iPod lost and found - the benefits of registration | iLounge News

iPod lost and found - the benefits of registration

iLounger “vgirla” found an iPod on a flight and decided to use the forums to try and locate the owner. After posting her story and following advice from various members, she contacted Apple and passed them the serial number.

One day later, another iLounge user, “smacryan” claimed ownership of the iPod, and explained that a representative from Apple had called.

“I lost my iPod last Wednesday and I have been trying to trace my steps to figure out where I left it. I called the airline lost & found, the arrival and destination airports, and my hotel. [...] I would not have found it without Apple contacting me today. I did not even think to check any iPod or lost and found sites. I am glad I registered my iPod!!”

The moral of this story: register your iPod with Apple, and if you lose it, check the iLounge forums. This happy ending brought to you by yet another great iLounger - thanks “vgirla.”

« iPod-BMW interface FAQ available

Etymotic announces new 6i Limited Edition Earphones »

Comments

great story!

Posted by bb_dg on July 11, 2004 at 7:48 AM (PDT)

vgirla, that was extremely admirable of you to do that!  I seriously doubt that any ohter person that flew that plane that day or even that week would have done that.  It would have quickly gone into their pocket and they would have never looked back.  Great job!

Posted by RSM in Tupelo, MS on July 11, 2004 at 9:09 AM (PDT)

hooray for honest people, i wish there were more people like vgirla out there!

Posted by ahk057 in Kansas on July 11, 2004 at 10:12 AM (PDT)

hey, there’s a lot more to life than wasting time about lost and found ipods… go see Fahrenheit 9/11!

Posted by Big Deal on July 11, 2004 at 10:17 AM (PDT)

What a good samaritan Very nice of you to go and try to find the lost owner..If we had more people like that in the world the world would be a much better place..!

Posted by RetroBetsy on July 11, 2004 at 10:20 AM (PDT)

*tear*

HOORAY!

Posted by enjoilax on July 11, 2004 at 10:32 AM (PDT)

I, even as a mostly honest person, would have had a hard time passing up a free iPod…  But I’ve (nearly) lost my iPod before, and I know that that amount of adrenaline isn’t safe.

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on July 11, 2004 at 10:59 AM (PDT)

how cute!

Posted by Redux on July 11, 2004 at 1:15 PM (PDT)

Big deal:  Get a life and lighten up.  This was a story about human honesty.  Know what that means?

Posted by pkradd on July 11, 2004 at 1:21 PM (PDT)

i feel the lost ipod pain, and wish i was as lucky! i just returned from a month in Costa Rica and lost an ipod mini after the clip came off my marware case! Of course frantic calls to the cab company did nothing! Wish someone had found it and checked w/Apple Bravo human kindness!!!

Posted by Kurt on July 11, 2004 at 1:39 PM (PDT)

Of course, you could just put your contact information in a note on the iPod itself, with a title like “If Found”. Assuming the finder is honest, that would save them the trouble of contacting Apple, etc.

Posted by lesliet on July 11, 2004 at 3:05 PM (PDT)

You could also get your email address engraved on the back…

Posted by mailhojo on July 11, 2004 at 3:53 PM (PDT)

i have an “owner info” note on my iPod. i’m thinking about recording it too, and making it the first song that would be played.

Posted by Harrison in Melbourne, Australia on July 11, 2004 at 5:04 PM (PDT)

where do you register your ipod?  I bought mine of ebay and wanna register it.

Posted by mrme on July 11, 2004 at 5:05 PM (PDT)

grin

Posted by vgirla on July 11, 2004 at 5:49 PM (PDT)

First off, if they had given it to a flight attendant, it would have ended up in the airline lost and found and returned to the owner when he/she called looking for it.

If I lost my iPod I would not want someone just to take it and then post on one of the 10,000 iPod sites looking for the owner.  Sounds like whoever took it just wanted a back-up iPod.

Posted by Gyoza on July 11, 2004 at 7:42 PM (PDT)

it’s a wonderful thing that ipodlounge can ban the ips of idiot trolls grin

Posted by troll killer on July 11, 2004 at 9:27 PM (PDT)

Good one troll killer, I salute you.
Ignor the idiot vgirla, you did a good thing.  Your an honest person.

Posted by honeybee1236 on July 12, 2004 at 8:53 AM (PDT)

I lost my ipod a week ago on a flight. I’m encouraged by this news and trying my luck here. Anyone found an ipod on a flight arrived at JFK airport on July 5 please contact me. I also registered the lost ipod with Apple today (I found the serial number on the packaging). Any infomation/suggestions are appreciated.

Posted by lounger101 on July 12, 2004 at 1:28 PM (PDT)

I’ve left ipods on planes twice in the past year.  Neither was turned in to lost & found.  Wish vgirla was on my flights.

Posted by t3 on July 12, 2004 at 2:06 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >