iPod, iLounge turning five | iLounge News

iPod, iLounge turning five

image

On October 23, 2001, Apple CEO Steve Jobs introduced a digital music player called the “iPod” during a media event at the company’s headquarters in Cupertino, California. At the time, Apple was a company only beginning to emerge from almost a decade of troubles, and the debut, held only shortly after the September 11 attacks in New York City, was almost a non-event.

The original iPod, which cost $399, had a cutting-edge 1.8” 5GB hard drive that could be filled with high-speed FireWire connectivity, and used a brightly backlit 2-inch monochrome screen and innovative Scroll Wheel for control. It was about the size of a deck of cards, weighed 6.5 ounces, and worked only with Mac computers. “With iPod, listening to music will never be the same again,” Jobs said at the time. Almost no one believed the man, or understood why the iPod’s design was importantly different from previously released MP3 players, but his words turned out to be spot on.

Five years later, the iPod is now a true cultural icon, and has in fact changed the way the world listens to music—more than 69 million iPods are now in the hands of music fans around the globe. The iPod accounts for over 75% of all portable music players sold in the U.S, and is the leading such device in several other major countries. Over 3,000 iPod accessories are said to be available for purchase, while approximately 70% of the 2007 model year cars sold in the U.S. will offer direct iPod integration as an option. Apple’s iTunes Store continues to ring up sale after sale of music, movies and TV shows, with iTunes accounting for 85% of digital media purchased and downloaded in the U.S, and leading each of the markets in which it sells music worldwide. And neither the iPod or iTunes show any sign of slowing down.

Read iLounge’s Brief History of the iPod & iTunes, here.

iLounge will also be celebrating its fifth birthday soon. Our site, known back then as iPodlounge, launched just two weeks after the iPod was introduced, making us one of the first publications to cover the iPod exclusively. Today, iLounge provides more than 1,000 iPod accessory reviews and many more thousand news stories, articles and tutorials. Over 2,000 iPod accessories are in the iLounge database, with products from over 300 different companies represented. Continually growing as the number of iPod owners increase, iLounge sees millions of readers every month, including over 100,000 registered forum members. We’ll be announcing a celebratory contest very soon.

From all of us at iLounge to Apple’s iPod teams, past and present, congratulations on your fifth birthday. We plan to be here to celebrate many, many more.

« Adesso’s iLamp lineup features iPod cradles, speakers

iLounge debuts iPod Storage Calculator »

Comments

Happy Birthday iPod! And soon to be Happy Birthday iLounge! smile.

Posted by Joey on October 23, 2006 at 6:33 AM (PDT)

the ipod, more than the shins, changed my life.

Posted by boochydog in lawrence, ks on October 23, 2006 at 6:35 AM (PDT)

You mean 1.8” WIDE hard drive, not THICK.  A 2” thick iPod would never have passed musted for SJ.

Posted by jgk000 on October 23, 2006 at 6:50 AM (PDT)

Ahhh! the infamous Apple decade! everyone thought they´d never come out. To be truthful, the ipod almost became a flop just like Newton, but it pulled through. One thing to be said about Jobs: he knows his turf but he´s too snobbish. If he keeps his feet on the ground maybe Apple will make it as the great computer company he and Woz envisioned. Meanwhile, happy b-day iLounge, you save us a lot of tears!!!!

Posted by Applefreak on October 23, 2006 at 6:55 AM (PDT)

I think it is 1.8 thick.  My original iPod—still working, by the way as a MP3 Jukebox on the home stereo is positively a brick compared to my 5th generation.  You have to remember, even at that size, it was, by far, the smallest thing in town.

Posted by Doctor Geek on October 23, 2006 at 7:10 AM (PDT)

I can remember playing with a 1G ipod soon after it was announced thinking…“wow this is pretty cool…too bad it’ll never succeed.”  Mainly because I thought it was before its time like the newton.  I thought for sure it would tank and 5 years later other manufacturers would license the click wheel and user interface, make it windows compatible and make a killing.  How wrong I was

Posted by Art Vandelay on October 23, 2006 at 7:17 AM (PDT)

Larry,

That last sentence is a tricky one; if your read it too fast, you might think that you’re wishing a happy birthday to yourself, which to anyone who’s been to a 9-year-old’s McDonald’s birthday party, is extremely annoying.  Nonetheless, happy birthday.

Posted by alexarch in Dallas, TX on October 23, 2006 at 7:29 AM (PDT)

I remember thinking it was pretty cool, but worried how a hard drive based player could succeed over a flash based player. Apparently Apple figured out how!

I can’t believe iLounge started just two weeks after the iPod was introduced. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised since I found myself here just two weeks after I bought my first iPod. Happy Birthday!

Posted by urbanslaughter on October 23, 2006 at 7:31 AM (PDT)

awesome site, and my homepage when firefox lauches…keep up the good work and happy 5th anniversary!!!

Posted by franticnomad on October 23, 2006 at 7:33 AM (PDT)

I discovered iLounge last year when I bought the 1G nano and decided, from reading user comments here, that I should get a case before unpacking it.  I read a review, here, on EzGear’s EzArmour and bought that.  I bought a sleeve for the 2G nano after reading a news release here.  So I’m a newbie, but iLounge has proved invaluable.  I check in every day to see if a metal case is available for the 2G nano, because I break stuff.  Fresh news releases, good reviews, and hilariously funny comments (thanks Art VanDelay and Farenheit) make coming here a highlight of my websurfing day.  I need to get out more, eh?

Posted by genius on October 23, 2006 at 7:52 AM (PDT)

Happpppy Birthday too you!

Posted by moo on October 23, 2006 at 8:03 AM (PDT)

Happy Birthday iLounge and iPod.  I bought an iPod just a couple of month after it was intruduced.  I got one little scratch on it and decided to look for a case on the web.  Thinking that my new toy was too new for someone to have made a case for it I search the web and there it was iPodlounge.  Not only there were cases for the iPOd already but to my surprise there was already a following, a cult around it.  I knew then that the iPOd was going to be huge.  Keep up the good job!!

Posted by giancarlo Bendana on October 23, 2006 at 8:14 AM (PDT)

Does this mean I’m obligated to send a birthday present?

Happy Birthday!

Where’s the party being held?

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on October 23, 2006 at 10:42 AM (PDT)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WHOAAAAAA!!

i remembered when i first picked up the ipod at my compu-smart and how amazing i thought it was…i had to buy it…but now its crap..it was huge, black and white screen, and bad battery life…but i knew that this device was going to turn big but not right away. i LOVE IPODS AND APPLE AND ILOUNGE!

Posted by Eric Lewis on October 23, 2006 at 12:13 PM (PDT)

Without a doubt, making the iPod compatible with Windows saved it from a Newton-like death.

Posted by proanim8r on October 23, 2006 at 2:36 PM (PDT)

Happy birthday iPod, and Almost happy birthday to iLounge. I’m happy to support the iPod. =P

Posted by Krn iPod on October 23, 2006 at 4:35 PM (PDT)

Birthday wishes for consumer goods…that’s a new—and particularly pathetic—concept. I thought celebrating ‘anniversaries’ for such things was bad enough.

Posted by flatline response on October 24, 2006 at 1:42 AM (PDT)

screw the ipod. I’m celebrating the i(pod)lounge birthday

Posted by Chas on October 24, 2006 at 6:21 AM (PDT)

at one time, i actually considered getting off my low horse and buying a mac, just so i could have an ipod…
but in 2003 i was saved, and all i had to get was a US$15 firewire card, and a free Ephpod…

Posted by Xjames on October 24, 2006 at 7:27 AM (PDT)

It’s all tongue-in-cheek, Flatliner.  Like these people expect “the iPod” to thank them for their greeting.  Don’t get so worked up about a birthday greeting…They are largely kidding, and I’ve seen much more entertaining responses from you.  Go with those.  Otherwise, Happy Birthday, iPod, and Hapy Birthday to you, too, Flatliner.  haha.

Posted by genius on October 24, 2006 at 7:31 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >