at 3:31 PM (CDT)

who said it was being discontinued?
  this thread took a weird turn somewhere in there and i got creeped out for a second believing i was reading the ipod classic’s obitiuary.
for crying outloud,  there will always be demand for a portable device with a substantial amount of storage space that DISPLAYS menus to access media content .period.

the ipod and itouch are simple devices that do the job they were designed for better than any other competition.  them silly marketing majors might come up with some other name, and lets hope those engineering majors keep improving the battery life, the weight, the interface, THE SOFTWARE…...

there is something soulful about the ipod classic.

Posted by waicool on September 5, 2010 at 12:57 AM (CDT)

No updates of it at all this year and not even a mention of it at Apple’s iPod event, despite Jobs’ statement that they were updating the entire iPod lineup.  This pretty clearly implies that Jobs no longer considers the iPod classic part of the “entire iPod lineup.”

It’s not being discontinued just yet, but it’s clearly got one foot in the grave.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on September 5, 2010 at 9:03 AM (CDT)

I agree with #11,15, 19 and all the rest who love the storage capacity of the Classic. I, too, travel for long periods of time and love having all my music with me from which to pick and choose.

Posted by Maryann on September 5, 2010 at 1:40 PM (CDT)

I would totally buy a 320GB classic. They should have upped it for those who have huge lossless music collections

Posted by Mazzy on September 5, 2010 at 2:40 PM (CDT)

Glad to see some other iPod Classic (and larger capacity) fans in here! Personally, as of now, I’ve got 15800 songs in 118GB and my 160GB model isn’t even full yet.

It’s SO satisfying to be able to carry your whole music library with you, in your pocket!! I don’t even know how I would manage if I’d have to “choose” every time.

But alas, browsing through it…is a bit of a drag on the Classic. Cover Flow helps things a bit, but it’s a bit awkward and slow.

The new iPod Touch is pretty much an iPhone (even has FaceTime), but without the ability to make phone calls.

Posted by James on September 20, 2010 at 11:02 AM (CDT)

I also love the classic, best part is riding a motorbike I can still control the music while the iPod is in my pocket.  I have had to use my iPhone for music once and hated it.  Having to stop riding to switch songs or playlists because you have to have bare fingers to touch the screen and be able to see the screen at the same time.  With this iPod in my pocket I can fast forward/rewind/start and stop the music without looking at anything!

I would love to see a larger classic model, 320G version would be wonderful!  I have shown this to a couple other people we ride motorbikes with and they are now doing the same thing.

Posted by Qaz on January 4, 2011 at 5:31 PM (CST)

I just bought a seemingly 6th gen 160g classic from a korean kid who said he bought it in korea and has used it for a year. anybody know about 160g releases in asia?
just got back from long travels with no ipod and had a 4g before that… i will do nothing but appreciate the SPACE!!!

Posted by carlen on January 12, 2011 at 2:27 AM (CST)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2