iPod classic tests reveal audio problems | iLounge News

iPod classic tests reveal audio problems

Newly released audio measurements comparing the iPod classic to a fifth-generation iPod suggest problems with the newer iPod’s Cirrus Logic audio codec. Having initiated a discussion in Apple’s iPod classic forums, Marc Heijligers writes, “The measurements show is that the iPod Classic indeed has an uplift in treble, and its timing response is incorrect.” According to Heijigers, the new Cirrus Logic audio codec chip, which Roth Capital’s Jay Srivatsa says has replaced a chip from Wolfson Microelectronics inside the iPod classic, misaligns the arrival of treble detail relative to mids and bass, causing audio from the classic to lack “spatial information and a certain timbre.” Heijligers suggests that Apple may be able to fix the problem through a firmware update.

« Apple posts iPod touch Features Guide

Gecko Gear debuts Gecko Ice for 3G nano »

Comments

Lets face it guys.  We listen to music on Ipods.  None of us are audiophiles.  If we were, none of us would be listening to compressed audio no matter which of the “better” compression formats out there.

That said, I do believe my new 80 gig classic to sound better than either of my first gen nano or 5 gen 30 gig video no matter which of my 3 Bose headphones I listen to them with.

Posted by Scott on September 14, 2007 at 7:30 PM (PDT)

Many people debate the 0.2 uplift, or the audibility of phase distortion.

I wanted to write some notes about the generality of 1dB to be the reference threshold of audibility, but obviously the text was too long.

Therefore. I’ve written an appendix on my web page:

In summary, audibility of volume and phase depend on the context. Thefore taking 1dB as a rule of thumb can be misleading.

Posted by Marc Heijligers on September 15, 2007 at 1:38 AM (PDT)

I have definitely noticed a difference in the audio quality of the 160 vs. my 2 30GB iPod videos, 60GB iPod, and minis. I don’t know the audio terminology, but it’s a tinny sound, with lots of treble.

Has anyone noticed problems with photos in the 160? I have only been able to view them by running the slide show function in manual, not clicking from one photo to the next as I have been able to on my last two color pods.

Posted by Catherine Mullhaupt on September 21, 2007 at 12:52 PM (PDT)

when i put videos on my ipod classic 60gb the sound will not work on any video-what to do?

Posted by Rahul on October 25, 2007 at 11:02 AM (PDT)

After reading I did some comparing between my G4 and my new G6 and of course I noticed a difference and of course I instantantly wanted to trash my G6 because of it’s bad sound ....

What do you expect? It’s apple! They produce #### as everybody else, they are only cooler than the rest of the world, because they design their stuff in California. grin

anyway, the classic is the coolest peace of #### I ever got in my hands .... I am only worried, how I ll fill it with 40.000 songs ... if you buy them at the itunes store you can get a brand new BMW for that money ...

Posted by Nio on December 25, 2007 at 4:26 PM (PDT)

I have just bought a 80gig classic and the sound quality is terrible compared to a 6 year old creative i own. High trebble missing vocals and supplementary instruments unaudible, almost cutting out some frequencies altogether. If there is no fireware fix soon it will be promptly returned. ####!!!!!

Posted by Damien on December 27, 2007 at 1:43 AM (PDT)

I had a 30GB 5G stolen and I had to replace it with a new 80GB classic. I noticed that the sound quality from my old iPod sounds better, esp. with the equalizer than on my new classic. The sound coming out is kinda’ “distorty”. Well, that’s how I see it.

Posted by Reins on April 12, 2008 at 11:22 AM (PDT)

i got the 120GB classic and everything works kinda ok i mean sure its a little sluggish o well what are you gonna do? my main problem is that for some reason when i change artists fast or sometimes for even no reason when im in my music library my ipod just restarts on me during the middle of a song. i dont know whats up with that and i dont know anyone else that has this problem with theres either. could it be that i have like 50 gb of music alone on there? idk anyone have any ideas?

Posted by SteveO on January 7, 2009 at 9:10 AM (PDT)

I have purchased an Apple iPod Classic and have had nothing but problems with it…starting off with:

- being railroaded (forced) into giving my credit card details to iTunes BEFORE i even made a purchase there.

- being railroaded (forced) to use the highly unsatisfactory and amateur iTunes website to sync (download) my music, the far superior Windows Media Player being conveniently incompatible with my iPod Classic.

- every time i sync (download) my music library from iTunes i get a completely different result.  This would involve random variations of the following:
- having all my tunes erased off my iPod.
- always having a different selection of music downloaded, even though the library content HAS NOT CHANGED.
- having new additions to the library not being synced (downloaded) into my iPod, even after appearing on my iTunes web page.

This is the first time i have purchased through Apple, and to say i’m highly dissatisfied is an understatement.  I cannot believe that something so substandard and glitchy could possibly have ever been released onto the market and onto unsuspecting consumers.  This is disgraceful behaviour from this corporate giant.  Avoid Apple iPods at all costs, as this company has shown their contempt and disrespect of their own consumer base.

Posted by James Black on February 2, 2009 at 8:46 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2