iPod nano 6G plays music videos, vodcasts as audio | iLounge News

iPod nano 6G plays music videos, vodcasts as audio

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, September 9, 2010
News Categories: iPod nano

iLounge has discovered that the sixth-generation iPod nano is capable of syncing and playing back both video podcasts and music videos, albeit without actual video. Instead, the device plays back the audio contained within the video files, and displays a single keyframe on the screen as opposed to full-on video. This should come as good news to potential iPod nano 6G users with large collections of either video podcasts, music videos, or both, and also gives the new nano another library of free content—through video podcasts—on which to draw from, albeit in a limited nature. The device remains closed to movies and TV shows, however.

« IvySkin rolls out Quattro 4, SmartCase for iPhone 4

Apple TV poll ends, new Apple product poll begins »

Comments

Wait…what? The new nano doesn’t play VIDEO?

Major fail. I actually liked the device till finding that out. The loss of the video recording didn’t bother me, but the lack of video playback just makes me want to avoid all iPods but the touch now. *sigh*

Posted by Daniel S. on September 9, 2010 at 2:50 PM (PDT)

“but the lack of video playback just makes me want to avoid all iPods but the touch now.”

Congratulations, their plan worked perfectly wink

Worked on me too, of course. After five different models of clickwheel iPods, I’m now sporting a touch.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on September 9, 2010 at 3:49 PM (PDT)

I don’t see the new Nano as a “fail” for that reason. I see it as Apple trying to really streamline their devices. You want video? Then get a Touch. You want music in a smaller form factor? The Nano may be right for you. I think it’s clear that Apple would rather people by an iPhone or iPod Touch. The Nano still has a place and function, but they’ve intentionally created much more differentiation between the devices.

Posted by Jason on September 9, 2010 at 4:24 PM (PDT)

3) There was already plenty of differentiation.

It was: Music in a tiny form factor = shuffle.

Smaller iPod classic that sacrificed storage for flash storage and smaller footprint = iPod nano.

iPod that could carry everything plus the kitchen sink = iPod classic

Portable palmtop computer = iPod touch.

Now Apple has changed that to “iPod shuffle with a display = iPod nano.” I’d agree your argument if the entry level nano was $99 and the shuffle vanished completely, but the nano and classic have almost always had parity for the basic functions. Audio/video playback being one of them. Now the nano is basically a larger shuffle with a display. If previous generations of nano hadn’t had the video playback, this wouldn’t bother me so much…but it does, since I was actually considering one for a purchase.

Anyway, rant over. Just very disappointed with Apple’s choice to actually remove more features from a device that was already darn near ideal.

Posted by Daniel S. on September 9, 2010 at 5:33 PM (PDT)

Oh, and 2) I had a 1st gen iPod touch, then a 2nd gen, then sold that to snag my iPad. Now Apple is tempting me with the 4th gen touch, curse them! Must…resist…Retina…display…

Posted by Daniel S. on September 9, 2010 at 5:36 PM (PDT)

meh, i have a nano 5th gen, its okay to watch videos, but the ipod touch is better, it does suck if you’re a kid who wants a cheaper ipod with video playback thats where the nano excelled at, it was cheaper mp3 player, it came in youthful colours (it stills does) it could play movies, the last gen could make videos (that in itself was interesting, if your kid wanted a ipod and flip camera it was a hell of a deal since the nano went for the same price as a flip SD model) and the price wasnt that bad

Posted by mario83 on September 9, 2010 at 8:08 PM (PDT)

Re: mario83’s comments - exactly. My daughter, we got her a nano last holidays. My $99 refurb 5G nano I bought when my 4G nano died as a hold over for this fall’s touch model, gave it to my younger son. They use the video constantly. The coverflow of the previous nanos is also perfect for younger users who aren’t up to navigating lists of dense text.

Glad I had kids when I did or I’d be stuck having to trust them with a touch, which is both a little more expensive and delicate than they need to messing with, particularly the boy wink

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on September 9, 2010 at 9:03 PM (PDT)

it’s good news that videos still sync, but I was planning to get one and connect to my car stereo with screen.

Does anyone know if it will output video via the 30 pin dock connector

Posted by Ckman9 on September 10, 2010 at 5:38 AM (PDT)

8) The new iPod nano won’t PLAY videos except as sound, and even then only podcasts. I very much doubt it will output video via the dock connector if it can’t play video on its own screen…

Posted by Daniel S. on September 10, 2010 at 5:47 AM (PDT)

they should have just made this the next gen ipod shuffle. fail.

Posted by ipod lover on September 22, 2010 at 1:47 PM (PDT)

Nice info, Now the nano is basically a larger shuffle with a display. If previous generations of nano hadn’t had the video playback, this wouldn’t bother me so much…but it does, since I was actually considering one for a purchase.I actually liked the device till finding that out.

Posted by limesat on October 27, 2010 at 10:53 AM (PDT)

I have the new nano ( the tiny touchy one) and i bought a couple of music videos… but they wont play… The song plays but a PICTURE from the music video showed, but nothing eles. Whats up with it?

Posted by Randi on December 23, 2010 at 2:34 PM (PDT)

iPod that could carry everything plus the kitchen sink = iPod classic
———————————————————————————-
I like that quote.
You funny bastard you!

Posted by Rob on December 30, 2010 at 4:13 AM (PDT)

I have the new nano, and while it depresses me that i cannot view video on it, honestly, i can get past it. It is an easily navigable device, with long lasting battery. The add-on of the clip makes it harder to drop or lose. If i had to choose between the new ipod nano, and the ipod touch, i would choose the nano. While the loss of video, is painful, it also makes it harder to use all of the space with a few small items. In conclusion, if you want to view video, i have to agree with everyone else, get an ipod touch, or iphone, or even the classic ipod.

Posted by Rob W on December 30, 2010 at 4:20 AM (PDT)

I just got the 6G and had to figure that out the hard way. Very upset now.

Posted by taylor on January 4, 2011 at 4:57 PM (PDT)

is it realy play videos….i m hvin it but i tried a lot , the videos were not running . even i was not able to add videos to itunes it ws not adding ... but in ipod its showing option of music videos . is there any specific types of videos which run in tht ipod ???

Posted by PULKIT GUPTA on March 18, 2011 at 9:54 AM (PDT)

Why would anyone want it to play videos. It’s just going to hurt your eyes or give you a headache, the screen is too small.

Posted by TaylorB on May 15, 2011 at 10:45 AM (PDT)

This Ipod isnrt a “Cheap” version to those of you who keep saying that. It costs 169$.
It diassapoints me that this thing cant suport crap.

Posted by Cheyenne on June 13, 2011 at 3:24 PM (PDT)

What are you a teenager?
It’s definetly cheap because you are paying for the BRAND!

Posted by Michelle B on July 6, 2011 at 10:17 PM (PDT)

using an ipod isn’t about the apps and the movies or the picture .

it about the love of the music

Posted by me on December 27, 2011 at 7:16 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >