iPod nano 5G gains larger screen, video camera, FM radio
During its Rock and Roll media event today, Apple unveiled the fifth-generation iPod nano, sporting a larger screen and on-board camera amongst other improvements. The device’s screen has grown to 2.2-inches with 240 x 376 resolution, running farther down the front of the nano, allowing for a wider aspect ratio when watching movies in landscape orientation and more menu items when held vertically. Also new is a video-capable camera on the lower back left corner of the nano, matching a previous report from iLounge, which captures H.264, 640 x 480 VGA video at rates of up to 30 frames per second with AAC audio. The video function also offers 15 real-time special effects, including Sepia, Black and White, X-Ray, Film Grain, Thermal, Security Cam, Cyborg, Bulge, Kaleido, Motion Blur, Mirror, Light Tunnel, Dent, Stretch, and Twirl. The iPod nano 5G also packs a built-in microphone and speaker, built-in FM radio with live pause and iTunes Tagging features, support for Genius Mixes, a shiny, polished anodized aluminum finish, and a built-in, Nike+ capable pedometer. According to Apple, the iPod nano 5G offers up to 24 hours of music playback time and up to 5 hours of video playback time when fully charged, the same promised audio playback as the fourth-generation model, but one hour more of video playback. The fifth-generation iPod nano is available now in nine colors—silver, black, purple, blue, green, orange, yellow, red, and pink—and sells for $149 for an 8GB model or $179 for a 16GB version.
Update: A hands-on video of the iPod nano 5G is now available for viewing on Vimeo.
- Apple intros space gray iPod touch, nano, shuffle
- Apple selling refurb seventh-gen iPod nano
- Apple releases software update 1.0.2 for 7th-gen iPod nano
- iPod nano 7G torn down, 220 mAh battery inside
- HardCandy Cases debuts new Nano Clip
- Apple releases iPod nano 7G software 1.0.1
- Apple Watch unboxing gallery posted
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- FoneFox posts Apple Watch waterproof testing video
- iFixit posts Apple Watch teardown
- Apple posts Apple Watch User Guide
- Apple planning to release new iPod touch later this year?
- Nokia shopping around its Maps division, courting Apple
- Apple Watch pre-orders arriving tomorrow, Apple posts more Guided Tours
- Security flaw opens iOS devices to attack using fake WiFi hotspots
- Security flaw leaves about 1,500 iOS apps vulnerable to attack
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?