iPod classics exhibit random crashes, lockups | iLounge News

iPod classics exhibit random crashes, lockups

A number of iPod classic owners, a majority of whom purchased the 160GB model, are experiencing random crashes and lockups, which appear to be linked to album art. iLounge forum member Justin Horne has posted two videos documenting the problem on YouTube, and in posts on Apple’s Discussion boards has said that Apple is aware of the problem, and is working on a fix. In the meantime, a workaround is available: simply disable all album artwork and resync.

« Apple reveals details of $100 Apple Store iPhone credit

iPod touch owner receives testing unit »

Comments

Mine’s been rock-solid, even with album artwork.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on September 14, 2007 at 10:36 AM (CDT)

wasn’t the whole point of this new interface that it had coverflow?
I[‘m considering getting the 160GB and the iPhone when it hits here in the UK.
Does the 160GB lock up under heavy loads? My music library is around 90Gb…let’s hope not.
Dan x

Posted by dan nicholls on September 14, 2007 at 10:36 AM (CDT)

Here’s a good list of other problems people are experiencing:

Galley are you not seeing slow response times with the menus? I’m getting these even having removed all album art

Posted by jamesm on September 14, 2007 at 11:19 AM (CDT)

My new nano had a problem with that. All cover art showed as a scrambled mess. A reset took care of that problem.

Posted by Geoff on September 14, 2007 at 11:37 AM (CDT)

Yes, everything is rather sluggish. but no crashes.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on September 14, 2007 at 12:37 PM (CDT)

It’s very sluggish, and my library is about 120GB. It takes about 5-10 seconds just to load coverflow, or even to select ‘artists.’

Posted by narco on September 14, 2007 at 1:05 PM (CDT)

It’s strange, that topic i linked to above has now disappeared… the last post on it was saying how good it was that it was up there, that microsoft would have deleted comments like that on their forums..

Posted by jamesm on September 14, 2007 at 1:20 PM (CDT)

mine’s works fine with artwork

Posted by gonzalo on September 14, 2007 at 3:44 PM (CDT)

narco…i have to agree…i have 120GB and it is sluggish as ever!!  ugh.

Posted by ipododie on September 14, 2007 at 4:13 PM (CDT)

Disabling album artwork isn’t a workaround for everyone.  I have done that with my 115gb of AAC music files and my 160gb classic still crashes/freezes/reboots whenever I try to play a song or game.  VERY frustrating!

Posted by oneydee on September 14, 2007 at 4:31 PM (CDT)

My 80GB iPod Classic is another one that works almost perfectly.

Hardly any sluggish-ness (even on Cover Flow) and no crashes!

The only problem I’ve had is sometimes on the Now Playing and Cover Flow screens it will have music notes for a bit rather than the album art, but that doesn’t bother me much as the art shows eventually and I’m sure a firmware update will fix it.

Posted by ‹-cJr-› on September 14, 2007 at 5:08 PM (CDT)

oh crap ... I was literally going to go and buy a 160GB iPod this morning. I have just over 90GB of music, and have been waiting for a long time for something with the capacity to hold it all. But, given that it all has artwork associated with it, and that the *whole point* of the new interface is to utilise album art, I’m thinking I might wait a few more weeks to see if Apple are going to deal with this before shelling out.

Posted by Lawrence Mikkelsen in New Zealand on September 14, 2007 at 5:10 PM (CDT)

I just got an 80GB classic and have the same troubles described as the 160’s. Seems as though this “firmware issue” should have been resolved before release. Not a happy customer here.

Posted by bernieb on September 14, 2007 at 8:43 PM (CDT)

I hope this problem gets solved soon, I just sold to a friend my old Ipod, I still have my old u2 ipod, but what i really need is space. Does anyone knows for a fact if the universal dock from apple works for the video out on the ipod classic.

Posted by FRANCISCO CARDENAS on September 14, 2007 at 11:40 PM (CDT)

The 160GB Classic I played with at the Apple Store earlier this evening appeared to work great, smooth without any hiccups or glitches, but there was one 80GB unit I happened to try before the 160GB player that seemed unreasonably sluggish. First thing that popped into my brain with the 80GB Classic experience was ‘firmware update needed’...

Posted by flatline response on September 14, 2007 at 11:43 PM (CDT)

you have new firmware 1.1 for your classics on itunes to resolve this problems.

Posted by gonzalo on September 15, 2007 at 5:47 AM (CDT)

Uhm, they had 1.0.1 yesterday now 1.1???

Does this fix the coverflow\compilations bug too? (this is where compilations show multiple covers because it sees each track with a different artist as a different album)

Does anyone know what 1.1 fixes?

Posted by olarte on September 15, 2007 at 9:23 PM (CDT)

I checked and there is no 1.1 update for the Ipod classic, the latest is still 1.0.1

Posted by olarte on September 16, 2007 at 12:00 AM (CDT)

after almost a decade og happyness with ARCHOS players, the premature death of my Archos PMA400 (only 5 years old…) saw me buying an iPod classic 160.
Nevermore!
It is crap.
iTunes syncs about 200 MB per go - regardless of coverflow on or off, regardles of hdd volume mode on or off.
I have the latest iTunes and iPod firmware, still it is unacceptable.

Give me my money back!

Posted by Karsten on September 30, 2007 at 6:02 PM (CDT)

My new 160GB turns on but i cant do anything it just stays in the apple logo all the tim no matter what i do

Posted by ty on October 14, 2007 at 12:36 AM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >