iPod nano 6G interface, iPod + iPhone family photos posted | iLounge News

iPod nano 6G interface, iPod + iPhone family photos posted

In addition to our earlier galleries showing the unboxing of the sixth-generation iPod nano and fourth-generation iPod touch, comparisons of the new models to their predecessors, and images comparing the rear-facing camera of the iPod touch 4G to that of the iPhone 4, iLounge has posted new photos to our Flickr photostream showing off the touch-based interface of the new iPod nano, as well as a new photo—seen in limited resolution above—of the entire 2010 lineup of iPods, iPhones, and the iPad.

« The Wallee iPad case doubles as wall mount

iPhone 4/iPod touch 4G camera comparison photos, video posted »

Comments

And yet, when I look at the Classic, I still love it.

Just wish they would have updated the GUI..(use all that extra white space)

Posted by BB1970 on September 8, 2010 at 1:04 PM (PDT)

In view of the fact that the Classic is being left to stagnate and eventually die, you have to wonder which current Ipod product will be the capacity leader in the future.  Why the new Nano was made smaller (while retaining its current GB capacity) is baffling.  As small as the prior generation Nano was—-why didn’t Apple keep the same size and increase its capacity?  Will Apple increase the GB capacity of future Touch models to rival what the Classic currently has?  I think Apple is making a strategic blunder.

Posted by Martin L on September 9, 2010 at 2:06 AM (PDT)

My thought on the role of the Classic is this, Apple is keeping it on the market for that smaller percentage of users that have truly large music libraries. The majority of users seem to fall under the 64GB max that the Touch offers. That is casting a wide net. Using the Classic to appease those (like me) that have over 100GB is not Apple’s “bread and butter” anymore.

I will say that, at the rate people are using iTunes (and other digital stores) to acquire music, movies, games, etc., the rest of the line will need to start increasing capacity pretty soon. I would not be surprised to see the Touch jump to 128GB in the next 12 months.

Posted by Mitch on September 9, 2010 at 4:04 AM (PDT)

I really won’t care if they do make a Touch with 160, 320, or larger GB in it. I still wouldn’t buy it, as I already own an iPhone. My 160GB classic basically stays in my car and is plugged in as my ‘jukebox’ for my car…and I occasionally pull it out for mowing the lawn and other things I want to headphone it. If it ever dies and Apple has discontinued the Classic….I guess I’ll be rigging up an old hard drive with an iPod connector somehow. That’s basically all my iPod is used for….a hard drive full of music that functions with my car stereo.

Posted by Eric on September 9, 2010 at 6:52 AM (PDT)

“The only question that remains would be, does Apple drop the Classic or increase it’s capacity (say 320GB) to maintain those of us that will still have more content than the Touch can handle.”

That’s not a question in need of an answer in my mind. Apple will, at the latest, be dropping the Classic the year they bump the touch to 128GB. I’m kind of surprised it’s still around this year given the complete lack of competition.

Other than some freakishly expensive “audiophile” aimed players, I don’t know of any large capacity non-flash based media players out there. All of Apple’s competition have dropped their HD based players. In truth, Apple has a monopoly on that consumer base, and Apple’s behavior since 2007 says they consider that consumer base less and less worth their time.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised to learn they’ve kept the Classic on shelves only until they use up all their components they have on hand and then will quietly discontinue it.

You sell an iPhone, you get at least 2 years of revenue from contract bounties. You sell an iPhone or a touch, you get a cut of app sales that ARE very popular. The nano doesn’t have any such post sale profit model but, with the change to a subset of iOS, its development is now largely subsidized by the higher profile, higher profit iPhone/touch/iPad development instead of being its own financial cost.

Given that, in spite of its general success and profit, each iPod sold sale equals, at most, a single additional album’s worth of music from the iTunes store sold, where is the benefit in continued Classic support for Apple?

The iOS provides for Apple what they always wanted with the clickwheel platform but couldn’t achieve due to the generally open nature of music: lockdown to Apple’s platform. The effectively music only Classic is such a non-fit for the current evolution of the iPod ecosystem that I’ll eat a dollar bill if there’s ever another revision.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on September 9, 2010 at 7:01 AM (PDT)

Code Monkey - I tend to agree. I was surprised that the Classic was still around after this years iPod Event. When they said they had redesigned across the entire line, I assumed the Classic would be gone and the Touch would be 128GB.

I have an iPhone 4, so the Touch is not really very attractive to me. Even at a higher capacity. Like Eric, my 80GB click-wheel 5th Gen iPod is now used as my car jukebox. I take it out only to update the music that is on it. I don’t even use it with headphones to mow the grass (my iPhone can certainly manage that).

Posted by Mitch on September 9, 2010 at 9:57 AM (PDT)