iPod nano, classic 1.0.2 Updates change video, Cover Flow | iLounge News

iPod nano, classic 1.0.2 Updates change video, Cover Flow

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Saturday, October 6, 2007
News Categories: iPod

image

Apple has released iPod Software 1.0.2 for the iPod classic and third-generation iPod nano, generically noting only that the release contains “bug fixes.” However, changes to both devices’ handling of video-out, Calendar/Contact synchronization, and Cover Flow are apparent in the new software.

The new iPods’ much-disliked TV Out lock has been changed, but not eliminated. Apple’s new implementation enables you to choose from On, Off, or Ask options under Video Settings, but when you go to output video with On or Ask, you are prompted with newly locked second screens to connect an Apple-authorized, authentication chip-equipped accessory in order to start the video playing.

Brief tests with prior Made for iPod video accessories have shown that playback can still be triggered there under unusual, inconvenient circumstances, such as starting playback on an Apple-authorized accessory, then disconnecting it and reconnecting it to an old accessory, but simple, uninterrupted playback on old video accessories is clearly still not supported in the new Software Update. This is unfortunate, as old devices work acceptably once the iPods have been unlocked, demonstrating that the restriction has not been imposed for technical reasons. Pictures of the new screens can be seen by clicking on the headline above or the comments line below.

Additionally, a bug affecting proper Calendar and Contact data synchronization has been fixed. Cover Flow has also been improved, coming closer to the feature’s standard view in iTunes, and doing a somewhat better job with names and album art. The new Software Update can be downloaded through iTunes.

image
image
image
image

« Apple debuts three new iPhone TV ads

iLounge announces Holiday iPod, iPhone nano Concept Contests »

Comments

I’m surprised your article doesn’t mention an important difference in the TV output specs between iPhone/Touch on the one hand, and the new Nanos/Classics on the other hand. Specifically, according to the Apple website, the former output video at 480i/576i, while the latter output 480p/576p.

This difference could easily cause the results you are seeing; while it’s a bit counterintuitive, the better deinterlacing chips in the TVs may be producing better video than the native (presumably) progressive video signal being used by the Nano/Classic.

Unless you turned off the deinterlacing feature of your video display, I’m not sure your comparison is “apples to apples.”

Posted by handyjr on October 6, 2007 at 9:23 PM (PDT)

I now know that the Apple corporation is scum.  I called tech support to complain about the tv out being locked.  The guy there told me that this was a new operating system on the classic and that is why it would not work.  I told him this was not the situation and tried to complain, but he refused to log my complaint.  I now know that he was flat out lying to me about this, because these products work once unlocked.

I have 5 apple computers between my house and music studio.  I will never buy another apple product again.

WOW!  I can’t believe I got through this posting without swearing.

Bring on the hack!

Posted by johnny2chords on October 6, 2007 at 9:38 PM (PDT)

This firmaware actually made my ipod 80gb classic totally useless with my car head unit! Before the update, I was able to at least control my music with the ipod cable that came with the radio on the screen. But now all it says is connecting. I was willing to wait it out to see if apple would listen to the masses and unlock the video or a hack, but now having it TOTALLY useless with my $700 car radio, I am restoring to original and returning today. What really sux is all the time I spent all week installing itunes (which i really didnt like having to have on my computer) and organizing my music collection and album art, etc. Not to mention the cases i bought. Its a real shame because i really liked the ipod. I’ll return it before my 14 days are up and maybe in the future if apple resolves these issues i’ll get another one. In the meantime, i’m going to buy a used 5th gen.

Posted by got_grapes? on October 6, 2007 at 10:06 PM (PDT)

Does anyone know if the update fixed the problem with the Belkin FM Tuner?

I bought one the day after I got my nano 3G and you could not change channel on the screen, though the “tune screen” did appear.

Tried the FM Tuner on my frinds 4G video and it worked all just fine.

Have anyone experienced the same as me, or got an sollution?

Posted by Frederik on October 7, 2007 at 12:46 AM (PDT)

and it still doesn’t adress the compilation issue whereby you can’t hide them from main view!

Posted by 911JOE on October 7, 2007 at 2:58 AM (PDT)

I stand corrected! Coverflow is excellent now, loving it! Not only is the Classic now fast but the compliations issue is addressed and coverflow is a joy to use it truly relflects the view I have in Itunes. So far so (very) good with this update!

Posted by 911JOE on October 7, 2007 at 3:17 AM (PDT)

coverflow very nice after update, greattttttttt

Posted by gonzalo on October 7, 2007 at 4:54 AM (PDT)

Compilations work now - They don’t show up under the “artists” menu, just under the “compilations” menu (you have to enable it first though). Also, instead of every artist on a compilation being represented in coverflow, just the compilation itself is now represented. Awesome, been waiting for this since I bought my classic.

One niggle though - compilations don’t show up under the album artist tag. So, for example, I have a compilation where the album artist is “various artists” - but the Classic doesn’t show that, it shows the name of the first artist on the compilation instead. ie:

instead of:
Various Artists - Buffy The Vampire Slayer
I get
Nurf Hurder - Buffy The Vampire Slayer
(Nurf Herder is the first artist on the compilation)

That can be fixed, no biggie. Thanks Apple smile

Posted by Al on October 7, 2007 at 5:39 AM (PDT)

Thanks RH comments 10 and 13, i had the same problem and now everything it’s allright¡¡

Posted by gonzalo on October 7, 2007 at 6:32 AM (PDT)

No fix for lack of 0 volume?

Posted by Matthew Neitzel on October 7, 2007 at 7:43 AM (PDT)

VERY CRUCIAL UPDATE!!!

it fixed the ihome ipod classic problem so now it works with the ihome!

Posted by Ryan on October 7, 2007 at 9:34 AM (PDT)

Cool stuff. Wow.

Posted by aquashark@gmail.com on October 7, 2007 at 9:53 AM (PDT)

Compilations works, sound is better, snappy interface. I have no issues. I think that if anyone now has an issue with they way their compilations show up, it is beause the wat they are listed, loaded in their iTunes or the way that the CDDB lists them. I don’t think that this s an issue with the classic.  In fact I think this comp issue is a bit woky. Just play yer friggen music!

I love my Pod and have over 30,000 songs now.

Posted by Nemo on October 7, 2007 at 10:23 AM (PDT)

This update wiped my iPod, presenting me with a “This iPod cannot be read. You should do a restore to reset it back to factory settings” after applying the update.

Luckily i backed up my playlists before I applied the update.

There are some improvements in performance, but iTunes STILL locks up for minutes at a time whenever my iPod classic is connected. Kinda frustrating when all you want to do is add about 10 songs to various playlists and iTunes freezes after each second to third selection….

ALSO, what about giving us the option to DISABLE that stupid screensaver? What do I care if it adds 3 minutes to my total play time? I want to be able to SEE the name of the song playing NOT the time, since I’m sure anyone who can afford an iPod can ALSO afford a WATCH!!!

Posted by ahMEmon in Canada on October 7, 2007 at 11:12 AM (PDT)

Hi - does anybody know if this has ‘fixed’ the inability for the Nano to display chapter images within enhanced Podcasts?

Soon as this is fixed I will buy one.

Posted by Paul on October 7, 2007 at 1:07 PM (PDT)

These boards used to be helpful.  They now seem to be a mixture of Zune Heads and Techno Whiners.  Am I seriously supposed to believe that someone is holding off on buying a Nano because it doesn’t “display chapter images within enhanced Podcasts?”  Is this how you make all of your decisions?  Do people seriously sit and stare at their screen while listening to music or podcasts?  Coverflow?  Who cares?  It’s a cute function but this is the root of a buying decision?

Apple has obviuosly spoiled a lot of people who now demand the impossible and complain about what only yesterday was considered to be exceptional.

Posted by JM on October 7, 2007 at 1:20 PM (PDT)

@jm

you can’t be serious.  can you?  first off, i too, have held off on buying (in my case a classic) because of the bugs etc.  so YES there are people who don’t think we should just blindly accept that it doesn’t do something it used to.

and second.  your comment “.. alot of people who now demand the impossible..”

seriously dude, “impossible”?  These are all features that USED to work.  they are far from impossible.

like many have pointed out.  Apple has always prided itself on being the little guy that does it right, and creates simple products that work as they should, without tweaking etc.

this is simply not true anymore.

Posted by crash613 on October 7, 2007 at 1:45 PM (PDT)

Tagging is vitally important, so important in fact that if something doesn’t appear correctly on your iPod, you should suspect your tags as a first action. If you blindly accept the tags you get from CDDB, you’ll run into trouble, as a lot of those contributors are illiterate and make many mistakes. A very common one is the incorrect setting of the Compilation flag. This is only supposed to be used for various-artists compilations. Albums or compilations related to a single artist are not compilations in this sense. I’ve covered this at length on my blog. I suggest you have a read to give you ideas for better tagging.

Posted by Japester on October 7, 2007 at 5:53 PM (PDT)

FIXED MULTIPLE ARTISTS!!!
If a track is part of a compilation, its artist won’t show up anymore under ARTIST - WOHOO!! Loaded 10 compilations, and BOOM had 100 artists before - now back to normal. Of course, I’d have to browse through Compilations.

Fixed Coverflow to have the same issue. Thank you!

I still HATE the fact, that if I click into the artist, and he has one album, it doesn’t show anywhere the ALBUM NAME! Nowhere! Until I select and play the track. Surely this could be easy to fix - use the top menu…

Also, for Compilations… Either display something useful under the comp name, or nothing at all. I think right now it picks the first Artist name and just plops in there. How about Album Artist field? So it will show “Various” -  or I can use that field for a Record Label.

Seriously, who designs, TESTs, and RELEASEs this crap? Has anyone on the dev team actually Listen to music? There are so many annoying little details that can be fixed in two minutes and released! I really can’t fathom this disregard for the end-users from a software company…

Posted by mike on October 7, 2007 at 6:54 PM (PDT)

I have find some problem, since I have updated the New FW to my iPod Classic, the problem is my battery becomes quickly empty.

How could I resolve it?

Posted by toom93 on October 8, 2007 at 6:16 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >