iPod Hi-Fi speaker system unveiled | iLounge News

iPod Hi-Fi speaker system unveiled

imageApple CEO Steve Jobs introduced the iPod Hi-Fi during today’s special event at Apple’s Cuperinto headquarters. [Live coverage] The high-end speaker system delivers “breathtaking acoustic performance and room-filling sound unlike any other speaker system designed for the iPod in an innovative, all-in-one design.”

The iPod Hi-Fi, which can be powered from a wall socket or by six D-cell batteries, features an integrated iPod dock and is controlled by the 6-button Apple Remote. It’s available starting today for $349.

Compatible with all dock connector iPods, the Hi-Fi charges your iPod while docked and offers Tone Control, Large Album Art mode and volume mirroring on fifth-generation iPods and iPod nanos. The device also features molded handles, a removable front grille, touch-sensitive volume control buttons, a built-in power supply (no external power brick), and a 3.5-mm auxiliary input. The Hi-Fi measures 17.0” x 6.6” x 6.9.”

“iPod Hi-Fi has been designed and engineered by Apple to deliver unrivaled sound quality, realistic sound imaging and optimal audio performance,” the company says. “Its clean, all-in-one design features a unique isolated enclosure system that includes two custom designed wide-range speakers and a tuned, ported bass system, minimizing vibration while maximizing sound quality and allowing users to listen to their favorite music as it was intended with amazing sound clarity and rich, deep bass.”

Apple also today introduced new Intel-based Mac mini computers. Available in a 1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo processor configuration and a 1.5 GHz Intel Core Solo processor configuration, the new systems feature Apple’s Front Row media software and a new music, video and photo sharing feature that uses the company’s Bonjour wireless networking technology. The new Mac minis start at $599.

« Apple media event coverage, with photo gallery

Apple intros leather iPod cases »

Comments

This thing is a stinker. It’s big and ugly and expensive. You can get a pair of $20 speakers on the low end or just hook an iPod up to a nice stereo on the high end. What is the point of this thing?

Posted by ort on February 28, 2006 at 3:53 PM (CST)

What you said, dasmegabyte!

Posted by Margk on February 28, 2006 at 3:56 PM (CST)

Honestly, not what I was hoping for (*was* hoping for the true ipod video, or a tablet powerbook). The problem here is that there are already a lot of other products out there that cater to this need (look in any Apple store, they sell them there). These other products are made by companies that *focus* on audio (ie. BOSE) and they sell systems for much less.

Not a nockout in the industrial design (is there even an apple logo on it?). Seems like the industrial design team didnt even touch it before they produced it. iPod sticks ackwardly out of the top of it. Better integration of the iPod into the form of the stereo, maybe have it lay so that it “presents” the iPod (seen that somewhere before). I know I have seen this in other ones at the apple store integrate it better than this.

If I would see this out of the box, I would never have guessed it was from Apple. Looks huge on their website until you see it placed on a desk next to some other objects.

Sorry, but I love Apple stuff, but there is no way I will ever buy this thing when it costs as much as, or more than the iPod it uses (well I also like to listen to headphones more than on speakers anyway).

On the bright side, they came out with an updated mac mini.  : )

Posted by want to work @ apple on February 28, 2006 at 3:58 PM (CST)

What a disappointment from Apple.  Mr. Jobs, please take this thing back to the drawing board.  How about talking more to people about what they want in a product like this.  Your iteration seems superfluous, ill-conceived, and just plain stupid.  It’s another product in a sea of “me too” pieces.  I thougt Apple might actually have an innovation for us, but I was wrong.

Posted by Carl O. on February 28, 2006 at 4:02 PM (CST)

“Bose be afraid be very afraid”

I’m sure they are shaking. Granted they probably make a lot of money selling iPod stereos, but this thing isnt getting such a warm reception from what I am seeing.

If I wanted a high quality stereo for my ipod, I would already own one. To little to late. Will probably get a mild reception from the die hard apple/ipod fans (and even though I am one, this is not impressive.) Don’t forsee this selling amazingly well, especially at that price.

Posted by deleted on February 28, 2006 at 4:04 PM (CST)

Not quite what I was hoping for.  I’m moving into a new apartment so I might buy the new Mini to be my media centre hooked up to my TV.

What I really want is a remote that works over Wi-Fi, with a screen, to control my tunes on my iMac in the room with my stereo streaming them over the Airport Express.

Posted by Jeffery Simpson on February 28, 2006 at 4:06 PM (CST)

Just look at the bright side, maybe Apple is just putting their no none-sense product first and saving the best on the upcoming Apple anniversary in April 1st.  Yeah, I am dissappointed as well with the Leather case and Speaker because I already have problem of my own to even convinced myself to spend over 100.00 worth of iPod dock speaker, and 349.00?  I don’t think so.

Posted by Oliver on February 28, 2006 at 4:12 PM (CST)

If the darn thing has handles on it and takes D cells, you’d think it was designed to be moved.  However, the iPod is perched precariously on the top of the stupid thing.  Good luck moving that.

What a POS.  Altec’s IM7 has this thing beat hands-down and is WAY less expensive (and likely sounds better).  I’m betting the remote isn’t bundled in with it either.  CRAP CRAP CRAP.

Posted by Tim on February 28, 2006 at 4:13 PM (CST)

It looks like my daughter’s Easybake Oven.

Posted by AuntyLaura on February 28, 2006 at 4:19 PM (CST)

looks like a portable MIRCROWAVE…or dormitory OVEN

Posted by James Chan on February 28, 2006 at 4:23 PM (CST)

what were apple thinking! Bose’s speakers seem much better quality than this & marginally cheaper!  As for the “fantastic design,” it looks pretty boring, just like many other ipod speaker systems…

Posted by GG on February 28, 2006 at 4:25 PM (CST)

I don’t get it… how does this not NOT look “Apple”.

If anyone else here has an iMac, G5 preffered, but G4 works too… turn it off and look at it.  What do you see?  A big black box in a white enclosure, which is EXACTLY what this is.

I personally think it looks great and if the sound is true to what they say, I’m definitely getting on, pluggin my iMac into it w/ the digital out, and sitting it on a shelf above my work desk.

Posted by LilAlienD in Maryland on February 28, 2006 at 4:27 PM (CST)

This is not what I want. I want a unit that I can load my Ipod data onto. That way if I, or my wife, want to travel or exercise or whatever with the Ipod out of the house, the other is not left without out music collection. I also want to plug in speakers so I can run sound throughout my home. I also want am/fm. Apple, please build something that truly replaces my home stereo system. This is not even a glorified boombox. All it is is a dedicated Ipod speaker system. Very, very limited and not very appealing.

Posted by Harmon on February 28, 2006 at 4:28 PM (CST)

“Volume mirroring”?  That sounds like there’s a hard drive in this speaker to back up your songs, which might help to justify the price of this.  Any clue what that means?

Posted by thenightfly42 on February 28, 2006 at 4:30 PM (CST)

“I’m betting the remote isn’t bundled in with it either.”

Yet… it does.

Posted by LilAlienD in Maryland on February 28, 2006 at 4:32 PM (CST)

How can this stack up to the IM7, even if it has a better remote. This thing looks anything but portable, the bass and treble is basically on/off from what I can tell. And for at least $100 more, there isn’t a video out. If things keep up like this, the IM7 could win again this year for best system.

Posted by rebel_519 on February 28, 2006 at 4:36 PM (CST)

I’m really suprised at the bashing this thing has taken. If the thing sounds fabulous and meets your needs then great, buy it! It’s supposed to play music, not be a swiss army knife of gadgetry.

I don’t find it unattractive at all.

The top loading dock does look precarious. A (removable ) rechargable batter would be great.

My complaint is how Apple, like other Ipod speaker manufacturers and this website, loosely use the term audiophile when describing sound.  This is a (hopefully) high quality boom box, nothing more and actually a little less without a tuner.  Saying its going to redefine home listening experiences is more than a stretch.

Posted by coprock on February 28, 2006 at 4:39 PM (CST)

At $349, it may have been worth it for me if the included remote had a digital display on it which would show the current track information.  Where’s Apple’s suggestion box?

Posted by ahsan on February 28, 2006 at 4:41 PM (CST)

This is a joke, right?

Apple, are you serious? is this “sound system” the BEST you could come up with? I am totally shocked and utterly ashamed.

I would have preferred an boom-box-like thingie with the stereo signals COMPLETELY separeated, kinda like the boom box made by Bose(?)

I just reminds me of a car stereo system’s enclosed rear speakers with an iPod superglued on top. dumb.

Then of all things…$349? Wow. Apple must think that people who buy their products are nothing but a set of mindless drones. yeesh!

It’s about as usefull as that iPod DJ thingie. UTTERLY POINTLESS!

Posted by ahMEmon on February 28, 2006 at 4:42 PM (CST)

Big fizzle on this one, Apple.  Stop TELLING people what they want and start LISTENING to what your customers are asking for.

Posted by stark23x on February 28, 2006 at 4:58 PM (CST)

Page 2 of 6 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›