iPod nano 4G, touch 2G dimensions revealed? | iLounge News

iPod nano 4G, touch 2G dimensions revealed?

Confirming details first reported by iLounge in July, apparent dimensional drawings for both the fourth-generation iPod nano and second-generation iPod touch have appeared, suggesting that the devices will have familiar measurements but with interesting new shapes and features.

image

Images of the supposed new iPod nano show a device that measures 90.75mm tall by 38.75mm wide by 6.08mm deep, compared to the second-generation nano’s measurements of 90mm by 40mm by 6.5mm. These numbers suggest that the device will be the thinnest and narrowest iPod nano yet released, though almost inperceptibly so, while also just a hint taller than the original and second-generation models. An oval-like body shape will be similar to, but apparently more pronounced than the one on the second-generation nano. Notably, the images seem to extinguish a concern that the device’s screen would be curved to match its shape; the metal body will give way to a plastic-covered screen that is as flat as prior-generation screens.

image

The second-generation iPod touch is depicted as having a shape similar to the iPhone 3G, masking increases in both the height and thickness by using a more tapered enclosure. This device is shown as measuring 111mm tall by 61.8mm wide and 8.4mm deep, versus the original iPod touch’s 110mm height, 61.8mm width, and 8mm depth, and the iPhone 3G’s 115.5mm, 62.1mm, and 12.3mm measurements. What appears to be an antenna enclosure is shown on its rear top left, with the same headphone port and Dock Connector port arrangement at its bottom. Notably, the drawings show what appear to be volume controls on the left side, addressing a key concern of iPod touch users; the added thickness might be attributable to changes in the battery.

As always, advance reports on Apple products may or may not prove entirely accurate, and should be treated as speculation until confirmed by the company. In any case, we’ll have more on the new iPod nano and iPod touch in the days to come.

image
image

« Sharp intros mini audio system with iPod dock

Apple, AT&T sued again over iPhone 3G problems »

Comments

I think a speaker would be great for apps and notification services. I don’t want to check my calendar every day, but I want the speaker to notify me on an appointment!

I think a camera would be nice but not the killer feature.

I think a gps-chip pushes the iPod touch to a navigation system. And it would be cool to log your ways or geo-tag played songs. Like, wuuh last time I have heard Nothing Else Matters was on Christmas 2007 ;-) I am sure developers will use all the hardware features. Since the app store the hardware limits the cool iPod touch!

Posted by Torben on September 3, 2008 at 2:46 PM (CDT)

Looks like another iPhone lite. Touch remains the red headed step child.

Posted by Surf Monkey on September 3, 2008 at 2:55 PM (CDT)

I still stand behind the possibility of a camera on the iPod Touch.  In software the iPod Touch is already there.  In fact now if you plug a 2.0+ iPod Touch into Windows it’s even detected as a camera under “computer”.  Also since the Touch also has WIFI, this gives the Touch the same capability as the EYEfi cards out there.

I also had a though that on the surface may seem unlikely, but if you think about it would be genius!  3G!  Yeah I know doesn’t sound likely, that would certainly canalize iPhone sales, wouldn’t it.. Or would it.  After all you can buy 3G cards for your notebook, can’t you not?  Ok lets look at the bigger picture here.  Make 3G prepay or contract and bring in a customer that probably wasn’t going to get the iPhone anyway.  They get your name, your number blah blah blah.  They get your money for 3G service and an opportunity to upsale you to a iPhone eventually.  In this case the Touch probably wouldn’t have a camera or GPS, but would make a great marketing tool to win over converts to a cell carrier that carries the iPhone.  Yeah that’s a long shot and likely wouldn’t happen, but it could.

Posted by Phoenixfury on September 3, 2008 at 3:04 PM (CDT)

Sorry for the typo’s.  Wow, I really can’t type today!

Posted by Phoenixfury on September 3, 2008 at 3:07 PM (CDT)

I agree with post #7 I hope there is A) Built-in speaker and Mic, and ext. volume cont. B) GPS or Camera C) FREE SOFTWARE UPGRADES PLEASE!!!!!!!  Sorry Apple, unless you put a speaker in that thing, I don’t want to buy one,  I might just go with a Sony PSP 3000 because IT HAS a speaker and mic so you can make Skype calls with it.

Posted by KGP on September 3, 2008 at 3:12 PM (CDT)

All I want from the new Touch is a speaker and a headset jack that supports Mic input.

With VOIP on the Touch I could ditch my phone for good and forget about data plans.

GPS is nice but people should have GPS units for what they need. IF I can load maps I’m happy without GPS.

A 2MP camera without flash or autofocus I can do without.

Posted by readyon3 on September 3, 2008 at 3:23 PM (CDT)

Speaking of the orange circle ... Have you perhaps considered that it is the wifi antenne? Since it obviously is placed exactly at the location of the plastic cap on the current generation iPod Touch… There is no need to go All-plastic with the iPod touch and wifi still needs to pass through the case… Not to mention that curved metal would be extremely pleasing to look at and hold….

Posted by habib Akbar on September 3, 2008 at 3:24 PM (CDT)

@ JEFF MARTIN:

~I don’t get why people are clamoring for volume and, apparently, pause/play buttons for the Touch…doesn’t that defeat the purpose of the “touch” aspect”?~

If you had an iPhone, you’d know, and wouldn’t be able to live without it.  The only reason I didn’t pull the trigger on an iTouch (deal with it, Pumapayam) was that I couldn’t operate it blind.  I spend a lot of time on my bike or with the player in a bag and I don’t want to have to go fishing for it every time I wanted to change volume or songs.  With the iPhone, hoewver, I can reach into my back pocket and operate the volume blind, and the fob on the earphones lets me play/pause and skip forward.  It’s amazing.

Sure, there are after market headphones that will do that for me, but not without a pretty substantial price.  Having the controls build right intot he device only makes sense IMHO.

Posted by rye on September 3, 2008 at 3:53 PM (CDT)

#12 pumapayam:

The name is and always will be TouchPod ...

Learn it, love it, live it ...

Posted by CounterCorp on September 3, 2008 at 3:58 PM (CDT)

If the curved back on the new Touch is made out of plastic instead of metal, that by itself would account for it being marginally thicker.  It would have to be slightly thicker to be strong enough.

Posted by Robert on September 3, 2008 at 4:15 PM (CDT)

I agree with RichH, those drawings look like something a kid in High School drafting class put together.  No way those are real Apple Design drawings !

Try again…

Posted by Bob K on September 3, 2008 at 4:15 PM (CDT)

It’s going to be thin, thin, thin :)

Posted by snave on September 3, 2008 at 4:18 PM (CDT)

31 BOB K:

That’s what autocad/gerber digital dies look like.

27 HABIB:

Re. WiFi:  That would be my guess too, but if the back is now plastic, there will be no reason to have a cosmetically viewable antenna housing on the device.

So my guess:  If the back is still metal, then it’s definitely the WiFi.  If it’s plastic, then it MAY be a camera…and how cool would it be if the large oval area was suggesting a flash?  **rubs hands together in glee…looks at iphone…:sadface:**

IN all liklihood, it’s the WiFi antenna housing and it’s in the CAD as an FPO.

Posted by rye on September 3, 2008 at 4:32 PM (CDT)

heh, maybe there was SOME truth to this rumour after all:

(better pic here) wwwDOTsizlopediaDOTcomSLASHwp-content/uploads/iphone3gred.jpg

By which I mean the aluminum backing.

THIS, BTW, remains my fave fake design for the iPhone, even more so than the ACTUAL design. :\

Posted by rye on September 3, 2008 at 4:44 PM (CDT)

Then what about those handheld gps i really don’t think you have to pay because oh wait its used by satelite.  the 3g and edge and wifi is what apple made into so you really can have gps.

Posted by puredudes on September 3, 2008 at 5:18 PM (CDT)

Guys there will be prepaid iphones where i read you get 12 months free 3g which you need to get a plan for that i think. so i doubt the touch will have 3g and its an ipod not a camera.

Posted by puredudes on September 3, 2008 at 5:20 PM (CDT)

We’re in America, so please use inches, not millimeters.

Posted by David R. on September 3, 2008 at 5:33 PM (CDT)

I don’t think those drawings are authentic. May be some smart made them from a false Rhinoceros model ;P

Posted by Raul Reynoso on September 3, 2008 at 5:41 PM (CDT)

@ 37 DAVID:

Not our fault that you’re incapable of counting to 100.

Posted by rye on September 3, 2008 at 5:43 PM (CDT)

For all the people saying they want a speaker for alarms and sounds…THE IPOD TOUCH ALREADY HAS ONE. there’s a simple speaker capable of doing system sounds. maybe you don’t have it turned on. look it up in settings. it notifies you of emails, all of the clock features, clicks as you type, etc…

get into it!

Posted by Jirms on September 3, 2008 at 5:53 PM (CDT)

Page 2 of 5 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›