iPod nano, classic 1.0.3 updates add video OSD, settings | iLounge News

iPod nano, classic 1.0.3 updates add video OSD, settings

image

Apple’s most recent software update for the iPod nano and iPod classic, version 1.0.3, has surreptitiously added additional features to the devices’ TV out functionality. Once the software has been installed, the four-option Video Settings menu becomes a five-option list, with prior option Fullscreen On/Off being replaced by TV Screen Standard/Widescreen and Fit to Screen On/Off. The new features are intended to help the iPods output TV-ready video that is properly formatted for the type of display that’s connected, however, your results may vary depending on your TV and its settings.

Once the video is playing, version 1.0.3 restores a feature found in fifth-generation iPods but heretofore not in the iPod classic and iPod nano: an on-screen display (OSD) of your current location in the movie’s timeline, along with a pause indicator. These displays look different and a little more like iTunes’ own video playback scrubber than before; they are accompanied by a battery indicator. Larger images of the new menus and OSD can be found by clicking on the article’s title above, or the pictures and comments link below. The 1.0.3 iPod classic and iPod nano software can be downloaded using the Check for Update feature of iTunes. [Thanks, Lauren!]

image
image
image
image
image

« Blue Raven offers “Service in a Box” iPod, iPhone repair

iPhone facing challenges abroad »

Comments

Any idea what happened with the small battery that appears in the iTunes????

Posted by paKiviRit'z! on December 1, 2007 at 4:28 PM (PDT)

It should still be there.  It shows up in mine.

Lauren

Posted by Lauren Glenn on December 1, 2007 at 5:54 PM (PDT)

How exactly would you go about getting captions in a video…

Posted by drumthrasher109 on December 1, 2007 at 6:40 PM (PDT)

The battery icon is still there for me as well.

The video captions only show up if the video has been encoded with them.  Although I expect there are (or will be) some videos on the iTunes Store that have captioning included, I’m not aware of any tools that specifically encode compatible captions into iTunes videos as of yet.

A few other points we’ve discovered about this update:

TV shows are now sorted from oldest to newest on the iPod (previously, the oldest episode would be listed at the bottom, now it’s at the top).

A v1.0.2 bug with displaying artwork when using the TV output now appears to have been fixed.  In v1.0.2, playing back a TV show via the video-out would display blank artwork.  In v1.0.3 the artwork once again appears properly (this bug may not have effected everybody, but it was definitely readily apparent on both my nano and classic with several different tracks—both purchased and self-created).

No big surprise, but the loopholes for video playback have been at least partially closed—In the very least I know that the Nike+ kit no longer works, nor does the FM/Radio remote on either the classic or the nano.  The Belkin TuneTalk Stereo voice recorder does still trigger the video output, however.  With the obvious exception of the Nike+ sport kit on the classic, these accessories all triggered video output on v1.0.2, but do not on v1.0.3.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on December 1, 2007 at 6:55 PM (PDT)

I have spent time recording and tagging all of my tv shows with the help of Doug’s Applescripts to make sure that all episodes and seasons show up with the correct names with correct episode and season numbers and they all seem to show up correctly in iTunes.

Now, since the 1.03 update, they all either show up in reverse order, or they are all OUT of order. What the HELL….?

I dont understand what Apple is doing with these updates. Are they more interested in locking down iPods while giving us minor aesthetic enhancements without actually correcting functional and organizational problems?? Why the disconnect between what is displayed in iTunes and what is displayed on the iPod itself?

I am SOOO regretting giving up my 5.5G….

Posted by ahMEmon in Canada on December 1, 2007 at 7:44 PM (PDT)

Did you check to see if they show up in the same order they do in iTunes?  The music does the same thing.  If you sort by Rating in iTunes, your music will show up that way in all your albums.

Basically, try sorting your TV shows in iTunes by name or by episode number, sync, and then see if it’s fixed.

Posted by Lauren Glenn on December 1, 2007 at 8:37 PM (PDT)

Did this update solve the battery drain issue which many many people have reported.

Posted by emonty on December 2, 2007 at 2:08 AM (PDT)

Perhaps this is further evidence that HD content is coming to the iTunes Store.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on December 2, 2007 at 7:11 AM (PDT)

@ahMEmon:

The pre-defined sort order for TV show episodes is by release date (ie, air date), which may not be in the show information unless you’ve specifically entered it.  In the previous firmware, this was done in descending order (ie, newest first)—this update simply reverses that order.

Unfortunately, for this to work, your shows must have the release date embedded within them.  Most shows purchased from the iTunes Store have this information already embedded in them, but if you rip your own content, you have to add this information yourself using a third-party tagging application such as Lostify or TV Tagger—there’s no way to add this information via iTunes.

I haven’t yet figured out exactly what the sort order is for items without a release date—I suspect it’s simply by the date they were added to the iTunes library.

@Lauren:

Unfortunately, only the sort order of playlists in iTunes transfers to the iPod.  Sorting on the iPod anywhere else is done on fixed fields, likely to avoid the confusion that would otherwise ensue from people constantly changing the sort order while browsing their library and then having that sync to their iPod.  For movies, that sort order is alphabetical, for TV Shows, it’s alphabetical by show, numerical by season, and then chronological (based on release date) by episode.  For podcasts it’s alphabetical by podcast series, and then chronological by podcast episode.  For music it’s alphabetical by artist and album, and then either numerical by track number, or alphabetical by track name in the absence of track numbers.

If you create a playlist of your TV Shows, you will be able to sort them in any order you choose, but the sort order in the main Videos->TV Shows menu is fixed.

@emonty:

The battery drain issue appears to have been solved based on preliminary reports, but since none of our iPod classic units were exhibiting this problem, we can’t really say for certain.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on December 2, 2007 at 8:17 AM (PDT)

in my 160gb classic the battery drain issue has been solved, the clickwheel is more sensitive and everything is faster.

Posted by gonzalo on December 2, 2007 at 9:50 AM (PDT)

@ Jesse David Hollington;

What was wrong with the methods used by the 5.5G iPods? Why in the hell did Apple have to change it? (Rhetorical) That worked well enough!

Posted by ahMEmon in Canada on December 2, 2007 at 12:12 PM (PDT)

To continue:
I record my OWN shows, so the air dates ARE embedded in the files, but the iPod wont recognize them…..

Posted by ahMEmon in Canada on December 2, 2007 at 12:15 PM (PDT)

The new update also makes it take longer for the iPod to shut off.

It used to take like a split second and now it takes about two seconds to shut off.

Anyone else notice this???

Posted by Bottger on December 2, 2007 at 3:42 PM (PDT)

I’ve noticed the sceen of my Classic 160GB now stays on indefinetely when docked on my Apple Hifi. This was not so before and it irritated me.

Posted by Nino Correa on December 2, 2007 at 8:25 PM (PDT)

My Nike+Ipod kit still works with my 3G nano with 1.0.3.  As a matter of fact, they fixed the display of mileage while exercising.  I wish they would bring back the current time while exercising.

Posted by Brian on December 2, 2007 at 8:35 PM (PDT)

After this update to my nano, I can’t get music to play when displaying my photos in a slideshow.  Anyone else have this problem too?

Posted by JennM on December 2, 2007 at 11:01 PM (PDT)

Does this update the random second pausing that happen every 20 songs or so? Its very annoying when your Classic just freezes mid song then continues spoiling the flow of music.

Posted by XRayLexx on December 3, 2007 at 12:26 AM (PDT)

I noticed that the random freeze issue was introduced in 1.0.2 and I also find it very annoying. I haven’t used it enough to verify whether it has been fixed or not but I hope so.

Posted by Edmp on December 3, 2007 at 7:09 AM (PDT)

I dont see too much diff on the movies…....I see something called compilations for the music, thats new…..the click wheel seems more sensitive,more responsive…..other than that I dont see anything else..

Posted by E Double on December 3, 2007 at 12:12 PM (PDT)

What can I do about my shows being in reverse order?

I’ve spent many hours organizing them and making sure that all of the Seasons & Episodes are clearly and correctly labelled.

What can I do?

(I am running a PC.)

Posted by Dan on December 3, 2007 at 3:12 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >