iPod nano 4G, touch 2G dimensions revealed? | iLounge News

iPod nano 4G, touch 2G dimensions revealed?

Confirming details first reported by iLounge in July, apparent dimensional drawings for both the fourth-generation iPod nano and second-generation iPod touch have appeared, suggesting that the devices will have familiar measurements but with interesting new shapes and features.

image

Images of the supposed new iPod nano show a device that measures 90.75mm tall by 38.75mm wide by 6.08mm deep, compared to the second-generation nano’s measurements of 90mm by 40mm by 6.5mm. These numbers suggest that the device will be the thinnest and narrowest iPod nano yet released, though almost inperceptibly so, while also just a hint taller than the original and second-generation models. An oval-like body shape will be similar to, but apparently more pronounced than the one on the second-generation nano. Notably, the images seem to extinguish a concern that the device’s screen would be curved to match its shape; the metal body will give way to a plastic-covered screen that is as flat as prior-generation screens.

image

The second-generation iPod touch is depicted as having a shape similar to the iPhone 3G, masking increases in both the height and thickness by using a more tapered enclosure. This device is shown as measuring 111mm tall by 61.8mm wide and 8.4mm deep, versus the original iPod touch’s 110mm height, 61.8mm width, and 8mm depth, and the iPhone 3G’s 115.5mm, 62.1mm, and 12.3mm measurements. What appears to be an antenna enclosure is shown on its rear top left, with the same headphone port and Dock Connector port arrangement at its bottom. Notably, the drawings show what appear to be volume controls on the left side, addressing a key concern of iPod touch users; the added thickness might be attributable to changes in the battery.

As always, advance reports on Apple products may or may not prove entirely accurate, and should be treated as speculation until confirmed by the company. In any case, we’ll have more on the new iPod nano and iPod touch in the days to come.

image
image

« Sharp intros mini audio system with iPod dock

Apple, AT&T sued again over iPhone 3G problems »

Comments

I don’t think you’ve got this right, my info is that the iPod Touch 2nd generation will be thinner, and not the same shape as the iPhone 3G.  As for the Nano, it will look very similar to the images doing the rounds, but then I could be wrong ;)

Posted by snave on September 3, 2008 at 11:45 AM (CDT)

How could you make the Touches any thinner without risking them getting bent when you put it in your pocket?  Ergonomically it’s to thin for it’s surface area.

Posted by Danno Ferrin on September 3, 2008 at 11:47 AM (CDT)

is it just me or does it look like there is a new small port on the bottom left side next to the doc connector?  (Small orange half circle, might have to zoom in to see)

Posted by iisamu on September 3, 2008 at 11:56 AM (CDT)

to iisamu

it’s the headphone

Posted by stupid on September 3, 2008 at 12:24 PM (CDT)

Exactly…just..er…glad to see they are keeping it.  Yes… <runs away>

Posted by iisamu on September 3, 2008 at 12:40 PM (CDT)

The Touch gaining a little bit more thickness and height kind of back up what I’ve been suspecting for a while..  I suspect the Touch will either gain a camera, GPS or both.  I think it will gain a camera before it ever gains GPS.  A camera makes sense on the Touch.  I know people are going to say that Apple wouldn’t do that because that would make it too much like the iPhone.  I’ve seen that argument before.  The thing is people don’t buy the iPhone because it has a camera.  There is no reason the Touch couldn’t have a camera on it either.

Posted by Phoenixfury on September 3, 2008 at 12:59 PM (CDT)

I seriously hope that it A) has a built-in speaker, B) has those volume buttons, but also a pause/play button with user-configurable double-click action, such as skip forward, and C) has a user-replaceable battery. I want all of those things in my next iPod touch. Admittedly, though, I’d accept just volume controls and a speaker, or even just the speaker. I absolutely won’t buy another iPod touch until it at least has a speaker.

Regarding a user-replaceable battery, this is especially needed now that we have the AppStore. I use my iPod Touch a ridiculous amount now and have to charge at least once a day, sometimes twice. That kind of usage is going to kill the battery in the long term, or even the shorter term, and I’m not at all looking forward to having to ship my iPod Touch to them, and be without it for days or longer, and pay them so much for the service, just to get the battery replaced. Plus I’d like the option of installing a higher capacity, perhaps 3rd party, battery.

Posted by SteveJ on September 3, 2008 at 1:07 PM (CDT)

I just got a refurbished iTouch (16 GB) for $299, figuring that any modifications to it will be minor at best—plus I’m unwilling to pay more than that price.

Posted by bookcase on September 3, 2008 at 1:23 PM (CDT)

Given the price reduction for the 3G iphone I would hope for a similar price break for a 2G touch.

Course either an AT&T;presence in my area (NE Wyoming) or a relaxation in the exclusivity agreement would be nice.

Posted by Stephen Horlick on September 3, 2008 at 1:28 PM (CDT)

I don’t get why people are clamoring for volume and, apparently, pause/play buttons for the Touch…doesn’t that defeat the purpose of the “touch” aspect”?

Posted by Jeff Martin on September 3, 2008 at 1:28 PM (CDT)

The increase in thickness could be attributed to a bump in the memory capacity and/or the addition of GPS. I’m not so sure if Apple will add GPS (though I would certainly welcome it). Would the addition of a GPS chip significantly increase the production cost of the new touch?

I disagree with Phoenixfury regarding the camera—I highly doubt one will be included. In addition to the iPhone cannibalization argument, I think Steve Jobs would argue that people want to take pictures to send to others, and since the touch can only access available wi-fi networks, users wouldn’t get much mileage out of it.

I doubt there will be a built-in speaker. Again, there doesn’t seem to be a compelling need for it (though I’d probably use it as an alarm and other functions if it came to fruition) since it’s not a phone. But I certainly hope volume control is in the offing, as SteveJ suggests.

I suppose we’ll know in less than a week ...

Posted by cxc273 on September 3, 2008 at 1:30 PM (CDT)

It not an iTouch. . say it with me, NOT AN iTouch! It was never called iTouch.

It’s called iPod Touch, you know that, learn it, used it.

Posted by Pumapayam on September 3, 2008 at 1:30 PM (CDT)

SteveJ:

Why do you want a speaker? Any “speaker” on any mobile phone / MP3 player sounds absolutely terrible! I can’t believe that people actually want them. The ‘craze’ for people to use them - annoyingly - in public is just baffling. They do it to annoy people, it can’t be because it sounds good. Most of the time you can’t hear anything. I think iPods NOT having speakers is a good feature! Because tiny speakers are crap.

Also, Apple are never, ever going to do a replaceable battery. No iPod has ever had one, the iPhone doesn’t, and now the MacBook Air doesn’t have one. Get another charger, or one of the battery packs that uses the Dock port.

Posted by Gareth Bourne on September 3, 2008 at 1:35 PM (CDT)

My maximum price to spend is going to be $199.  I’m really hoping to see an iPod Touch in this price range.  I will not buy something refurbished.  I don’t care if it’s only 8GB.  I want the added features of a Touch vs. the Nano.

Posted by brian on September 3, 2008 at 1:39 PM (CDT)

There are nowhere neer sufficient number of dimensions here to allow anyone to engineer the cases and there dimensions that are shown are of very poor quality. It’s clearly an amature’s attempt at fakery.

Posted by RichH on September 3, 2008 at 1:39 PM (CDT)

I think a speaker would be a good idea.  Not to use it to listen to music, but to use the Touch as an alarm clock, or for notifications, or games.  I agree music wouldn’t sound too good, but for the other features of the Touch, a speaker would be nice.

Posted by brian on September 3, 2008 at 1:42 PM (CDT)

does anyone else see that long orange oval on the back of the ipod touch (upper left corner) blue print? What possibly could that be besides a camera. I understand that it would not be like the one on the iphone (small circle) but that may mean a better resolution such as 3.2mp or even 5! what all do you think

Posted by Nick on September 3, 2008 at 1:58 PM (CDT)

Please, please please don’t let them put a speaker in it. Society is already plagued by the most anti-social behavior -  teenagers and kids wandering around, on buses and trains with music blasting out of their mobile phones!!

Posted by Jam on September 3, 2008 at 2:05 PM (CDT)

Please please please put speakers in the ipod touch. Not only would it be great for applications, but a great way to share movies with the person next to you. It is true that our society does have increasingly bad anti-social behavior but simple things like having your ipod touch beep when you have an appointment coming up would be amazing. I’m not saying to loose head phones but sometimes it’s annoying putting head phones in just to watch a 5 min video clip on youtube. What does everyone else think?

Posted by Nick on September 3, 2008 at 2:22 PM (CDT)

There will never be GPS in the iPod Touch.

Currently, in order for the mapping functionality on the iPod Touch/iPhone to work, you need the map data to be streamed over the network (WiFi/edge/3G). The Touch only has WiFi, and presumably people who are lost and need GPS will not have a WiFi signal to actually see the map data for their location.

Speakers would be nice for gaming and sharing YouTube videos with your friends.

Posted by Mike K. on September 3, 2008 at 2:39 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 5 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›