iPod classic update causing disk-spinning bug? | iLounge News

iPod classic update causing disk-spinning bug?

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, October 19, 2007
News Categories: iPod

A number of iPod classic owners are reporting an issue where their units’ hard disk spins endlessly after applying the 1.0.2 update. The problem was first discovered by a group of users complaining of poor battery life, which is a result of the disk spinning and draining the battery in an abnormally quick fashion. Although the exact cause of the bug is still unknown, some users have found that turning off the device’s Cover Flow feature fixes the problem. Apple has yet to comment on this issue. [via Engadget]

« Analyst: iPhone AT&T’s top selling device, #4 in US sales

One week left in 2008 Buyers’ Guide Contests, enter now for shot at $3795 in prizes »

Comments

What was the last time that Apple ever commented on an iPod fault? And what about all the other issues being discussed in the forums?

Posted by dimmer on October 19, 2007 at 8:39 AM (PDT)

I still don’t get how their isn’t a fix yet for iTunes freezing when trying to update my Classic. I make play lists a lot and it takes me 20 more minutes just do it because it freezes for 10 seconds at a time every 2 or so minutes.

Posted by Anthony on October 19, 2007 at 8:54 AM (PDT)

My 5G still works fine. I think I will skip this generation of iPods. Maybe I will get the iPod Touch G2 if it is well made.

Posted by Brownie on October 19, 2007 at 9:13 AM (PDT)

So right, with every fix I heave a sigh of relief thinking they’ve fixed the Itunes freezing problem…and they don’t.  Then what the hell are all those damn updates for?

Posted by Bbest on October 19, 2007 at 9:49 AM (PDT)

i’m having this problem too, but i didn’t now why. i was thinking about some problems with my tuneflex on the car, and now what can we do apple?

Posted by gonzalo on October 19, 2007 at 11:03 AM (PDT)

What do you know, finally a benefit from Apple not making updates available to older iPods - increased stability!  My 4G Photo and 1G and 2G nanos are quite happy smile Too bad I didn’t wait a little longer on the price drop of refurbished 2G nanos though :(  - I grabbed my 8GB for $185 and now they’re at $159

Posted by WhoCares? on October 19, 2007 at 11:16 AM (PDT)

This feels like another .5G. At least my 5.5G actually works properly.

Posted by ddsd on October 19, 2007 at 11:37 AM (PDT)

i like very much coverflow and 160 gb of storage buuut i’m thinking to change it for a touch, this classic generation looks like a microsoft production…

Posted by gonzalo on October 19, 2007 at 11:49 AM (PDT)

Classic Apple.  2 month old Nano and Apple refuses to repair or replace it saying the skipping of songs is because I havenot downloaded all of my music from iTunes!  I’ve asked where the documentation states it only works with iTunes downloads and why my older units don’t do this, but no response.

Posted by hst on October 19, 2007 at 1:21 PM (PDT)

This new ipod ‘classic’ is the worst iPod I’ve had (among a line of many).  The interface is so frustratingly slow and buggy that I often hesitate using it, opting for the iphone instead.  So while Apple finally got the less-scratch prone finish right, the iPod itself is indisputably inferior.  I really hope future updates remedies at least some of the problems.

Posted by vwtouaregmike on October 19, 2007 at 3:03 PM (PDT)

I agree with WhoCares?. Call it luck, but my 3G ipod hasn’t had any problems since I bought it in 2003. Seems like every new iPod generation loses stability. This is what happens when a company is more concerned about making way more money than it should be instead of making good quality products (that used to be Apple.)

Posted by Zaci on October 19, 2007 at 9:20 PM (PDT)

Anyone tested the ipod Classic with the new update. It seems video out is enable without the authentication chip.

Posted by Ken on October 20, 2007 at 10:39 AM (PDT)

No, authentication is still required in order for the new iPods to actually display video. All that was changed is that the iPods now provide two options that do not work unless you connect an authenticating device.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on October 20, 2007 at 6:50 PM (PDT)

As an unofficial repairman for iPods, I’ve used all generations except the touch-screen and new nano. So I know what I’m talking about.
I bought a 160 GB iPod Classic, and so far it has been the most disappointing iPod I’ve used so far. It’s a step backwards from the 5.5G.

For a start, it doesn’t load the extras, a feature that I critically depend upon. I’m forced to carry two iPods with me: my iPod Photo for the calendar and contacts functions alone. My music library is large, yes, but 55 GB is only a third of the capacity of the disk.

Secondly, I’ve struggled a LOT with random resets. Just browsing the normal menus, not with cover flow, my Classic has randomly reset on me. This is usually after having changed from watching a video to browsing music. The iPod then restarts, taking 4 minutes 40 seconds to do so. This is ridiculous. It’s actually enough time for me to get out my iPod Photo, find the same song, listen to it and halfway through the next by the time the Classic’s ready to go.

Add this to rumoured sound quality trouble (I haven’t noticed it much - my headphones aren’t perfect) and hard disk problems, and I propose to label this the least “finished” iPod generation Apple have released to date.

I still accept the fact I bought the iPod, I needed the capacity and it was good value per GB. The design and interface are both very nice. It will also probably be Apple’s last hard drive based iPod generation. But on balance with the trouble I’ve had with mine, I’d recommend anyone considering buying the Classic to think very hard about whether you can bear the frustrations associated with it.

If anyone at Apple pays attention to comments like this, please contact me, and I’m happy to test any replacements. I just suspect the issue is software, not hardware. And I haven’t voided my warranty yet, though the 5.5G motherboard is looking very tempting.

Peter

Posted by Peter Burkimsher on October 21, 2007 at 10:55 AM (PDT)

I’m having another problem with my new iPod Classic that might have something to do with this as well. When I try to sync it with my library (I initially thought the problem was with my aunt’s MacBook which I’m currently using, but the problem also appears when using a PC), the iPod reboots when ejecting and then keeps rebooting over and over again. You can hear the harddrive spinning and then slowing down, only to start spinning and slowing down again.

For some very odd reason, this problem appears if I manually remove all the music on the iPod, but if I can’t have music on it, there’s not really any point in having it at all smile . I also suspect that the new update 1.0.2. is causing the problem, because I’m currently on my fifth iPod Classic and have tried it, as I mentioned before, on both a MacBook and a PC.

Is it possible to downgrade an iPod?

Posted by Christian Otte on October 21, 2007 at 7:21 PM (PDT)

With all the iPod Classic bashing I only think it’s right to mention that I have the 80 gb and it works great.  It was a little sluggish before the last update but now it runs great.  I love the cover art as well as the split screen and the other GUI changes.  It’s way better than the 5.5 gen I had before.

Posted by Ian on October 22, 2007 at 6:04 AM (PDT)

@2 I have the exact same problem with itunes. I stopped editing my ipod or adding playlists until it’s fixed.

@ Peter Burkimsher - I need to take a listen to my ipod much more carefully. I noticed a bass issue, but it could just have been the song I was listening to.  But the Ipod is much more sluggish that my ipod photo and ipod video.

Posted by dunnypop on October 22, 2007 at 7:19 AM (PDT)

yes my 160 gb was working ok until the 1.0.2 upgrade but the cuestion is It’s apple working to solve that? i really like the coverflow but i can’t use it¡¡¡¡¡

Posted by gonzalo on October 22, 2007 at 10:09 AM (PDT)

So for my 160 gig iPod Classic has been working pretty good (even after I accidentally dropped it on an asphalt parking lot while walking back from the store this past weekend :o !)  But then again, I only use it for listening to music, plus it spends most of it’s time in the glovebox hooked up to my car stereo.  I’ve never tried putting any video on it and the only game I played was that Vortex game that came on it.  BTW, are there any decent cases for these things out yet?  I’d like to find a nice leather portfolio type like I got for my 30gig 5th Gen one.

Posted by SkiBumMSP on October 22, 2007 at 8:57 PM (PDT)

Im havin problems with the classic too. when I connect it.  Sometimes it doesn’t show up as a drive for 3 to 5 min and I have tried it out on two high end machines with the same results one running vista the other xp.  Then when I was trying to make 160gb worth of playlist it took me days to do, cause the itunes would lock up a minute or two for each addition.  I like useing playlist cause it saves time on navigating. But I think I wasted all that time, I could have saved on waiting for itunes to unlock itself ever other minute.  I was almost thinking I had a defective model and was going to send it back but it looks like others are haveing similar issues.

Posted by unoe on October 26, 2007 at 4:00 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >