iPod nano 4G, touch 2G dimensions revealed? | iLounge News

iPod nano 4G, touch 2G dimensions revealed?

Confirming details first reported by iLounge in July, apparent dimensional drawings for both the fourth-generation iPod nano and second-generation iPod touch have appeared, suggesting that the devices will have familiar measurements but with interesting new shapes and features.

image

Images of the supposed new iPod nano show a device that measures 90.75mm tall by 38.75mm wide by 6.08mm deep, compared to the second-generation nano’s measurements of 90mm by 40mm by 6.5mm. These numbers suggest that the device will be the thinnest and narrowest iPod nano yet released, though almost inperceptibly so, while also just a hint taller than the original and second-generation models. An oval-like body shape will be similar to, but apparently more pronounced than the one on the second-generation nano. Notably, the images seem to extinguish a concern that the device’s screen would be curved to match its shape; the metal body will give way to a plastic-covered screen that is as flat as prior-generation screens.

image

The second-generation iPod touch is depicted as having a shape similar to the iPhone 3G, masking increases in both the height and thickness by using a more tapered enclosure. This device is shown as measuring 111mm tall by 61.8mm wide and 8.4mm deep, versus the original iPod touch’s 110mm height, 61.8mm width, and 8mm depth, and the iPhone 3G’s 115.5mm, 62.1mm, and 12.3mm measurements. What appears to be an antenna enclosure is shown on its rear top left, with the same headphone port and Dock Connector port arrangement at its bottom. Notably, the drawings show what appear to be volume controls on the left side, addressing a key concern of iPod touch users; the added thickness might be attributable to changes in the battery.

As always, advance reports on Apple products may or may not prove entirely accurate, and should be treated as speculation until confirmed by the company. In any case, we’ll have more on the new iPod nano and iPod touch in the days to come.

image
image

« Sharp intros mini audio system with iPod dock

Apple, AT&T sued again over iPhone 3G problems »

Comments

@ #37 David R.

Hey buddy, Americans don’t dominate the earth.  So shut up and crawl back into your hole.

Posted by Shawaana on September 3, 2008 at 6:00 PM (CDT)

Is there any chance of an external speaker? That would rock.

Posted by Austin on September 3, 2008 at 6:38 PM (CDT)

Could the redesign have a actual hard drive in it instead of flash memory? and then get rid of the Ipod classic?

Posted by Spitfier on September 3, 2008 at 6:46 PM (CDT)

i got an idea for all of you instead of wanting this and that be happy what you have and also just wait till the 9th it ain’t that much more.

Posted by puredudes on September 3, 2008 at 7:17 PM (CDT)

I wanna buy a touch in couple of days,But the rumor…..
and I don’t know what to do now, waitting for the new one?or buy it right now. it will be perfect if touch can get a camera.

Posted by snake on September 3, 2008 at 8:56 PM (CDT)

yeah but you could download and add maps, possibly coinciding with larger drives

Posted by kevin on September 3, 2008 at 9:33 PM (CDT)

I doubt that it would have an actual hard drive.  The two biggest power drains are the hard drive spinning and the screen.

There is nothing you can do about the screen.  Having outside volume and track controls would help as the screen wouldn’t have to turn on to do that.

But a hard drive would just kill the battery.

I’m still using a 4g photo 60gig.  All my songs are at 320kbps mp3 (averaging 12 meg each) so I only average 2.5 songs in ram at a time.  My hard drive spins constantly.  Even new it only got 6 hours of battery instead of the 12-15 they promised.

I can’t imagine watching a video or doing anything else with a real hard drive on this thing.  At least not with the battery they include.

It must be possible because the new Archos 5 inch and 7 inch touchscreens go up to 250 gig (and have flash for browsing as well as divx and xvid support, hidef output to a tv and dvr).  Incorporate that stuff into this and it would be amazing.  Will never happen though cause apple would never allow all of that.  They want to keep selling you shows, and as much as anyone reading this site probably knows how to convert video from one format to another, the average person doesn’t.

Posted by jeff on September 3, 2008 at 10:14 PM (CDT)

MAN I CAN’T WAIT TO SEE HOW THE IPOD CLASSIC WILL LOOK LIKE, THAT’S IF THEY ARE GOING TO RELEASE THE CLASSIC AS WELL. I WAS JUST ABOUT TO ORDER ME AN IPOD CLASSIC BEFORE I SAW THIS NEWS. I THINK I’LL JUST WAIT TO SEE IF A NEWER VERSION WILL BE RELEASED ALONG WITH THE NANO AND TOUCH.

Posted by CLO on September 3, 2008 at 10:26 PM (CDT)

You can’t imagine watching a video from a hard drive?

Why not? Battery life on my 5G Video iPod is over 3 hours of video. I was getting about 60 minutes before I turned the brightness down.

The hard drive is NOT the power problem; the backlight is. A more efficient LED backlight would obviously help out the people that can’t find the dimmer for their screen.

Posted by JarOfSonicMen on September 3, 2008 at 10:32 PM (CDT)

i heard you cant use a ipod touch like a storage device, like you can with older gen ipods, without using 3rd party software or unlocking it?
This to me is just plain stupid.
If they are bringing out 64GB models i would love to use it as a portable harddrive so i can carry around my business files and work folders.
Why should i have to carry around an ipod for music and videos, and a separate flash drive for my other files, when with 16/32/64GB of space is plenty for all my stuff?
So thats what i hope they finally re-offer on the new gen touch.

Posted by Apple User on September 3, 2008 at 11:07 PM (CDT)

If you had a gig or two of ram for the video to be uploaded to it wouldn’t need to start and stop the hard drive as often, saving battery life.  Since flash memory has been dropping like a stone it could be conceivable for apple to go “over the top” and add this feature to a small product.

#47 your not comparing apples to apples.  The battery life that “they promised” is based on 128 kbps.

I agree with coment #50 that it would be nice to have your ipod
as a portable hd and I remember past patents from mac rumors that apple held about a mac home system that gave you your own personalized desktop when you plugged your ipod into.  But apple isn’t big on you caring around your own cables.  Their products always have a very clean design.  Besides I think that idea was dropped when they discontinued their mac mini with a serial/usb port on the top.  (Yes some mac mini’s had it but it wasn’t build into the case it was only under the hood.)  It would kinda be like the 1st gen ipod shuffle. Where you could set how much space was allotted to music and how much was to storage. But that option did disappear when they changed their stick of gum form factor to the clip.  (no cables to carry)

GPS.  I don’t think so.  If you want directions get an iphone.  A simple gps unit by garmen alone is still selling at about a hundred dollars.  (unless apples newly acquired division of making chips has one)

My only true prediction is that the ipod classic might be disappearing.  Why?  If it doesn’t it would be the only apple product with a screen that isn’t in wide screen format.

Posted by santa on September 3, 2008 at 11:53 PM (CDT)

Hey yall

do you recognize that little circle with the orange line at the top left of the back of the Touch?
thats where the WiFi receiver should be. but its different design.
- it doesn’t look like a receiver for its hard to receive the signal thru the BACK of the touch, not front or head

Would it be something else?

Posted by ROB DOB on September 4, 2008 at 6:15 AM (CDT)

I really hope they don’t discontinue the classic!

Posted by Laquisha on September 4, 2008 at 6:39 AM (CDT)

are you all stupid!? Here’s what i am planning to do… i am going to wait until the new ipod touch and nano (not that anyone will buy the nano), and once they are out, i will buy the old ipod touch, (because, really, they’re not that different), and by then, they will be a lot cheaper. Ah ha!

Posted by stevo on September 4, 2008 at 8:24 AM (CDT)

Please! GPS and audio INPUT! This would make it worth having and compatible with most of the useful apps. A camera would be nice, I suppose, but not essential.

And I really hope there’s no speaker on it… what a ridiculous thing that would be - a device that primarily serves the purpose of a music player with a tiny crappy speaker? That would bring down the perceived value of it… because people would be so annoyed by “how crappy those new iPods sound”...

Posted by Bobbo on September 4, 2008 at 9:32 AM (CDT)

now, if there were a camera and an inbuilt microphone, well to me that would just be ABSOLUTELY PERFECT for the goodly folk on the move using skype and all sorts of open source programs over the wi fi networks, around the world ... would it not?
music on the move ... photos on the move ... movies on the move ... and humans keeping in touch, on the move!
we should all petition Apple to this end, so that we can leave our iPhones at home and utilise our iPod Touches to their fullest extent.
if this doesn’t happen sooner or later, then I’ve got long, curly flaxen locks ( um, you guessed it, bald as a badger! )

Posted by Gforce100 on September 4, 2008 at 10:20 AM (CDT)

Gforce, I don’t understand why you’d want all this stuff available on public wifi networks, which is the only way you can do everything “on the move.” When I get my Touch, I’m going to be careful about where/on what network I even use my e-mail, let alone where I’ll use Skype…that’s asking to be monitored.

Posted by Jeff Martin on September 4, 2008 at 10:30 AM (CDT)

I doubt the Classic will be disappearing any time soon.  However I do have a bold prediction that I think will eventually happen to the classic in the name of battery life.  I think the Classic will become a hybrid flash and hard drive based player.  If you put your most played and highest ranked music on the flash portion of the iPod and everything else on the hard drive portion, you would reduce your battery consumption quite a bit.  If Kevin Roses predictions on iTunes 8 comes true, then a hybrid iPod would make total sense to take advantage of the new iTunes features.

Posted by Phoenixfury on September 4, 2008 at 12:18 PM (CDT)

I’m hoping for Bluetooth for the touch.  I think that being able to link with wireless headphones and even Bluetooth enabled head units in cars would be a very nice feature. :)

Posted by Derek S. on September 4, 2008 at 12:59 PM (CDT)

How about a memory card slot to hold the map database for the GPS?

Posted by Bender on September 4, 2008 at 1:08 PM (CDT)

Page 3 of 5 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >