iPod lost and found - the benefits of registration | iLounge News

iPod lost and found - the benefits of registration

iLounger “vgirla” found an iPod on a flight and decided to use the forums to try and locate the owner. After posting her story and following advice from various members, she contacted Apple and passed them the serial number.

One day later, another iLounge user, “smacryan” claimed ownership of the iPod, and explained that a representative from Apple had called.

“I lost my iPod last Wednesday and I have been trying to trace my steps to figure out where I left it. I called the airline lost & found, the arrival and destination airports, and my hotel. [...] I would not have found it without Apple contacting me today. I did not even think to check any iPod or lost and found sites. I am glad I registered my iPod!!”

The moral of this story: register your iPod with Apple, and if you lose it, check the iLounge forums. This happy ending brought to you by yet another great iLounger - thanks “vgirla.”

« iPod-BMW interface FAQ available

Etymotic announces new 6i Limited Edition Earphones »

Comments

fahreihneight 9/11 has nothing to do with ipods, the movie is full of lies, they ripped the title from fahreihneit 4/11 and i hope michael moore gets in trouble for that garbage because it has nothing to do with 4/11, hes just ripping good titles. FUCK michael moore

Posted by jot rimble on July 12, 2004 at 8:10 PM (CDT)

^ Damn evangelical republicans!
:D

Posted by Sypher on July 13, 2004 at 5:04 AM (CDT)

“fahreihneight 9/11 has nothing to do with ipods, the movie is full of lies, they ripped the title from fahreihneit 4/11 and i hope michael moore gets in trouble for that garbage because it has nothing to do with 4/11, hes just ripping good titles. f*** michael moore”

It was a play on Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. The “lies” you speak of are in no way worse than the lies that the US government puts out to quell outrage.

Regardless of your assinine statement, the *actual* topic of this story is interesting.  Doesn’t anyone find it strange that an act of kindness comes across as so amazing, simply because humanity is in no state to surprise itself with generosity. I am glad to hear this story and that the iPod was returned, but the reaction to it shows how corrupt we can all be.

Posted by Third on July 13, 2004 at 8:28 AM (CDT)

“they ripped the title from fahreihneit 4/11”

Neo Conservatives tend to burn or censor what they can’t understand or don’t agree with.  And, some can’t spell either.  Speaking of which FAHRENHEIT 451 is pretty hot, isn’t it :-)

Posted by Moore_fan on July 13, 2004 at 11:24 AM (CDT)

Anyone arguing fahrenheit 9/11 owes nothing to fahrenheit 451 should go read the book. It’s a story about overbearing government, corrupt politicians, and the suppression of dissenting views both in the media and in people’s minds. A lot of people would say that describes the bush administration’s dealings regarding 9/11 and Iraq accurately.

Back on topic, how exactly do you register an ipod? I’m leaving on an international trip soon, and I don’t have the packaging of my ipod handy to check if I already did that.

Posted by Joeri on July 14, 2004 at 7:48 AM (CDT)

...or you could simplify everything and use the patented Smart ID product Recovery system.  (Full disclosure..I represent the product)..in fact, after reading customer comments, I am going to approach Apple to see if I can get them to include it in Ipod packages…you can read about the fascinating system here if you wish..www.smartidonline.com

...oh and yes, it is still good to know that every study taken shows that people are still generally honest and if given an easy way to return an item they found, they will make an attempt to do so.

I wish good luck to those who still have not retrieved their Ipods!

Posted by Walter Kolosky on July 14, 2004 at 9:41 AM (CDT)

All you pro and anti Fharenheit. 911 people - STFU!!!!!!!

This is a forum for iPods - not iDiots.

Quit jacking threads your frigging morons!

Posted by Chris on July 14, 2004 at 2:07 PM (CDT)

since apple had the free engraving promotion back when they started selling the mini, I had mine engraved with:

reward if found.
  email .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

(after having made sure that .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) was available and then registering it, of course.  Thus making the ipod “transferable” in case I ever wanna ebay it someday…)

thankfully, I have not yet

Posted by rob on July 14, 2004 at 2:41 PM (CDT)

Rob,

I hope you never lose your Ipod- but just for the record when stickers or engravings appear on a valuble item that indicate a reward is offered…it tends to be an invitation for these pieces to be stolen….

Posted by Walter Kolosky- Natick, MA on July 14, 2004 at 3:43 PM (CDT)

what an idiot!
lol
if I find one, it’s mine! ahahaha
and you had no ideia of how to get it back! idiots!

fukin hell, register? lol with apple? dont you guys get tired of getting your life screwed around by companies.
fuck them!

Posted by |Kurany| on July 15, 2004 at 7:52 PM (CDT)

I wish that the owner gave a little something for rewarding the honesty of the person who found it. I would be SO freaked out if I lost my Ipod.

Posted by Calixto Davila on August 2, 2004 at 11:17 AM (CDT)

I found an iPod and would appreciate any help in contacting the owner. I know how valueable these things are but what’s the point…it means more to the owner than money would meant to me…it would probably be spent in a matter of a day and that’s not worth it to me. I know that if I lost mine I would be upset and would hope someone would be as courteous to try and return it: ) As the saying goes, “What comes around goes around!” I apreciate any help. Thank you.

Posted by Nina on October 2, 2004 at 3:17 AM (CDT)

Sorry forgot to put in an address to contact me…hehe .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) Thank s in advance!

Posted by Nina on October 2, 2004 at 3:19 AM (CDT)

I found an Ipod and was wondering what number you called to return it? I tried calling 1-800-apl-care and they said they couldn’t help me. Any suggestions?

Posted by Jasch on February 27, 2005 at 11:43 AM (CST)

I found an I pod in New Jersey, what number could I call to find if the i pod is registered. So it could be return to its rightful owner.

Posted by Charlie S on February 28, 2005 at 8:35 AM (CST)

found silver i pod mini near VICTORIA BRITISH COLUMBIA april 21 .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted by islander on April 28, 2005 at 11:53 AM (CDT)

Im so glad that someone honest found it.
It is not my case, I went to the movies last week, I was on a hurry so I took my purse just as it was, when I was on the car, I realized that my Ipod and my USB memory where inside.
My problem was I left my purse at the movie theatre, and Someone found i, the curious thing was that that person left all my belongings inside, including the money, but he/she took my IPOD and My USB mem.
I am so, really really sad.
The worst thing is that I live in Mexico, so I am really screwed, because here honest people is really difficult to find, specially at Cd. Juarez, where I live.
I went to Cinemark a few times, actually for 2 days on a row, to see if someone has found them but no one has, also I have been calling the theatre to see if they have found the culprit, but they are sol lame, so lazy, they couldnt help me.
I SWEARE I CRYED A LOT.
You know, an IPOD is not a cheap thing. It is just so sad.

Posted by Gabrielle on June 2, 2005 at 9:03 PM (CDT)

I lost my mini ipod. Can you help me find it please?

Posted by Jaber on July 17, 2005 at 2:48 AM (CDT)

I lost my iPod on Sept 22 on a Lufthansa flight from Toronto to Frankfurt (flight # LH471).  It’s a black iPod 30GB video with a white rubber protector on it.  If you have found it please return.  I have registered with Apple the serial number.

Posted by ehabdul on October 24, 2007 at 3:27 PM (CDT)

Additionally it was left in business class seat 4D in the centre console.  Please return if you have found it.  This was a 40th birthday gift and has sentimental meaning as well as all my stuff on it.  Very much appreciated.

Posted by ehabdul on October 24, 2007 at 3:30 PM (CDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 >