iPod classics exhibit random crashes, lockups | iLounge News

iPod classics exhibit random crashes, lockups

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, September 14, 2007
News Categories: iPod

A number of iPod classic owners, a majority of whom purchased the 160GB model, are experiencing random crashes and lockups, which appear to be linked to album art. iLounge forum member Justin Horne has posted two videos documenting the problem on YouTube, and in posts on Apple’s Discussion boards has said that Apple is aware of the problem, and is working on a fix. In the meantime, a workaround is available: simply disable all album artwork and resync.

« Apple reveals details of $100 Apple Store iPhone credit

iPod touch owner receives testing unit »

Comments

THIS THING IS TERRIBLE! Do NOT buy one! It’s like playing russian roulette, except this time the 1-in-whatever chance is the one that actually works decently. This product is crappier than stale cornbread.

Posted by Rohondra on October 20, 2007 at 3:05 AM (PDT)

I got my 160 GB Classic Ipod 2 days ago and Im having trouble with it already.When I goes to charge it on my computer it automatically shuts down with out me ejecting it.

Please help me with this problem!

Posted by Brittany on November 7, 2007 at 1:46 PM (PDT)

please help,
i dont know where to unlock or recover a password for my ipod classic,
can anyone help me hack it or something

Posted by malcolm on December 22, 2007 at 10:25 AM (PDT)

I’m glad I’m not the only classic owner wanting to beat up their ipod. My 80 GB is experiencing this problem. It would freeze, and make this clicking noise. Now it won’t play songs; now it says ‘connect to power’  its been like this for a week. It won’t show up on my computer when I connect it. I’m worried.

Posted by Casey on February 2, 2008 at 11:28 PM (PDT)

I concur - this is my first Apple MP3 player (I work in electronics, so have also ‘owned’ Archos, Creative and iRiver). Admittedly they had their problems too, but never before have I had such a problem transferring music, and wasting days of my life in the process.

I’ve had it crash five times, deleting the database, forcing me to start again. I am now backing up the database instead, but it won’t let me copy any more than 20GB of music (I have the 80GB model).

I’ve tried on Windows and Linux (so not a Microsoft problem), and I’ve tried using Yamipod, Ephpod, Media Monkey, and iTunes.

My conclusion: the iPod 80GB is a hunk of sh&#xte;, and Apple’s legendary ‘quality products’ are worse than Microsoft’s. Will I buy anything from Apple again? Not likely.

Posted by Dan on February 21, 2008 at 6:41 AM (PDT)

I got the 80GB around the holidays

I love it - when it works. Unfortunately, this is only about 1 out of every 50 tries, and it only works for about 20 minutes before making that chirp sound and freezing. Sometimes it restarts ITSELF and I don’t have to do it! AWESOME!

Really, it feels like Apple released this way too early. I get it, release it around Christmas/Chanukkah and such and everyone will buy it, great. However, they should have waited and tested it some more. This is really unacceptable. I still have a warranty for it, which is okay because when they come out with an iPod Touch or iPhone with a MUCH higher storage, I can just drop this thing while jogging and get the newer one(at least that’s what the contract seems to say). Or, better yet, hopefully they’ll figure out what the problem is and fix it. I understand that it’s fairly intensive stuff to have all of the graphics and album artwork usage, but even with album art off, I still have issues. It’s driving me insane.

I’d love to listen to my ALC’s somewhere AWAY from my desktop, really, I would.

Posted by MB on March 13, 2008 at 1:36 AM (PDT)

the other day i went for a long walk i had my 80GB ipod classic i pushed shuffle and once it had played the first song it just stopped. the play symbol was in the top corner, the time counter wasn’t going up and no noise could be heared. however i can still watch films. i watched a video then hit shuffle again it will still play 1 song then stop if i leave it long enough it will skip to the next song, however nothing an be heared the play symbol is still on the top and the time counter doesnt move.

Could it be ive used to much space ive got 1.5 MB left

Posted by steven farmer on March 13, 2008 at 1:26 PM (PDT)

steven farmer - No, that couldn’t be it, at least it shouldn’t be. I had my 4GB mini absolutely filled to the brim, there was no space left, and it played everything fine. Not the same amount of music, but being full shouldn’t have anything to do with it. In fact, I know someone with THEIR 80 GB classic which is full, and it plays music.

I have the best buy 3 year warranty on this thing, so I wonder if I can take it in and exchange it with the reason that it crashes a lot. It wouldn’t be a lie.

Then again, I’d have to get a new one and pay the warranty fee on that if i want the warranty again, which honestly i do and don’t. I just want to be able to return when i get sick of its ####.

Posted by JL on March 15, 2008 at 11:37 AM (PDT)

Ok, i bought my ipod classic 160GB two days ago. First evening i got it home, i started to sync my music. After two albums it froze, crashed itunes and i had restore it. Tried again, same problem….

I rang itunes support, i was on the phone for about an hour. We restored to factory settings numerous times. Tried it on another mac, still didnt work. Reinstalled itunes, still didnt work.

The following day i removed all my music, then put it back onto itunes, it worked. However 20 albums later the same thing happened again. Im so disappointed with it. The guy on support i spoke to suggested i take it into a apple store, ive booked it in with their technical bar. Apparently they will be able to tell whether i need to have it sent away to be repaired….. Which is fine, but its getting to the point now where i just want my money back.

It simply isnt good enough, i spent 200 quid on it and to have this many problems 2 days in is really poor. Is anyone else having the same problem?

Posted by Sam Bodger on March 23, 2008 at 6:43 AM (PDT)

I rented a movie from itunes, downloaded it to my 80GB ipod Classic.
I wanted to view the movie on our TV which the literature states is possible.
I set my ipod to TV out “On”.
I attached the accessory cables to the TV.
I get the message “TV Out Enabled” .
Please connect Video Accessory.
It does not work.
I keep getting the message “TV Out Enable”. .etc . .repeatedly
Just does not work . .
Please help me resolve this problem . .
Bob

Posted by Bob Barta on March 30, 2008 at 12:18 PM (PDT)

What type of video out cable are you using?  The iPod classic and other 2007 iPod models now require specific accessory cables to enable the video output feature. At this point, the cables available that do this are pretty limited to the Apple Composite and Component AV cables.

See our article, Apple Locks TV Out in New iPods for more information.

In response to some of the other posts above, while I sympathize with those of you that are having problems with your iPod, I would also suggest that you look at taking them back and/or getting them serviced.  It is definitely not normal for the iPod to have problems with crashes, freezes, lockups, etc, and it’s probably an unfortunate reality of our world today that some people simply seem to accept these problems and try to live with them rather than recognizing that they have perhaps received a defective unit.

I can personally vouch for at least a dozen 80GB and 160GB iPod classics that have been purchased by myself and my immediate friends and family. None of them have had any problems, so the experiences of those who are having problems are fortunately not typical, and hopefully can be easily resolved with a replacement unit.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on March 30, 2008 at 1:00 PM (PDT)

Jesse David Hollington - This seems to be the same thing for me, only I actually did have to send mine in.

I finally thought about it, took into Best Buy(3 year extended servicing warranty, though i don’t plan on having it that long, just longer than a year or so), and now it’s shipped off to 1 Infinite Loop.

I happened to have been blessed with one of the faulty iPod Classics. Among the other people I know who have them, most say that the menu gets slow after long periods of time, but only one mentions freezing, and she’s taking it to apple this week. Everyone else is still reporting slow loading and even not loading album artwork, but they don’t care about it and don’t do anything, when they clearly could.

Posted by TH on March 31, 2008 at 8:46 PM (PDT)

When i woke up today i noticed that my new iPod still was connected to my computer. The computer was turned off but my iPod was still running. I turned the computer on and bam my iPod froze. Does anyone have any advice?

Posted by John on September 28, 2008 at 3:29 AM (PDT)

Apple Computers is profiting with products that always bring inconveniences. they should be responsible for refunds when these products do not work as they assure. It seems to be then that we buy these items accepting that they do not work perfectly. is there anything we can do concerning this issue? I think it is disrespectful with costumers to charge for products they are aware do not work 100% and anyway are sold as new when they are junk

Posted by William on February 5, 2009 at 12:10 PM (PDT)

I have a 80 Gb Classic (new 2007ed) which after over a year of no probs, has frozen mid-play. None of the buttons are responding. I’ve also tried the advice of Toggle the Hold, then press Menu and Select buttons at the same time to ‘Reset’ - nothing happens - As at 3.30pm Fri 1.May, i have 75% power left - The screen is full lit - and frozen as if playing - no sound of course.Plugging in Mains Charger or USB has no effect - not charging…Help ? Anyone seen this one before ? ( ps. I’ve never updated the firmware).

Posted by Panna on May 1, 2009 at 7:21 AM (PDT)

My 120 GB ipod classic syncs my music just fine, but when it gets to my movies it won’t sync them and keeps saying they are not in the right format even though they’ve all been converted to MP4. It also takes forever to sync it and when it’s finished syncing it says an error has occurred and takes everything but my music off. Not much point of a video ipod unless it allows you to play videos….

Posted by melissa on June 15, 2009 at 5:34 PM (PDT)

hi guys, heres a workaround the frozen 160gb

If your iPod has frozen up and will not respond to any of the buttons try these steps.

1. Make sure you do not have the hold function engaged on your iPod—This feature locks all the buttons on your iPod to keep them from being accidentally pushed. Slide the “Hold” button backward and forward and check to see if your iPod is now unfrozen.

2. Reset Your iPod—Resetting your iPod is like re- booting your computer. To reset… push “Select and Menu” buttons at the same time and hold them for 10 seconds. If your iPod resets and is now functioning normally you are safe to use it and connect with your iTunes.

i know step one seems patronising, and i know most of you will have checked this, but some of you might not. anyways, try step 2, then reconect and restore… should sort it out.

Posted by Nostrildarmus on December 27, 2009 at 2:46 AM (PDT)

I just got a new silver 160GB iPod Classic, and it crashes all the time.  If I play specific albums it’s ok, but if I use shuffle, then try to go back to the menu, it will crash every time (or sometimes lock up).  This makes me believe it’s a software problem, not a hardware problem.  I noticed that this problem first appeared in this thread in 2007, when people were hopeful that a firmware update would fix the problem.  It’s over 2 years later now, and this still hasn’t been fixed?  Apple?

Posted by Disappointed iPod Fan on December 27, 2009 at 3:13 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2