iPod nano, classic 1.0.3 updates add video OSD, settings | iLounge News

iPod nano, classic 1.0.3 updates add video OSD, settings

image

Apple’s most recent software update for the iPod nano and iPod classic, version 1.0.3, has surreptitiously added additional features to the devices’ TV out functionality. Once the software has been installed, the four-option Video Settings menu becomes a five-option list, with prior option Fullscreen On/Off being replaced by TV Screen Standard/Widescreen and Fit to Screen On/Off. The new features are intended to help the iPods output TV-ready video that is properly formatted for the type of display that’s connected, however, your results may vary depending on your TV and its settings.

Once the video is playing, version 1.0.3 restores a feature found in fifth-generation iPods but heretofore not in the iPod classic and iPod nano: an on-screen display (OSD) of your current location in the movie’s timeline, along with a pause indicator. These displays look different and a little more like iTunes’ own video playback scrubber than before; they are accompanied by a battery indicator. Larger images of the new menus and OSD can be found by clicking on the article’s title above, or the pictures and comments link below. The 1.0.3 iPod classic and iPod nano software can be downloaded using the Check for Update feature of iTunes. [Thanks, Lauren!]

image
image
image
image
image

« Blue Raven offers “Service in a Box” iPod, iPhone repair

iPhone facing challenges abroad »

Comments

My Nike+ is still working perfectly, with the bonus of the miles now being shown AS miles, rather than as km as they were before, as Brian mentions above.

And something that is making me very happy—they finally fixed the Calendar word wrap problem! I like to d/l my training plans from TrainingPeaks.com to Outlook, and then import them into my Nano’s calendar, so I always know how far I need to run on any day. Prior to the latest update, the non-functioning word wrap screwed that. It works perfectly now, and I am ecstatic about it.

Posted by Valentia on December 3, 2007 at 5:29 PM (PDT)

I’ve also noticed that when the iPod is disconnected, there is now a status bar on its screen that shows how long until it’s ready to use.

Posted by Dave on December 4, 2007 at 5:01 AM (PDT)

Is it me, or did the upgrade to 1.0.3 make the nano sound better? I absolutely hated the way my wife’s 3G sounded straight out of the box, but now it actually has decent audio quality. Still not what I consider great, but it’s a lot better than before.

Posted by flatline response on December 4, 2007 at 6:17 AM (PDT)

Update:
Got my nano slideshow+music to work again after update 1.0.3.  Had to do a full restore to fix it.  No worries.

Posted by JennM on December 4, 2007 at 4:24 PM (PDT)

re: quirky calendar and notes behavior w/update 1.0.3

After realizing this morning that my notes and calendar were “gone” I briefly freaked, then did a hard reset (hold switch on/off, then press menu and center button down until Nano resets). Following that, everything was perfect again, and has remained so. (So far, so good, anyway.) Apparently, this is an issue a number of people are dealing with, as there are several posts concerning it on the apple boards.

As for photos, I was showing thumbnails, but no full-size pix. I’m a manual sync-er and don’t resync photos unless I want other than my usual 4 pix I keep on there. I did manually resync, and then the full-size pix were fine again. (If you sync automatically, you may not even realize there was a prob.)

Posted by Valentia on December 4, 2007 at 4:58 PM (PDT)

The v1.0.3 firmware has also returned support for the Apple iPod HiFi.  A “Speakers” menu now appears when connecting either a classic or a nano to the iPod HiFi system, allowing for tone control and backlight control.

@Nino Correa: You can adjust the iPod backlight settings when connected to the iPod HiFi under the “Speakers” menu option that should appear on the main menu when you’re connected to the iPod HiFi.  If this menu does not appear, ensure that it is enabled under Settings, Main Menu.  See this week’s Ask iLounge column for more specific information.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on December 7, 2007 at 8:30 AM (PDT)

Can someone tell me if the iPod Classic ver. 1.0.3 update fixes the TV Out setting such that it will work like the older iPod 5G models?

I have the original OS still installed on my 160 GB iPod Classic, and am using it with a Philips DCP850 iPOD/DVD player.  This works fine, except that I must first put my iPod into Apple dock, change the TV Out setting to ‘ON’, start the movie I want to watch, and then insert my iPod into my Philips iPod DVD player.

Posted by Sharon on December 14, 2007 at 12:19 AM (PDT)

Nope. Apple doesn’t seem to care about fixing that particular problem.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on December 14, 2007 at 11:41 AM (PDT)

I have the 5 gen version 1.2.3.  I also have the new nano 1.0.3.  Can I get the same interface on the nano on the 5 gen?  I like it much better and have been looking all over on how to get it.  Please help

Posted by Wanda on December 25, 2007 at 9:18 AM (PDT)

how can i delete my full name off my 1st comment..bobo!!!

Posted by gilbert92324 on December 26, 2007 at 10:57 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2