iPod mini and audio book playback problem | iLounge News

iPod mini and audio book playback problem

“MacFixIt reader Craig Spirko writes “Bought a silver iPod mini on Friday and while I love it, Iíve found two software bugs: When listening to a book-on-tape (‘The da Vinci Code’ bought from iTunes) Iíve found that if youíre more than 35 minutes into the track and press the FF button (and hold) the iPod rewinds instead of fast forwarding. On four other books I had the same problem.”

« MP3 Gym announces free demo download

Put an iPod in your Pocket PC »

Comments

He describes two “bugs.”

One:  the book rewinds when the FF button is pressed and held.

Two:  the book rewinds slightly when the iPod either is turned off or times out.

He also says that the book is a .aac file.

As to number one, it is unclear why he would press and hold the FF button while listening to a book.  Whatever were to happen, he almost is sure of losing his place in book.

As to number two:  this is not a bug in my opinion, but a feature of the .aa files that Audible.com produces.

If you purchase an Audible.com book on iTunes, do you receive .aac files?

Posted by Alan R. Solot on February 23, 2004 at 11:18 AM (PDT)

I agree that the slight rewind is a feature: upon resuming a book, most people will rewind a bit manually—just like I do with a paused movie. This saves them the trouble. Clever—but I bet it’s Apple’s feature and not Audible’s.

The other thing is a good catch—report it to Apple!

Posted by Nagromme on February 23, 2004 at 11:31 AM (PDT)

No.  I assume the files from iTMS are the same as from Audible.  They are an Audible format .aa file. Not .aac files.

Posted by fergiej on February 23, 2004 at 2:48 PM (PDT)

On my 3rd gen iPod I noticed the trying to go fast forward was actually rewinding.  I was frustrated trying to get my place.

Why would you fast forward on a book? Well, for unknown reasons I have had books reset to the beginning of the book, so you can either press the center button and scroll quickly and then you can use the fast forward to do the same - to get back to where you think you had left off in the book before the iPod screwed up your place.

Posted by mrhoni on February 23, 2004 at 4:00 PM (PDT)

To FF in an audiobook, its easier to use the scrub method anyway instead of holding down the FF button.  (I’‘m not saying the FF button shouldn’t work properly, just that the other way is easier anyway).

And its true, Audible files (from iTunes or Audible.com automatically resume five seconds prior to where you stop, to help you remember where you were when you left off.

Posted by parannoya on February 23, 2004 at 4:05 PM (PDT)

why would anyone ever buy an audiobook.  Most public libraries have audiobooks on cd that you can check out for free.  the audiobooks that i’ve seen range from 14-16 cds per book and the cd tracks are typically around 3 min long each for easy bookmarking.

Posted by a on February 24, 2004 at 8:22 AM (PDT)

In a word: unabridged. Most libraries have the abridged versions of books, made to fit on 2 tapes, total time 3 hours. If I want to hear a book I want to hear the whole thing, although I have heard ones that did a good job in abridging a book. Still, my library has easily 20 titles that are abridged for every 1 that isn’t.

Posted by bsoplinger on February 24, 2004 at 8:58 AM (PDT)

Why buy audiobooks, especially audiobooks from Audible rather than just borrowing from the library.  In a word: convenience.

1) Ability to play an entire book without switching tapes.

2) No trips to the library, download at YOUR convenience Not having to find time to make it to the library to find a book and to return it is worth it alone

3) On long drives, I can load enough audiobooks into my iPod to last me the entire 28 hours up, 28 hours back and an hour or two each day for listening while exercising.

4) Audible gets new bestsellers on the day they are issued—often surprising me with a book I didn’t even know was out yet.  And many of these are unabridged—and unabridged versions are often not available right away on CD.

5) Assuming you like the convenience of hours of audio available at once, why waste time ripping to mp3 so you can get a CD you bought onto your iPod instead of just having a compressed version on there from Audible

6) Audible books are compressed, so take up much less space on the iPod. If you choose format 3 or 4, the sound quality is excellent.

I have bought hundreds of books from Audible since I joined 3 years ago—all of them through their monthly subscription plans.  And, despite occasional glitches, I have been VERY pleased with Audible—and prefer getting audiobooks from them rather than receiving the physical CD as a gift (see #5 above).  Let’s not even discuss what a pain audio TAPES are!

And NO I do not work for Audible, own stock in Audible or have any vested interest in Audible, save for the fact that I want them to do well because they are as valuable a part of my life as my iPod is.  (Frankly, audiobooks are the reason I bought the iPod.)

My 2 cents worth… your mileage may vary.

M

Posted by Marian Petrides on February 24, 2004 at 2:27 PM (PDT)

my library has a great many unabridged works on cd.  the lord of the rings trilogy read by rob inglis for example - each book in the trilogy is about 15 cds.  my library also allows you to put a hold on popular items and arrange for pickup at any one of over ten convenient branch locations.  they also have decent selection of music etc…
of course convenience is subjective.  You may find it inconvenient to go to the library or wait for a popular item to show up or even spend a little time ripping and burning.  I find it inconvenient to pay money for something i can get for free.
lucky me

Posted by a on February 25, 2004 at 3:50 PM (PDT)

Question: Is there a way to load an audio book from cd into itunes/onto your ipod so that it comes out on the audiobooks screen on your ipod?  I have quite a few audiobooks that I’d like to upload onto my ipod but i dont want them mixed in with my music files.

Posted by jumper on September 3, 2004 at 8:47 PM (PDT)

I’m with Marian all the way!  I love Audible and have done more “reading” that I ever would have done without it.  It is also the primary reason I got my ipod, although my music listening has blossomed since beginning to download songs.

I too, however, am extremely frustrated by the problems with fast-forwarding or rewinding.  I have a 4th gen. 20GB ipod and when I’m listening to a typical 4-6 hour section of an audiobook and I try to fastforward or rewind, nothing happens.  When I take my finger off of the button it will skip to the next book or whatever is next in the Audible playlist.  The only choices I have are about 5 timeposts that the ipod allows me to go to, but they can often be 90 minutes apart each.

This is a definite problem with the ipod and I hope it is correctible with a future update, but I don’t know.

Scott M.

Posted by scorwitz on June 9, 2005 at 6:48 AM (PDT)

I may sound a bit mad here, but I am often in a hurry to get to work, and one thing I have found that is useful with audiobooks is to load them into Adobe Audition (formerly Cool Edit) and run the Edit->Remove Silence option. Then run a tempo shift to up the speed by around 25% while retaining original pitch.

That usually shrinks an audiobook down to ~50% of the original run time.

Now if only I could figure out how to listen to two at once…

Posted by Demosthenes on June 9, 2005 at 2:57 PM (PDT)

I have had so many problems trying to listen to audio books with my Ipod mini. The UI JUST FREAKING SUCKS!

If I would have known that it was going to be this bad, I would have never bought an Ipod.

My Fast Forward, and rewind does not work at all regardless if I am listening to an Audio book or music, regardless if it is mp3, aac, or an itunes song.

Forget trying to back step by going to the chapters,, the delay prior to moving will drive you crazy.

Every time I have to stop my car and pause my book, I hold my breath that I can turn the stupid thing off before loosing my space in the book again. It has happened enough times that I have wanted to toss the stupid thing in the ocean.

Not to mention the two times the thing just locked up, and conveniently turned back on when my 45 minute commute was over.

So much for the solid reputation of Apple.

Christian

Posted by Christian on June 15, 2005 at 5:44 PM (PDT)

Cud u need a software update? Try it. You should be v1.3

Posted by iQT on June 28, 2005 at 3:05 PM (PDT)

I’m trying to upload audiobooks.  There are several CDs per book, but when I update to the iPod, they just list as multiple Tracks 01, Tracks 02, etc.  How do I ensure the tracks remain separate for each CD updated and then play in order.  When I look on the iPod after updating, it lists all the Track 01s together, etc.  Thanks.

Posted by Paula on July 17, 2005 at 11:43 PM (PDT)

Is there a way to ‘scrub’ fast forward with the ipod mini?  I would like to be able to use the wheel to fast forward and rewind instead of the push button but I haven’t figured out if this is possible.

Anyone know?

Thanks.

Posted by Corbin on October 21, 2005 at 9:42 AM (PDT)