iPod ‘jack sharing’ | iLounge News

iPod ‘jack sharing’

An interesting topic had been posted by iLounger ‘esc’ in the forums about iPod ‘jack sharing’ whereby people share their iPod music in impromptu meetings. Are you ‘jack sharing?’ Tell us about it.

“I’m seeing an interesting iPod behavior around here (central New Jersey). I take a 3 mile walk most evenings and regularly pass a few other iPod owners. About two months ago one of the iPod users stopped, pulled out her headphone jack and offered it to me. I did the same and we listened to each other’s music for about a minute before going on. Within a few days all of the iPod users were doing it and it continues to be a standard greeting.”

« iPod helped to make Lord of the Rings

Mac: iTunes Catalog 1.2 Released »

Comments

Huh??

Posted by Dannobus on November 18, 2003 at 4:21 PM (PDT)

I bought my iPod so that I *wouldn’t* have to listen to other people’s music.

This sounds completely made-up to me.

Posted by Digby on November 18, 2003 at 4:24 PM (PDT)

who talks to other people these days?

Posted by jmc in noitacol on November 18, 2003 at 4:25 PM (PDT)

Yea you could do this too with cd players or cassette players or radios or voice recorders or blah blah blah. Who cares what 3 people in Some City do? Not to be negative or anything but I think that we are getting a little obsessed with iPods and it appears as if everything iPod related must be submitted as news.

Posted by kainjow on November 18, 2003 at 5:18 PM (PDT)

...a little obsessed with iPods and it appears as if everything iPod related must be submitted as news.

Afterall this is iPodlounge wink ...and yes we are obsessive here.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on November 18, 2003 at 5:21 PM (PDT)

“About two months ago one of the iPod users stopped, pulled out her headphone jack and offered it to me”

I’l ignore the temptation to imply something smutty, and just say that thiis whole promiscuous sharing of jacks sounds dodgy and, well, antiquated to me.

Why do our iPods not have FM transmitters built-in, like the Neuros, and FM receivers? That way we could tune in and out of nearby iPods. In effect, we could each choose to be our own little radio station.

But the Neuros has had that for a couple of years, and there’s bound to be issues with FCC certification.

Here’s an idea. Why don;t we get iPods with bluetooth built-in? That way, we could stream music over public, unregulated airwaves, in close proximity.

I’d love Apple to do this but judging by the lack of progress on meaningful iPod upgrades over the past year or so I think someone else (Sony?) will handily beat Apple to the punch.

Posted by bluetooth on November 18, 2003 at 5:25 PM (PDT)

I’ve been listening to people’s hip hop blaring out their car windows and trunks for years, what’s the big deal?

Posted by Luxo on November 18, 2003 at 5:50 PM (PDT)

Can I get an STD doing this?

Posted by Chupacabra on November 18, 2003 at 8:28 PM (PDT)

better wear a condom

Posted by Ryan on November 18, 2003 at 8:40 PM (PDT)

Dude- you New Jersey folks are really weird!

Be cautious- by swapping jacks you are probably violating the rules on music file sharing.  Expect a note from the RIAA shortly….....

Posted by huh? on November 19, 2003 at 7:16 AM (PDT)

Wireless communication through i-pods may be one of the few ways that a human has a way to meet the opposite sex if we all are wandering around with buds in our ears.

Posted by Paul Toennis on November 19, 2003 at 8:05 AM (PDT)

If the ipod did have bluetooth broadcasting/recieving built in it would probably dramatically drop the battery life. I’m not exactly sure how much power it would take but the ipod needs all the battery life it can get now that they cut it down for the 3g ipods and it has to stand up to all these competitors with 15+ hour battery lives.

Posted by DimJim on November 19, 2003 at 8:58 AM (PDT)

...“Yeah, and the other day I was stopped at an intersection and so I signaled for the person next to me to roll down there window so that I could hear what they were listening to…”  WOW!

Sorry for the rant , but point is (IMHO)... this is a really dumb story!

Posted by jcs on November 19, 2003 at 9:43 AM (PDT)

“If the ipod did have bluetooth broadcasting/recieving built in it would probably dramatically drop the battery life”

No question about it the iPod needs a kick in the pants when it comes to battery. We are getting creamed by non-name, no-brand Korean knock-off MP3 players. Does Apple have nobody who understands battery design?!?!

But isn’t bluetooth supposed to be designed for power savings?

At any rate, low-power wireless doesn’t have to be a battery hog. My Neuros drops around 2 hours of battery when broadcasting (yes, I am a geek and I test these things). But I still get a good 10 hours out of it.

Posted by battery on November 19, 2003 at 10:52 AM (PDT)

Well I can’t say this kind of thing has happened to me.
But I can tell your that, I let someone listen to my iPod with one of those Headphone splitter.

Long story short, flying back from LA, girl sitting next to me, had her CD player battery died. So being a “gentleman” I asked her she wanted to listen to my iPod. And luckily I had the spliter with me in my bag. So from Ohio to NY we listened to my iPod.

This being reality and not some fatasy story, we went our seperate way and I didnt even ask for her name and I do not have some crazy “what ifs” running thru my head. She annoyed the hell out of me by constantly changing the songs. Good riddance to her.

Posted by Give a hoot, not pollute on November 19, 2003 at 11:23 AM (PDT)

Was she hot?

Posted by Dasein on November 19, 2003 at 11:28 AM (PDT)

prolly not, anyway.. simular thing happened to me so i decided to not keep my splitter on me at all times. :( kinda sad.. people should be happy listening to any music and shouldn’t have the right to take control! wink

Posted by noname in Ottawa on November 19, 2003 at 1:43 PM (PDT)

i try not to feel a bond with people based solely on a material product.  Now if he/she were wearing a Smith’s shirt, that’d be a different story.

Posted by dave on November 19, 2003 at 4:25 PM (PDT)

what a tool..

either he’s stupid, or a stalker.

Posted by Stasyna on November 19, 2003 at 5:41 PM (PDT)

My son will soon be going to Iraq. He will not have regular access to electricity. I would like to give him something such as the IPOD. I am not very well versed on what is available to use in remote areas.
What is the barrety life between charges?
Is it effected by extreme heat? Can you buy back up batteries?
I would appreciate any information and suggesstions.

Posted by corkey on November 19, 2003 at 10:37 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >