iPod nano 5G gains larger screen, video camera, FM radio | iLounge News

iPod nano 5G gains larger screen, video camera, FM radio

During its Rock and Roll media event today, Apple unveiled the fifth-generation iPod nano, sporting a larger screen and on-board camera amongst other improvements. The device’s screen has grown to 2.2-inches with 240 x 376 resolution, running farther down the front of the nano, allowing for a wider aspect ratio when watching movies in landscape orientation and more menu items when held vertically. Also new is a video-capable camera on the lower back left corner of the nano, matching a previous report from iLounge, which captures H.264, 640 x 480 VGA video at rates of up to 30 frames per second with AAC audio. The video function also offers 15 real-time special effects, including Sepia, Black and White, X-Ray, Film Grain, Thermal, Security Cam, Cyborg, Bulge, Kaleido, Motion Blur, Mirror, Light Tunnel, Dent, Stretch, and Twirl. The iPod nano 5G also packs a built-in microphone and speaker, built-in FM radio with live pause and iTunes Tagging features, support for Genius Mixes, a shiny, polished anodized aluminum finish, and a built-in, Nike+ capable pedometer. According to Apple, the iPod nano 5G offers up to 24 hours of music playback time and up to 5 hours of video playback time when fully charged, the same promised audio playback as the fourth-generation model, but one hour more of video playback. The fifth-generation iPod nano is available now in nine colors—silver, black, purple, blue, green, orange, yellow, red, and pink—and sells for $149 for an 8GB model or $179 for a 16GB version.

Update: A hands-on video of the iPod nano 5G is now available for viewing on Vimeo.

« New iPod touches offer increased speed, storage

Apple boosts iPod classic storage to 160GB »

Comments

It’s interesting that none of these features, whether it be the camera, FM radio, or whatnot, made it on to the classic or the touch. There had been rumors that there were issues with adding cameras to the touch and possibly other iPods. I wonder if the lack of a camera on the touch and classic means the rumor was true.

What I find strange is why Apple didn’t bother adding radio or the Nike running feature to the classic. It’s weird that only the Nano got the upgrade and the other lines pretty much stayed the same, save for the upgrade in capacities. I think it would be rather easy to at least do those two things on the classic.

Maybe Apple is saying that the classic is going to do one thing and one thing only—be the extreme high-capacity iPod?

Posted by cxc273 on September 9, 2009 at 12:02 PM (PDT)

How on earth could they not at least add the FM radio and pedometer to the touch and Classic?!?  I realise this is the running friendly model, but come on Apple, a capacity bump is all the other models really get?  And a speed upgrade on specific models only?  I must say, had the nano actually had the storage capacity I require, I would be buying one of these.  Alas, another year gone by, another generation of ipods that miss all of my needs.

Posted by Kikapu on September 9, 2009 at 12:14 PM (PDT)

well, cxc273- its not so strange that the classic doesnt have the radio or running features (as much as I love the new classic-and will be getting one) I think Apple feels the “classic” not the future and longevity of the “iPod”- yes- it will be the “hold everything” iPod until the touch can grow to 100gb- i.n.h.o. I am now torn between the new classic- and the new iPod touch. the new iPod touch finally has storage capacity I can respect!

Posted by Hatman on September 9, 2009 at 12:33 PM (PDT)

Apple misses the mark again. They all kinds of new features that no one really asked for or wanted and leave the most important one out, capacity.

Where is the 32GB model Nano? Same old size. Sorry Apple, but you won’t get any money from me until you INCREASE THE CAPACITY!!  Duh.

Posted by SameOldSize on September 9, 2009 at 1:22 PM (PDT)

I’m very disappointed that Apple chose not to include a stills option. I don’t see myself doing a lot of videos.

Posted by Oscar M. on September 9, 2009 at 1:38 PM (PDT)

I’m so weak…. I read three paragraphs about the fifth-gen nano, and I’ll be heading out to buy one right after dinner.  Red, of course.

Posted by Brian on September 9, 2009 at 1:53 PM (PDT)

I am also disappointed by a lack of stills option.  But remember last year when everyone cryed foul about not being able to switch off Cover Flow.  They had that updated fairly quickly.  I would think you could do the same here with a software update.

Posted by Jon on September 9, 2009 at 2:03 PM (PDT)

Are the colours of the fifth generation nanos very different to the fourth generations? I liked the fourth gen. colours, but the fifth gen. is shiny, and I was wondering whether it is completely different.

Posted by Alice on September 9, 2009 at 3:34 PM (PDT)

I don’t think that Apple can add the Nike running features or the pedometers to the Classic.  This model still uses an old fashioned hard drive, with a rapidly rotating magnetic platter and a read head positioned a tiny distance away.  Classics used for running don’t last very long.  Walking (e.g., the pedometer) may be less stressful on the hard drive but I can see why Apple would not want to encourage it.

Posted by Grelkman on September 9, 2009 at 4:22 PM (PDT)

Here is my question after seeing the Nano being reviewed. Why did they place the camera at the lower-left hand side of the Nano? When you are recording and place the Nano horizontally, dont you naturally want to hold the nano in such a way that you do not cover the screen? which means holding it on the lower part of nano, where incidentally the camera is located, which means an awkward hand position in order to record and not cover the screen. Am I the only one that got that? Apple is so good in engineering, how did they mess this up?!

Posted by djJASMAN in California on September 9, 2009 at 5:28 PM (PDT)

I think it’s super ironic how the new iPod Nano’s video capabilities are exemplified with video clips taken in the middle of a lake and at a beach. The iPod Nano also has a litmus paper sensor that detects water damage. FAIL.

Posted by Daryll G. on September 9, 2009 at 5:59 PM (PDT)

I’m very disappointed that the capacity wasn’t increased as well. This is the most important feature.

Posted by redralph on September 9, 2009 at 6:25 PM (PDT)

Hi, let’s add a memory-hungry video camera to an ipod line with an already limited storage capacity - and then not even bump up the capacity! Helloooo, what’s going on in Cupertino?

I was so excited for todays announcements because I wanted to buy a replacement large-capacity ipod. Guess now I’ll be waiting because Apple chose not to make it worth my while.

Obviously they’re only putting time and money into their best-selling iPod lines, which are the lower-capacity models that tweenagers go bananas over. Please don’t forget about your power users, Apple.

Posted by Adam Wade on September 9, 2009 at 9:19 PM (PDT)

announcing the new 160gb iPod classic!!... Again. They already did this back in 2007. Grantid it was $349 for it then.. Still though. And I purchases the new nano just yesterday and LOVE it. “camera” option would have been nice but I’m sure it will be a software updAte. If the camera in the unit can shoot video… It can take still shots for sure. I ha the 160gb classic whn it came out two years ago, and got tired of it’s bulkiness so sold it on craigslist for $220 and bought the new 16gb silver nano. Such a size difference. Between my iPod nano, and iPhone 3gs (both 16gb I think I have enough memory, though 30 or 32gb would have been nice.) ohh and to answer the “why is camera on bottom of iPod, well cuz it couldn’t be on the top due to how thin nano is, the screens up top, it simply wouldn’t hve had room, thus increasing the thickness of the delibrately thin iPod smile.

Posted by Btd0655 on September 12, 2009 at 12:34 AM (PDT)

Having just purchased one of these, I must say im pretty pissed off that there seems not to be a damn case in existence in any of the local stores for these things. Is it really too much to ask that when you release the device you also give us an option for a case since this model isn’t compatible with 4th gen cases?

Posted by malkman on September 18, 2009 at 11:12 PM (PDT)

I recently got my 5th gen nano replaced as there was something wrong with the channel volumes. I was happy with everything else. When I got the new one, I noticed that the image of the camera was a lot more distorted than the old one, and had a lot more contrast. The contrast is ok, but the distortion I can’t stand as I do a lot of filming for youtube videos. Basically if you pan the camera too fast everything that is vertical seems to bend out of shape until I put the camera in stationary position. Is this just me or happening to everyone?

Posted by Lochana on March 23, 2010 at 10:10 PM (PDT)