iPod DJ saves the day | iLounge News

iPod DJ saves the day

Below is a copy of my letter printed in MacUser Magazine (UK) dated 11 July 2003:

Last week a friend was having his 40th birthday party. As he was born in 1963, a Sixties theme was decided. You know: Sixties dress, music, food, psychedelic drugs and so on (well maybe not the drugs).

All the plans were going well until I received a call from my panicked friend saying that the DJ they had hired had cancelled, and please could I help.

« BBC News: Q&A: Will I be sued for music-swapping?

Target.com: 10% off iPods »

Comments

That’s great. The iPOD is more than a music machine, it brings people closer together, and allows friends and family to expierence the ‘good ol times’

Posted by Stasyna on July 10, 2003 at 12:20 PM (CDT)

Similar story, much different genre.
Went to the theatre for a performance of a series of new plays, including one by my wife. Techs were having problems - the Celtic music tracks were “wrong”. Asked if they needed something else and surprised them with a selection of a GB of MP3s - all sorts of Celtic from early to recent, from Ireland and Scotland to American, accoustic and electronic.
They kept selecting then trying ‘just one more’, finally settled. And here I’d planned on settling into a corner with some Mozart!  ;-)

Posted by David Meyer on July 10, 2003 at 1:26 PM (CDT)

That’s how you do it!

Posted by SkuzE in New York City on July 10, 2003 at 2:53 PM (CDT)

I just took my new iPod on it’s first buisness trip with me and everyone who saw it, asked about it. I was giving demonstrations on all my flights. It sure does bring people together!

Posted by ntljr in Woodland Hills, CA on July 10, 2003 at 3:36 PM (CDT)

ntljr: that must be a pain in the arse though.

Posted by VK on July 10, 2003 at 7:37 PM (CDT)

I’ve considered similar DJ-ing uses for the iPod (especially with the On-The-Go playlist feature), but what really kills it for me is the lack of cross-fading in the unit itself.  iTunes had me spoiled long before I got my 30GB wonder-device.

I still can’t help but think it’s possible, especially since there’s that 20 minute buffer.  Just gently “slide” one song into the next.

POL9A

Posted by Pride Of Lions on July 10, 2003 at 8:03 PM (CDT)