iPod nano, classic 1.0.2 Updates change video, Cover Flow | iLounge News

iPod nano, classic 1.0.2 Updates change video, Cover Flow

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Saturday, October 6, 2007
News Categories: iPod

image

Apple has released iPod Software 1.0.2 for the iPod classic and third-generation iPod nano, generically noting only that the release contains “bug fixes.” However, changes to both devices’ handling of video-out, Calendar/Contact synchronization, and Cover Flow are apparent in the new software.

The new iPods’ much-disliked TV Out lock has been changed, but not eliminated. Apple’s new implementation enables you to choose from On, Off, or Ask options under Video Settings, but when you go to output video with On or Ask, you are prompted with newly locked second screens to connect an Apple-authorized, authentication chip-equipped accessory in order to start the video playing.

Brief tests with prior Made for iPod video accessories have shown that playback can still be triggered there under unusual, inconvenient circumstances, such as starting playback on an Apple-authorized accessory, then disconnecting it and reconnecting it to an old accessory, but simple, uninterrupted playback on old video accessories is clearly still not supported in the new Software Update. This is unfortunate, as old devices work acceptably once the iPods have been unlocked, demonstrating that the restriction has not been imposed for technical reasons. Pictures of the new screens can be seen by clicking on the headline above or the comments line below.

Additionally, a bug affecting proper Calendar and Contact data synchronization has been fixed. Cover Flow has also been improved, coming closer to the feature’s standard view in iTunes, and doing a somewhat better job with names and album art. The new Software Update can be downloaded through iTunes.

image
image
image
image

« Apple debuts three new iPhone TV ads

iLounge announces Holiday iPod, iPhone nano Concept Contests »

Comments

“... old devices work acceptably once the iPods have been unlocked, demonstrating that the restriction has not been imposed for technical reasons…”

:-O

I’ve got the feeling that Apple didn’t want us to know this.  I’ve always suspected that this was the case and this just proved it.  I wonder how long this update will stay up.

Posted by Matt on October 6, 2007 at 6:05 AM (PDT)

Since I bricked an iPod using a cheap knocked off syncing cable, I’m willing to give Apple a pass here. If these ‘approved’ accessories mean Apple has verified the devices are well designed and manufactured, I don’t mind. It is cheaper than having to replace an iPod.

Posted by davidwb on October 6, 2007 at 6:19 AM (PDT)

David, unfortunately, it doesn’t mean that at all. Virtually all of the past portable and wearable display video accessories we’ve reviewed were “approved” in the “Made for iPod” program, and none of them work any more.

We are very concerned about cheap, dangerous accessories, and have been on the record about that for years - before most people knew they existed. These video accessories were nothing of the sort, and not dangerous in any way.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on October 6, 2007 at 6:26 AM (PDT)

This update work on iPod Video 5G. I am buy this recently, any idea?

Posted by fermdp on October 6, 2007 at 8:32 AM (PDT)

It hasn’t fixed the date being in the American format when the UK time zone is selected.

Additionally despite setting the clock to a normal 24 hour display the screen shows only the old 12 hour format when the screensaver kicks in as songs are played.

Very irritatating.

Posted by markrich on October 6, 2007 at 8:39 AM (PDT)

Brilliant new Classic iPod software update - now my iPod doesn’t work at all!!! Tried resetting, but just keeps switching itself on and off. iTunes doesn’t recognise it when connected now either. Anyone got any suggestions please???

Posted by Phil Jones on October 6, 2007 at 10:12 AM (PDT)

I’ve got a problem also.  Two Classics in my house and the Silver 160 locked up after about the 6th or 7th song in a playlist today.  Was listening to it docked in my Altec Lansing iM7 as I was rebuilding a rock wall outside.  It locked up twice and had to reboot it.  What the #$%?  I currently have my black classic playing in iPod Universal dock and no problems.  I’m considering the a total restore of the Silver model to see if that fixes the issue or if this is a glitch because it was in the Altec Lansing speaker system (which does have an SVideo out port by the way).!  I will be quite Peeved if that is the problem..  I’m listening to music with nothing hooked up to the Svideo.

Posted by gmrunner on October 6, 2007 at 11:00 AM (PDT)

the update killed my ipod Classic . . .

apple store gave me a new one

now new one has same problem

Posted by JMB on October 6, 2007 at 11:49 AM (PDT)

I am curious re this update and the autoeject mechanism.  When I used my old 3G 30GB model the iPod used to autoeject from iTunes when I removed it from the dock and remove it’s icon from the desktop as a mountable drive.  Prior to this update the icon on the desktop would remain but the iPod would autoeject when removed.  Now with 1.02 the iPod will not autoeject and warns that the data on it may be corrupt because I did not eject normally.  Is is required now to eject the iPod before removing it?  Pain in the backside if so.

Posted by markrich on October 6, 2007 at 12:08 PM (PDT)

Well, I intsalled 1.0.2 on my 3rd gen Nano, and I think things are OK, EXCEPT for cover flow.

About 6 or 7 of the 30 or 40 albums I have on my Nano are appearing in cover flow out of alphabetical order.  It makes no sense.  I even have a double CD in which CD1 of the two appears where it should be, but CD2 appears in cover flow at the end.

In regular album view, all appears as it should be - only problem is being seen in cover view.

Oh well…Apple, try it again with v1.0.3…

Posted by RH on October 6, 2007 at 12:21 PM (PDT)

My works better, sounds better and cover flow is QUICK!. PERFECT! 105GB of music loaded inside.

Posted by Nemo on October 6, 2007 at 12:23 PM (PDT)

Thanks for doc’ing your painful experiences. I’m not touching this update. Interesting - my local Apple Store offered to take back my iPod Classic with NO restocking fee when I complained of having to buy new sets of cables for the systems in my house.

Sounds like Apple is starting to get it. I actually looked at the new Zune release this week. Never would have done that if Apple hadn’t screwed up.

Posted by Dave B on October 6, 2007 at 12:35 PM (PDT)

Well, update to my comment on cover flow on my previous comment (10).  My bad…no issue.

Apparently for some reason, those albums that I found to be out of sequence had the “Part of a compilation” box checked (yes) for all files.  I edited their ID3 tags via iTunes and now they all are placed within Cover Flow as they should - alphabetically.

You learn something new every day.

Posted by RH on October 6, 2007 at 12:40 PM (PDT)

Coverflow works better, menus are faster, playcounts and ratings are syncing, and the video output looks 10x better.  WooHoo!

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on October 6, 2007 at 3:20 PM (PDT)

I strongly suspect the change in video has nothing to do with current video, but rather with video that’s coming.

Lots of talk about HD on the way, and I tend to see these video changes to the iPod as proof that Apple is indeed prepping for something along these lines.

Why the change? The providers have very STRICT requirements for outputting HD video, and I suspect a wholesale change was needed to support it. The fact that Apple added component video support was nice, too.

Posted by Tom on October 6, 2007 at 3:58 PM (PDT)

This update didn’t break anything (so far) but it sure didn’t fix my cover problem.  I’m still getting 4 covers for a few albums.  Each cover shows the exact sames songs.

Posted by paula_g on October 6, 2007 at 4:43 PM (PDT)

Paula, not sure if this is the cause of your issue, but I had a few CDs that were trance mixes that had songs by different artists.  Cover flow on the Nano (probably Classic too) indexes by artist.  So if you have an album with songs by different artists, you’ll get multiple covers showing up, one for each separate artist on that one album.

I decided to edit the artist field in the tracks on the ipod all to ‘Various’ and then only gone one single unique album cover listing.  I left the actual artist listed for the file in my iTunes library for later ‘reference’ if need be.

Posted by RH on October 6, 2007 at 5:08 PM (PDT)

Does anyone know if the update fixed the problem with the Belkin FM Tuner?

I bought one the day after I got my nano 3G and you could not change channel on the screen, though the “tune screen” did appear.

Tried the FM Tuner on my frinds 4G video and it worked all just fine.

Have anyone experienced the same as me, or got an sollution?

Posted by Frederik on October 6, 2007 at 5:51 PM (PDT)

My ipod classic 80gig seems a bit peppier and the menus are fast like my old ipod photo. Much nicer so far. Wonders if the people with the issues with this new update are windows users? it seems that us mac users are having no issues. One of my coworkers has the same ipod as i do but is a windows user and he is having issues with his and I am having none with mine.

Posted by Yorick on October 6, 2007 at 6:00 PM (PDT)

no prob with update, but I don’t see much improvement in cover flow.still   its sluggish and slow to load the album art. did anybody tested the so called “fixed issues” in regard to the sync with contacts and calender , never worked for me, cheers

Posted by ivo on October 6, 2007 at 6:22 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >