iPod helps eMusic take No. 2 spot in digital music sales | iLounge News

iPod helps eMusic take No. 2 spot in digital music sales

The popularity of the iPod and eMusic’s unprotected MP3 files have helped the company quietly move into second place behind iTunes in digital music sales. Even though eMusic lacks hits from the four major labels and only offers independent music, the company is beating rivals thanks to its ability to sell DRM-free, iPod-compatible songs. “There’s no question the iPod success has worked in our favor,” said eMusic CEO David Pakman. “The consumer confusion over interoperable formats gives us a great advantage.” Napster, Real Rhapsody, and Yahoo Music have floundered in part because of the iPod-incompatible copy-protection technology used on their songs. According to data from the NPD Group, iTunes leads the market with 67%, followed by eMusic with 11%, Real Rhapsody with 4%, Napster with 4% and MSN Music 3%.

« Audible extends iTunes Music Store partnership

Forums: iLounge Nike+ challenge now open »

Comments

iTunes is also ahead by so much because of the fact that u can download a nice looking and performing ripper / player / store for free, and go through the store without a credit card just to get a feel. u can also play parts of all the songs in the store, and leave comments on the albums…

Posted by Brad J on July 31, 2006 at 7:56 AM (PDT)

I take it that you’ve never TRIED eMusic, because you DONT need a credit card to preview, and you CAN leave comments.

I use eMusic heavily for my House music and Dancehall reggae fix, most of which is unavailable for iTunes.

The DRM-less music also allows me to create my own custom mixes.

Hooray for eMusic! Way to go!

Posted by ahMEmon on July 31, 2006 at 8:00 AM (PDT)

ahMEmon…you do in fact need a credit card to preview anything but the 20 or so CDs under their “preview” tab.  If you want to see all the music they offer, you need that credit card.

Posted by PushButtonAction in Atlanta, GA on July 31, 2006 at 8:23 AM (PDT)

i used emusic once. they had a promo for 20 free downloads so i went for it. after I had downloaded 20 songs, though, there wasn’t much left that I really wanted - the selection is pretty poor. they have stuff from bands I like but they usually only have one or two albums that I already had or was something I wasn’t interested in. also emusic is strange because it’s a monthly fee - I think the lowest is like $20 a month for 40 downloads. which is 50 cents a download, but the inflexibility of the plan system turned me off. all it really has going for it its drm-free, ipod compatible files, which are clearly enough to at least make a little bit of money, but not mine.

Posted by jm on July 31, 2006 at 8:36 AM (PDT)

PushButtonAction:

well, lookit that! When I signed up, you DIDNT need a credit card to preview songs. I guess times have changed!

I stand corrected.

Posted by ahMEmon on July 31, 2006 at 8:48 AM (PDT)

I have used eMusic for the last 2 years and it’s great if you love indie music. If your tastes in music run more mainstream, then you probably won’t like it. But if you like indie stuff it’s great! Highly recommended and they have good Mac support - there’s a Mac version of their download manager that makes managing your downloads a breeze.

Posted by DanH on July 31, 2006 at 8:48 AM (PDT)

Dude, it’s only $9.99 a month for 40 songs (25 cents a song) or $20 for 99 songs (20 cents a song).  If you want just 10 songs, then its 50 cents a download ($5).  So no matter how you look at it, its way cheaper than iTunes…

Posted by William Henderson on July 31, 2006 at 9:13 AM (PDT)

I prefer ALLofMP3.com…... 5-10 cents per song….new realeases…no DRM…...

Nothing compares.

Posted by Jason on July 31, 2006 at 10:02 AM (PDT)

Nothing compares?  The artists are getting nothing from you buying from allofmp3.com.

Posted by Schiano on July 31, 2006 at 10:07 AM (PDT)

The legality of AllOfMp3 has been widely debated.  The legality of eMusic is not in question.

eMusic offers a number of things that the iTMS does not:

a) Monthly subscriptions
b) Lower prices
c) DRM-free
d) VBR recordings

What iTMS has is a much larger catalog, and tight integration with iTunes.  I personally subscribe to eMusic but I still buy occasional albums from iTunes when I am looking for something I cannot find on eMusic.

Posted by Greg Glockner on July 31, 2006 at 10:16 AM (PDT)

1. If you think eMusic has a poor catalogue then you are a superficial music fan who is too AFRAID of his own shadow to try anything that is not spoonfed.

2. Indie does not equal unusual. It simply means NOT ON A MAJOR LABEL!

3. Indie almost always means BETTER!

4. iTunes is great for previewing songs that you would like to download on EMUSIC!

5. NO DRM. The music is YOURS!!!!!!!!!!

6. The sound quality is BETTER than iTunes or Napster or Yahoo, etc.

7. eMusic is THE ABSOLUTE BEST download store on the planet, assuming you are not lazy, tell-me-what-I-like, superficial and, most importantly, casual music fans.

8. If you do not agree with this, then you are a sheep. Now go back to watching the latest episode of Jackass!

Posted by Mark on July 31, 2006 at 11:06 AM (PDT)

Hey, people can love Jackass and independent music. You sound incredibly annoying.

At any rate, I just signed up for emusic and it looks great so far. I’m excited about how cheap they are. They seem to have a great selection of music I like so I look forward to buying from them quite a bit.

Not sure I love a subscription based setup, but I’ll try it out for a bit.

Posted by ort on July 31, 2006 at 12:17 PM (PDT)

Mark—

Inhale… exhale. Okay…

I’m a big fan of emusic, but it’s not a concession to admit that they have a less extensive collection than itunes. It’s all independent albums, so it’s great if you’re a fan of “indie” labels and music (Matador, Kill Rock Stars, etc.). Mark is right though—indie simply means not on a major label: Ray Charles’ last album was released on an indie label, and there’s a lot of good Johnny Cash there from smaller labels riding the wave of popularity.

A lot of times, though (admit it, Mark), you’ll see a larger artist represented solely by an interview or unauthorized biography disc, which is weak. Also, DRM-free doesn’t mean free of corporate restrictions: international users will sometimes experience blocked tracks.

“Indie almost always means better.” is a silly statement, and I actually rip my own CDs to 128 AAC rather than APS mp3. Still, though, Emusic is a great way to find most of the bands that are on your local college station, Woxy.com, or indie 103.1 (for the CA radio listeners).

Posted by Steve on July 31, 2006 at 12:23 PM (PDT)

Mark…judging from your post, you sure sound like one of those self-righteous, pretentious college-radio types who doesn’t like things simply because they’re popular.  I think it was they way you threw the word “superficial” around so carelessly.  Which is odd, since that’s how I would describe you.

Oh, and at least of 6 of your 8 statements are complete factual horsecrap.

Posted by PushButtonAction in Atlanta, GA on July 31, 2006 at 1:03 PM (PDT)

eMusic is fantastic.  I’ve had a subscription for about 8 months or so at the 90DL/month level.  I started out getting a bunch of stuff I had always wanted, but ended up discovering an insane amount of really interesting, really hard to find modern jazz.  I find the sound quality to be fantastic, the selection to be very good, and the usability pretty good as well.  I don’t think that the service is for everybody, but I think a lot of music fans will find at least a few months of very good music for (legally) incomperable prices.

I don’t think you need to sign up to see their selection.  You may have to click a link at the bottom of the front page, but once you get into the site you can look around anywhere.

Posted by Redington on July 31, 2006 at 1:15 PM (PDT)

I too am a fan of eMusic. They have a great selection of current indie stuff (eg Grandaddy, Raconteurs, etc) as well as a solid collection of archival-type stuff (jazz/blues/bluegrass/country etc) from way back when. If you’re like me and you like to buy both of these types of music, you’ll be fine.

My only gripe with eMusic is that it is hard to track the new additions. With iTMS, I can see everything added in a few minutes each Tuesday. With eMusic, it’s not easy or quick to see what they’ve added, and they update their selection almost daily.

All in all, I’d recommend eMusic to any music lover. Have been using it for around 6 months now and have never had a problem finding 40 tunes each month.

Posted by BoulderEagle on July 31, 2006 at 2:06 PM (PDT)

I’ve been an eMusic subscriber for almost 5 years now (since back when they had an unlimited download plan…  ahhh… memories…).  I’ve downloaded tons of music from them, and I still have a list of over 100 albums that I still want to download.  There’s definitely a lot of good music there (and not just indie rock, but jazz, blues, electronica, and much more).  Basically, if you’re a MUSIC fan, and not just a fan of a few big artists, there’s a lot there to like…

Posted by Greg on July 31, 2006 at 2:19 PM (PDT)

eMusic represents an ideal for online sales both in prices and having a product that is TRULY fair play.  For now, I use both iTMS and eMusic.  There’s A LOT of stuff that appears on iTunes top ten that people could get a quater of the price on eMusic.  The term subscription should be used loosely with eMusic since it’s fairly easy to cancel from month to month. Yeah,yeah there’s no major-major labels on eMusic, but then again there’s no Betales, Lennon, or Radiohead on iTunes so…ain’t nobody perfect yet!

Posted by superape on July 31, 2006 at 2:41 PM (PDT)

wow first of all people need to realize that this is an online message board and nothing else.

second, I still hold that emusic doesn’t have a good enough selection for my money. and that doesn’t mean itunes does. at the time I had the free downloads I was unable to find artists that weren’t on itunes or in the record store.

Posted by jm on July 31, 2006 at 8:14 PM (PDT)

I love emusic as well. I’ve been a very happy subscriber for about 3 months now. I recently decided to upgrade to the 14.99 a month plan because I find a ton of stuff I want to download, including discovering bands. emusic is great! Also the sound quality of the tracks is excellent (it’s high bitrate VBR format MP3s) and you can’t beat the complete lack of DRM. I hope emusic continues to climb and more bands and labels come to realize that DRM doesn’t help them. Emusic is the way to go.

Posted by sjonke in Maryland, US on August 1, 2006 at 7:36 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >