iPod nano 6G announced with Multi-Touch interface | iLounge News

iPod nano 6G announced with Multi-Touch interface

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, September 1, 2010
News Categories: iPod nano

Apple has announced its new sixth-generation iPod nano, dropping the device’s Click Wheel in favor of a Multi-Touch interface. As expected, the device features physical, iPhone 4-like volume buttons, a polished aluminum and glass enclosure, a clip on the back, headphone and dock connector ports on the bottom, and a sleep/wake button on the top opposite the volume controls. The new nano’s interface appears to be very similar to that of iOS, with four customizable option icons on each screen, and multiple screens available—however, it does not actually appear to be running iOS, at least as the name generally would indicate. Like the fifth-generation iPod nano, it includes a FM radio, Nike+ support, a built-in pedometer, and VoiceOver support, and will offer 24 hours of audio playback; gone are the video playback and camera capabilities of the prior model. The sixth-generation iPod nano will be available next week in seven colors, including a Product Red version, and will sell for $149 for an 8GB model and $179 for the 16GB version.

Spec fiends should note that the iPod nano now measures 1.48” by 1.61” by 0.35” including the rear clip, with a weight of 0.74 ounces. It does contain an accelerometer, and promises 24 hours of music playback—no video playback—off a full charge. The 240 pixel by 240 pixel screen has 220 pixels per inch, and includes accessibility modes for visually and sonically disabled users. However, the device lacks for the Home button of the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad that came before, requiring swiping or holding gestures to switch between sub-menus, which may confuse some users at first.

« Apple intros FaceTime-capable iPod touch 4G

Apple debuts fourth-generation iPod shuffle »

Comments

The other week, I was at an Apple Store over in Pentagon City (just south of D.C.), and got to play with the new nano.  Yeah, it is cute, but found it to be almost TOO small.  For my big fingers, the screen was not the easiest for me to navigate.  I have to agree with the review on this site that it really would’ve been nice if they could’ve added a “home” button to take you back to the main screen.  I also found myself having to hold it by the headphone plug with one hand while navigating the screen with the other hand to select any music.  I definitely preferred the larger format ala the previous generation of the nano.  I guess that is why I have an iPod Touch instead.  More capacity and a larger screen that I find much easier to navigate with.

Posted by SkiBumMSP on October 4, 2010 at 6:15 PM (PDT)

As a workout device, I’ve found the new NANO to be close to perfect. Completely unnoticeable when worn and 8 times the capacity of the shuffle. Who watched video on a NANO anyway? I have an iPhone and an iPad for that. I don’t want those video features that make no sense on such a tiny device. This way I don’t have to strap it on my arm like users of the previous generations of NANO. As for the unnecessary and bloated features they removed from the old NANOs, I say good riddance. Everything they took off the NANO, my iPhone does a thousand times better anyway. Apple hit the nail right on the head with this one.

Posted by Keith Plenert on October 6, 2010 at 12:08 AM (PDT)

i think the ipod new ipod nano is an exajeration because i thought they were gonna put built in camera so you can take picture but the removed the video camera totaly

Posted by gino on November 28, 2010 at 10:50 AM (PDT)

i pod nano is sooooo amazing! it is just a mix of iphone, ipad and ipod! i love it! but the thing is that i dont know where to download games for free for my new ipod…

Posted by beema siddiqui on December 20, 2010 at 9:46 PM (PDT)

well i got the new nano for x-mas present. i cant say i hate it, but i dont love it. it was my vey first ipod though. unlike the 5g nano… there is no camera,built in speakers,video playback,and if you do the black on white setting it makes ur pictures negative colored:(

Posted by jessica ramon on January 30, 2011 at 6:48 PM (PDT)

the i pod nano is a waist of an ipod really. You cant watch any video and you cant get apps. Yes I know that the screen is supper small but its better than nothing. I mean I think that number 18 knows what hes talking about and like its only good for people that dont use it much and dont want all the apps and video. They need to be able to get apps on it or it just sucks.

Posted by dean on February 25, 2011 at 2:13 PM (PDT)

I’ll definitely be sticking with my 5g where I can actually watch videos…. Poor move apple.

Posted by Curtis on March 16, 2011 at 9:14 PM (PDT)

I lost my 5th gen and received a 6th gen for Christmas (really thoughtful gift! I am not griping about this and feel bad for even reviewing now) but seriously, apple should have stuck with the old model nano, and made the 6th gen into a “shuffle”
Really, it is not very impressive to me, beyond the touch screen. Really the ability to flip it is nice during a workout (which is literally all I use this thing for because it doesn’t offer much else) but it’s hard to even change songs or anything while it’s clipped to you anyways, so that doesn’t offer any more convenience than previous non-touch models.
Don’t bother with it people….save up the extra $ for the classic or the touch models.

Posted by ej on March 20, 2011 at 8:15 PM (PDT)

its no gd at ol cuz thers no video but its ok 4 work outz

Posted by kn on December 30, 2011 at 3:39 PM (PDT)

do i need any additional items for my nano 6 to make the running component work?

Posted by eric on January 17, 2012 at 6:43 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2