iPod nano, classic 1.0.2 Updates change video, Cover Flow | iLounge News

iPod nano, classic 1.0.2 Updates change video, Cover Flow

image

Apple has released iPod Software 1.0.2 for the iPod classic and third-generation iPod nano, generically noting only that the release contains “bug fixes.” However, changes to both devices’ handling of video-out, Calendar/Contact synchronization, and Cover Flow are apparent in the new software.

The new iPods’ much-disliked TV Out lock has been changed, but not eliminated. Apple’s new implementation enables you to choose from On, Off, or Ask options under Video Settings, but when you go to output video with On or Ask, you are prompted with newly locked second screens to connect an Apple-authorized, authentication chip-equipped accessory in order to start the video playing.

Brief tests with prior Made for iPod video accessories have shown that playback can still be triggered there under unusual, inconvenient circumstances, such as starting playback on an Apple-authorized accessory, then disconnecting it and reconnecting it to an old accessory, but simple, uninterrupted playback on old video accessories is clearly still not supported in the new Software Update. This is unfortunate, as old devices work acceptably once the iPods have been unlocked, demonstrating that the restriction has not been imposed for technical reasons. Pictures of the new screens can be seen by clicking on the headline above or the comments line below.

Additionally, a bug affecting proper Calendar and Contact data synchronization has been fixed. Cover Flow has also been improved, coming closer to the feature’s standard view in iTunes, and doing a somewhat better job with names and album art. The new Software Update can be downloaded through iTunes.

image
image
image
image

« Apple debuts three new iPhone TV ads

iLounge announces Holiday iPod, iPhone nano Concept Contests »

Comments

I am DELIGHTED with the software update. I use my iPod Classic in a Honda with Ilink, and it was previously not working properly with the head unit (track numbers failed to advance, etc.). Now it’s working perfectly. Thank you, Apple.

Posted by SamPod on October 8, 2007 at 8:21 AM (PDT)

Well, this bug with the PODCAST entry in the main menu is still present. Otherwise, it fixed a lot of the bugs. Nice done so far, but I’m still waiting for the 1.0.3.

Additionally, my 80GB classic has a minor bug with the brightness settings:

0% is not off at all, and everything above 30% is the same (namely 100%). Must be a software bug as I checked the display in the iPod-service menu.

Posted by Cookie on October 8, 2007 at 10:44 AM (PDT)

anyone notice their Nike+ system not calibrating or working properly as to distance?

I hope this update fixes it…or else badck to Amazon this 4gb Nano goes….?

Posted by allan michael on October 8, 2007 at 8:12 PM (PDT)

Personally, I wish they would spend more time perfecting what the sole purpose of an ipod was, to be a music player. Who cares if I can play video from my ipod on my tv, that’s what dvd’s are for.

Posted by Kidevil1 on October 9, 2007 at 2:05 PM (PDT)

I care if I can play video on my TV. It’s nice to be able to take my Ipod up to the cabin and have a bunch of different movies to chose from and also be able to use it as a music player. I am very bugged that they locked the TV out option. It’s like buying a VCR and getting it home only to find out that you have to buy a special cable that VCR makers sale in order for it to work. What’s next? Maybe they can make it so I can only listen to music using apple headphones. Or maybe make it so it will only play music or videos purchased on itunes. It’s annoying.

Posted by talleddy on October 10, 2007 at 1:58 PM (PDT)

So far I have found the following bugs/problems still existing;

i) Screensaver shows 12 hour clock when 24 hour clock is selected in settings.

ii) calendar fixed on American format (m/d/y) in extras and on calendar view with Sunday as day 1 instead of day 7 when the timezone is not in the US.

iii) Video playlists.  What on earth are these doing on the iPod?  They don’t exist in iTunes and simply mirror the3 audio playlists.

iv) processor peak on Mac when syncing completes causing beachball to appear for a while.  Not a problem on old 3G 30GB iPod.

Posted by Mark Rich on October 10, 2007 at 2:34 PM (PDT)

“The Apple Inc killed the ipodio star”

Murderers !!

They killed a two week old iPod Classic 80GB and for what, a little teeensy weeensy inplrovement to the way it displays artwork—- WHO CARES ITS IN MY POCKET !!!

I upgraded to 1.0.2 on my nice shiny new two week old iPod classic and now it is as still as a mouse.

Try this, try that I hear you yell—its no good now its DEAD !

Posted by Costa on October 10, 2007 at 5:50 PM (PDT)

Okay here’s something weird.  After I updated my itunes and ipod, 5 or 6 albums went to the back of the cover flow, after Z.  What the hell?  Ive tried deleting, re-ripping, then re-syncing, and still I have a B, D, C, and U artist that now are sitting at the back of my cover flow list.  Anyone have this problem?

Posted by Brando on October 11, 2007 at 9:34 PM (PDT)

I have the same problem as comments 10 & 48. Will this be fixed in the next update?

Posted by Robert on October 12, 2007 at 6:18 AM (PDT)

There is also a problem with albums re-syncing to my ipod nano that are already on it.

Posted by Robert on October 12, 2007 at 7:47 AM (PDT)

Finally Brando…  someone as observant as me (ref post 48).  Yes, it sucks to have your album 1 and album 2 of an artist strewn about the Cover Flow!  And when you wire your ipod into the head-unit of your car, finding the album you want is even harder messing with the radio dials.  Who’s programming these updates!  Ever hear of SORT! or is that how they got the cover flow to react faster…  Pseuto Sort!  Grrrrr!
How do I go back to 1.0.1?

Posted by Simple.Nature on October 13, 2007 at 1:23 AM (PDT)

Seems odd to be answering my own questions on the forum especially for a nubee but here goes:

Seems the new update (1.0.2) has incorporated the “Compilations” flag and for some reason, this affects the sort of the Album Flow by placing Compilations-tagged albums on the end of the Album Flow sort.

Who at Apple decided that Compilations should be part of an Artist/Album sort anyway?

I had 5 albums tag themselves as Compilations during the iTunes upload from CD.  Each album was placed in a “Compilations” folder (PC!) with the album name’d folder only (no artist!).  Simply untagging the Compilation field will not correct this in iTunes.  You have a little more work to do than that.

In your PC’s folder where you have the iTunes songs go, make sure you have the artists folder available.  Then drag the album folder from the “Compilations” folder to the correct artist folder (that’s the easy part).  Now you need to get into iTunes again.  Once you let your iPod sync, you will see “!” next to the songs that can no longer be found (iTunes to PC sync).  Now you have to re-sync iTunes with your files CAREFULLY one at a time.  You can also uncheck the “Compilation” tag in iTunes now.

Took me about an hour to re-sort 5 albums.  I don’t know what the proper use for compilations “really” is but obviously I’m not the only one.  I had David Arkenstone Visionary, Album 1 and Album 2 both tagged as compilations… and Kitaro only album 2 was tagged…  and The Doors ?!?  Steel Pulse?  And why doesn’t iTunes have a field for the compilations tag in their lists???  ...it has every other @#$Úng thing available in the spreadsheet!

Oh well, could have been worse but mystery solved.  My favorite and most valuable sort has been restored and it only took me a week of frustration to figure it out.  BTW, I figured it out by turning on Compilations in my Music Menu and noted that those were the albums that were out-of-sorts smile

And no need to answer my other open question…  what happens to my pre-installed games on a restore of my Classic 80Gig?!?  No one has answered that yet.  And I still cannot find a way to back up those games that are on the pod.  Seems someone traveled this path by now… NOT?

Posted by Simple.Nature on October 16, 2007 at 9:56 PM (PDT)

This firmware upgrade killed my iPod! Avoid at all cost!

Posted by Dead iPod on November 2, 2007 at 11:46 PM (PDT)

I have been through two 3rd gen Nanos. As someone stated earlier they werent recognized by itunes and kept shutting themselves off once connected to the computer. The second time it happened right after I updated to 1.0.2. After going through tech support both times i returned them to costco. I bought a classic instead and will not update the software. Apple is 0 and 2 so far. My wifes hasnt had that problem yet. Why do they lock up and destroy themselves when you do recommended upgrades?? Nice! Maybe should have bought a Zune.

Posted by Todd Zolkosky on November 3, 2007 at 6:36 AM (PDT)

Mark Rich, video playlists DO exist in iTunes.  You set them up the same way you set up a music playlist and the iPod simply reads it as a video playlist because videos comprise the playlist.  I use it when I have ripped a DVD as chapters so that that I do not have to keep going back out to the menu to play the next section of my DVD.

That help?

Posted by Robert K. on November 3, 2007 at 9:12 PM (PDT)

Does this fix help the new 160GB iPod Classic to work in conjunction with the:

Sonic Impact Video 55 Portable iPod Speaker System with LCD Screen and Remote

Posted by Dan on November 8, 2007 at 1:22 PM (PDT)

no it doesnt. im running 1.0.3 and cant for the life of me to get it to work with my Video 55. Im getting majorly frustrated. Im hoping that either apple will realized that none of us like the video format change and put it back to the way it was or someone will make a player similar to the V55 before my 90 return runs out at costco.

just curious, would it be that difficult for them to give us the option of using the old output or the new? or do the two not jive?

Posted by gerbilfluff on December 28, 2007 at 4:37 PM (PDT)

oh, i should mention that the audio works just fine between my V55 and 80gb classic, but video out to the screen is a no-go.

Posted by gerbilfluff on December 28, 2007 at 4:39 PM (PDT)

my i-pod classic will play in my truck with my i-pod wire and play on my tv but i have 3 little girls and i such got all of them a i-pod nano they have all there kids movies on them and thata the 16 GB all of them and why want any of the 3 i-pod nano play in my truck are on my tv my little girls like to watch kids movies on a trap out of town are there videos and i pad alot of money for all 3 and cannot use them most of the time because of this thats not right

Posted by phillip on May 1, 2009 at 3:05 PM (PDT)

i keep trying to update my ipod nano with version 1.0.2 but it doesnt..an error keeps on coming

Posted by sajan on December 4, 2009 at 6:16 AM (PDT)

Page 3 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3