iPod mini sells out in Taiwan | iLounge News

iPod mini sells out in Taiwan

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Monday, August 9, 2004
News Categories: iPod mini

“Music lovers and high-tech geeks yesterday sweated in the scorching sun to snap up their long-awaited iPod minis as Apple Computer Inc offered the first of the tiny music players available in this country—all 100 of them.

“All 100 units sold out in half an hour,” an Apple Taiwan public relations official said yesterday. “We are planning to ship more to Tai-wan, hopefully as soon as possible.”“

« Apple: iTunes Music Store at 1 million songs

iTunes Music Store coming to Denmark »

Comments

100 units for Taiwan.. hope thats only one location and not the whole country. Thats no even worth the effort 100 units, better start working overtime.

Posted by odd on August 9, 2004 at 10:48 AM (PDT)

Apple, you sure are generous by sending 100 iPod mini to a country of population over 21.5 million.

Sure not all of them are rich, but hey i’m sure there are lot more than 100 people who can afford and wants them.

If Apple didn’t have “sufficent” number of unit to ship to Taiwan, they should have done what they did with European countries, wait until they can fulfill more demand.

Posted by hmm on August 9, 2004 at 1:33 PM (PDT)

word

Posted by Brayeta on August 9, 2004 at 2:17 PM (PDT)

The irony is it’s probably manufactured near Taiwan.

Posted by wco81 on August 9, 2004 at 2:28 PM (PDT)

100 units is a silly figure to be in the news. Australia had 14,000 units preordered during the released two weeks ago. Not of the pre-ordered received their minis. The worst thing folks who pre-ordered online and had the minis returned i.e Menu button problem still doesn’t have their mini until. I got mine from the store returned the next and got a replacement in 3 days. Not bad, not to mentioned the store in Melbourne, Aus has to get it from a branch in Sydney. Of course, this is follow it up and leading the sales people where to got it in their branch.

Posted by NS on August 9, 2004 at 2:46 PM (PDT)

If they really want one, they can get one. The price is less than what Apple is selling them for.

Posted by Neutral on August 9, 2004 at 3:05 PM (PDT)

I have been in Taiwan and trust me, there are many poeple who can afford the minis. However the most popular mp3 players are not by apple. They have over 100 different mp3 players to choose from.

Posted by coolpepper43 on August 9, 2004 at 3:06 PM (PDT)

Taiwanese people like the cheaper flash MP3 players, but I think iPod mini will change all that.

Posted by WaSAi-mikE on August 9, 2004 at 3:32 PM (PDT)

Yes, thats what I’m talking about. smile

Posted by coolpepper43 on August 9, 2004 at 3:46 PM (PDT)

“I’m not certain if it’s the same in Taiwan, but in other regions (close by), it’s possible to get one “factory direct.” smile

What are you talking about? I doubt this. I live in Hong Kong, and I think iPods are made in nearby Shenzhen. How would one go about getting one from the factory for “less than Apple is selling them for”?

By the way, Apple already sells them retail in HK for less than they sell them in the states, and there’s no tax. Not “factory direct”, though.

Posted by tonton on August 9, 2004 at 4:59 PM (PDT)

The iPod is made in Shanghai by Inventec. I’m not going to say how, but it _is_ possible. As you’re probably aware, the rules are different up there.

Posted by Neutral on August 9, 2004 at 8:18 PM (PDT)

from what i heard from a staff in apple centre in thailand, there is only 30 available here in bangkok…

Posted by :) on August 10, 2004 at 12:12 AM (PDT)

That is a pretty measly number…100?  I’m surprised that they didn’t have more there!  So not only did us in the US have to wait…it looks like people are waiting around the world…

Posted by Asian_N02 in Delaware on August 10, 2004 at 4:08 AM (PDT)

This does strike me as stupid. I was in the Apple Store for about five minutes about six weeks ago (picking up replacement in-ear phones to replace a pair that had broken) and in that short span of time, two people walked in and asked about availability of the iPod mini. Hopefully they’ll have better availability than in Taiwan.

Personally, I’m waiting for the 4G 60GB (or larger) player. The 15GB was more than enough for the size of my music collection a year ago, but it’s grown significantly since then.

Posted by Evil Timmy on August 11, 2004 at 11:04 PM (PDT)

I don’t believe that Americans are making such a stupid mistake for so many years. Taiwan is only a region,not a country. Don’t you ever know to respect other country’s sovereignty?

I think Apple has made a wise decision. I don’t know how many iPod minis have been shipped to mainland, but I’m sure they are more than 100. At present I live in Shanghai and the supply there is sufficient. However the price is not good enough. The official price is 2488 yuan (around $300).

Posted by Mr. James on August 17, 2004 at 6:51 PM (PDT)

“Taiwan is only a region,not a country.”

Yeah, and Tibet always wanted to join Mother China, right? That’s why all the beatings and killings, invasions and executions of Tibetan nationalists are just figments of our imagination?

Posted by imperialist alert on August 17, 2004 at 7:08 PM (PDT)

dudes….this was a joke, a Fxcking big joke.
I am a Taiwanese and the true story of 100 unit sold in 30 minutes is….

Apple, Taiwan promised all resellers to accept pro-order a while ago. However, while users are waiting for the oreder shipped…BANG…there is a debut for 100 units iPod mini!! Most of resellers are pissed…I mean pissed with capital P!!
Becasue Apple Taiwan just tell them the item is “out of stock.”

The dabut was also ridiculous…
nobody wanted to buy one becasue most of them already ordered .

after 30 minutes…
thing did not go well, none of them was sold….
However, a vice of a mac chain store reseller came up and grab 60 of them, and a “MAC celebrity” grabbed rest of 40.

People get very pissed off on how Apple Taiwan screwed up this.
100 iPod unit dabut after promising accept pre-order.
Telling reseller the item is out of stock after 100 unit debut.

btw, sorry about my bad english…

Posted by joke.... on August 17, 2004 at 7:12 PM (PDT)

“beatings and killings, invasions and executions”? You wanna talk about this?

Then how about the things going on in Iraq?

Why Tibet wants to join mainland? It’s already a part of it. Your words are just ridiculous.

Hey, the Taiwanese above, if you want an iPod, perhaps you can find it in some local stores. Apple Centre is disappointing. Its price is the most expensive.

Posted by Mr. James on August 19, 2004 at 4:24 PM (PDT)

but the truth is, taiwan is not part of china, this is the truth….accept it…

Posted by hongcy in Australia on February 24, 2005 at 2:37 AM (PDT)

Mr. James you are completely brainwashed. I suggest you shoot yourself before you cause the apocalypse by your ignorance and arrogance.

Posted by Duff on June 16, 2005 at 12:52 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >