iPod mini, more than just an audio player | iLounge News

iPod mini, more than just an audio player

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, May 11, 2004
News Categories: iPod mini

“‘They are a point of differentiation for the individual and they’re almost a status symbol,’ said Tim Bajarin, an analyst at Creative Strategies. ‘Because of the colors and its small size, it really is an expression of personality.’

Phil Leigh, an analyst at Inside Digital Media, says: ‘Even though those white ear buds aren’t really that great, people want to wear them with an iPod so others know that they’re carrying an iPod’”

« Lajo releases xrap iPod mini protector

iTunes interface patent awarded to Apple »

Comments

HEY, lol thats exactly what i do. Even tho i hate those earbuds, the white color almost any tech junkie can reconize. only in the car, or planes i wear my sony one.

Posted by William on May 11, 2004 at 8:42 PM (PDT)

Or get the white sony earbuds…

I’m a bit bored of opinion articles like these appearing as news on this site. Escpecially ones that just talk about how these things are status symbols. It’s exactly the same that appeared for the main iPod.

Posted by Chris Matchett on May 11, 2004 at 9:51 PM (PDT)

yea… I wear that white ear phone too in stead of my sony 868.
When I compare them 868 sounds much better than IPod earphone, but…

Posted by shin on May 11, 2004 at 9:58 PM (PDT)

I couldn’t care less about the white earbuds.  Although looks matter to an extent, I care more about great sound than I do looks.  Each to his own, but for me personally, I’m not going to listen to crap just so I can quietly communicate, “Look everybody, ein so kool wit mine Ipod mini.”

The earbuds I use are black and I prefer it that way.  Besides, with the white earbuds, depending on where you live, it just makes you more of a target for someone who might decide to mug you for it.

Posted by Z on May 11, 2004 at 11:06 PM (PDT)

Yay, another article once again putting a nail in the coffin of the ‘style vs. substance’ argument.

Posted by Adam on May 11, 2004 at 11:12 PM (PDT)

lol, articles like these make ipod users sound so shallow, which they may or may not be i guess… i switched out my headphones after the first week, and i couldn’t be happier.

Posted by eric on May 12, 2004 at 1:26 AM (PDT)

Well, I’m guessing that, on the whole, they are. Especially on this forum. I mean, how many times are we going to hear about the stunning beauty of the Ipod. Gimme an effin’ break!

>>>articles like these make ipod users sound so shallow

Posted by Grumpy Old Man on May 12, 2004 at 3:45 AM (PDT)

This isn’t a rant directed toward this site (which is excellent), but c’mon- how many of these are we going to hear? The iPod is more than a music player. Yeah. Duh. That’s why we have ‘em.

Posted by Sam on May 12, 2004 at 4:06 AM (PDT)

“people want to wear them with an iPod so others know that they’re carrying an iPod”

Can’t wait to read the next insightful news flash from this “analyst”.  What a crock of fluffy nothingness.

Posted by wow on May 12, 2004 at 4:41 AM (PDT)

they’re almost a status symbol,’ said Tim Bajarin

Almost?  LOL.  This guy living in a cave?  A little late getting the news?

Posted by http://homepage.mac.com/cherrypop on May 12, 2004 at 4:56 AM (PDT)

Ah, the fluff that get passed of as news. Just reminds you that “news sources” are still businesses that have to earn ad revenues.

Posted by Starboard on May 12, 2004 at 5:59 AM (PDT)

I welcome all the press, even if it is “fluff”.  There needs to be as much talk about the iPod product line to keep the labels aware of us.  I fell the more talk there is, especially about pricing, the less likely song price increases will occur.

I want prices to go down, not up.  Therefor, I’ll take a “shallow” comment, if it keeps our segment visable to the marketplace.

Posted by jwc110869 in Rochester, NY on May 12, 2004 at 6:27 AM (PDT)

hey when was the ipod mini released? were was it designed? *country* any facts or figures about when it was first put on the market?

Posted by qwerty on June 1, 2004 at 2:04 PM (PDT)