iPod nano screen complaints abound | iLounge News

iPod nano screen complaints abound

Apple’s iPod nano may be receiving rave reviews, but a slew of nano owners are complaining about the device’s screen getting scratched too easily. Apple’s support forum contains several hundred postings discussing the flaw, with some claiming that their nano’s screen is unreadable because of the scratches. The majority of nano owners made it clear that the device was not treated badly and said pockets, fingernails and soft cloths all caused extreme scuffing.

“I don’t really care if the case on my Nano gets scratched but my screen has scratched up so badly that all the images are starting to become distorted,” one nano owner wrote. “I have only carried it in my small pocket in my shorts and nothing is in there to scratch it. I still can’t figure how the screen looks like it has been rubbed with sandpaper when the entire time it has been safe in my pocket (with absolutely no items).”

Meanwhile, one dissatisfied nano owner has set up FlawedMusicPlayer.com (formerly iPodNanoFlaw.com) to chronicle what he calls an “Apple design flaw” with the nano screen. The person said the screen on his nano unexpectedly cracked after carrying it in his pocket for a short time. He said the player was not subjected to any abuse.

“The iPod Nano is not really to be used. It is way too fragile,” he writes on the site. “Apple markets it in a pocket. Hell, Steve Jobs himself pulls it out of his when he announces it. My Nano broke on day 4. The screen that is. It shattered. It was in my pocket as I was walking and I sat down. No, I didn’t sit on it, it was just in my pocket just as all iPod’s before it have done, and my cell phone, which also has a screen on the outside, does. This is what they were meant to do. That’s why they make them pocket size.”

In what can be considered more than just a coincidence, several iLoungers report that iPodResQ has raised the price of its iPod nano LCD screen replacement service from $99 to $145. “We are experiencing a temporary price increase on the nano LCD repair due to LCD availability and overwhelming demand,” the company states on its website.

« Motorola CEO: ‘Screw the nano’

iLounge Around the World: Akihabara, Tokyo, Japan »

Comments

As far as the scratches go. Look,we all know ipod screens scratch easily. I’ve never had to proect a screen on any mp3 player the way I do on an ipod. Most users know this but still whine when it gets scratched. They make thin micro sheets of plastic used to protect screens for cells,PDA’s,gameboys…you name it. They come 12-15 to a pack and can cost $5 to $20 depending on store and name brand. BUY SOME!

Why wait 3 months for a case? Go to Best Buy and buy a package. One package of 12 will last you your next 10 ipods. I’ve used them since I got my 3G and put one on as soon as I took the plastic off my nano.

It is such a simple and affordable solution yet people dont follow through. It would be nice if Apple included a screen sheet or better yet made the screens more durable. I used a Samsung cell w/o any pritection for almost 2years and never got one scratch. And the Zen micro I used for 2 weeks didnt need any covering either. But for whatever reason Apple uses a very fragile plastic. The only thing I’ve seen scratch worse then a ipod is a gameboy advance…probably why they now sell clear screen covers as soon as a new GB is released.

Posted by Homescoop on September 26, 2005 at 2:15 AM (CDT)

It even made the Inquirer.

Posted by Henry on September 26, 2005 at 2:23 AM (CDT)

You can’t expect something so thin to not flex when you have it in your pants pocket and sit down. Seriously. You just can’t expect it not to flex.

Be smart when you use your Nano. Buy a screen protector just like homescoop said. Put the nano in your big pocket where it wont flex. The small pocket of your jeans will flex with your torso most times and guess what? That LCD is made of fragile glass like plastic and will CRACK when flexed. Yep. Physics baby.

I have a black nano and knew it would get scratched up eventually but heck its small, light and color! I can deal with the scratches with my buffer and some light swirlmark remover.

Bottom line: use your brain when you carry your nano. It’s impossibly small, not indestructable.

Posted by Nano owner on September 26, 2005 at 7:17 AM (CDT)

I get the impression from what I’ve read that the Nano is scratch-prone and fragile even compared to full-sized iPods, which we all know are somewhat prone to being damaged easily.

The thing is, the diskless Nano is aimed at people who don’t want to buy a hard-drive based player due to the percieved fragility of mechanical storage devides.

Ironic that the player should be so fragile then.

Seems to me like a serious design flaw, and I honestly can’t believe that the majority of comments thus far have been defending a product that is now quite obviously fundmentally flawed.  As much as I love my 60 gig iPod I would not defend other models’ failings just because they are iPods

Posted by phennphawcks on September 26, 2005 at 7:41 AM (CDT)

glad not to be apple’s guinea pig this time.

i was a guinea pig with their “whisper” quiet imac g5 and not happy about it..well until they replaced it with the new revision model..

will keep holding on to my money but still contemplating on getting the mobiBLU DAH-1500i.

Posted by iJay on September 26, 2005 at 7:46 AM (CDT)

This is a big deal.  Apple needs to move fast on this before they have to settle out of court again.  They owe it to their shareholders.

Also fix smartplaylists live updating on the iPod.

Posted by horizontal.integration on September 26, 2005 at 8:08 AM (CDT)

The entire front casing of the Nano is about as durable as Ivory soap. Mine has scratches all over it and I have NOT abused it. I also own some comptetive products (iRiver, SONY, Creative—what can I say, I like gadgets) and their screens do NOT scratch so easily. As a matter of fact, my iRiver H10 still does not have any blemishes at all on the screen, or anywhere, and I’ve had it for a while (w/o screen protection at that!) Apple makes their products scratch-worthy so that a whole industry of case/accessory manufacturers can make a buck as well. Otherwise, why would they not fix it. The other thing that suprises me is how iPod owners rationsalize this problem away. Like others, I love my iPod and have gone to lengths to protect it and minimize the damage to a point where it’s not annoying. The Nano issue takes the cake.

Also, the PDA protector method works fairly well on the regular iPods, but not so great on the Nano. I’ve tried it, it’s workable but the edges do not form all that great of a “seal,” if you know what I mean.

Posted by Mark on September 26, 2005 at 8:42 AM (CDT)

Yes, this is a big deal. It sounds like cheap junk. Very poor show, Apple.

Posted by andrewthomas10 on September 26, 2005 at 8:45 AM (CDT)

i love my nano, but yesterday i put it in my backpack with a few tissues and a some paperwork and my screen got scratched, how i have no idea, i hope they come up with a warrantee for screen replacement!

Posted by khyberny on September 26, 2005 at 9:33 AM (CDT)

im not that suprised im still planning on getting one today.

Posted by daniel on September 26, 2005 at 9:41 AM (CDT)

I think mark was on to something about apple.

I think the iPod is designed to be easily scratched.  That way the iPod is a high maintenance item.  Like a pet.  You have to buy protectors and cases and docks and other crap. It makes people have a connection with the iPod like a pet or a child that you have to take care of.

I personally hate it.  I love my 20GB iPod.. but even the metal back has scratches due to carrying in my pocket!!?? Plus if apple ever gets too much heat about the delicate fragile iPod .. they get to release a new more durable one.  Then everyone buys that one.

I also wonder about arstechnica’s review.. they freaking ran over it with a car, twice before they ever showed any screen damage.  Check it out at http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/nano.ars

Posted by 1tru7h on September 26, 2005 at 10:30 AM (CDT)

You people are quite silly. The notion that Apple will warrant the scratching of the screen is silly and without precedent. In addition I REJECT that “ooops, I had my nano in my pocket and the LCD suddenly shattered!” The nano is quite small and whether they realize it or not they are breaking the screens. I have had five iPods over the years—only my original 5gb model was scratched—due to my use. After that I has a case in hand before removing them from the box. Grow up! If you don’t want a scratched iPod, get a Dell DJ and see how you like it!!!!!

Posted by BKP on September 26, 2005 at 10:53 AM (CDT)

RainyDayMagazine had an article out a few days after we got iPod nano on how to protect it…

We think a screen protector is a MUST DO… especially for a black nano.

Posted by RainyDayMagazine on September 26, 2005 at 11:01 AM (CDT)

I don’t think the Nano scratches any easier than a full size ipod, but since the screen is so much smaller(font too) the scratches obstruct viewing more. I have one of each model, and There isn’t anything else on the market even close to the ipod’s designs. They do exactly what they are made to and they do it better than anything else. it’s not jewelry, it’s a music player! put a little clear tape over the screen, if you’re concerned about scratches

Posted by kuta on September 26, 2005 at 11:02 AM (CDT)

Listen to some of these complaints. They are putting the nano into a jeans pocket or backpack “with nothing else”, and it comes out scratched. Hello…those materials alone are very rough, and it is not surprising that they will scratch an ipod.  Most jeans I get have some grit in the pockets from pre-washing. I imagine that a backpack pouch is not exactly free of crumbs and grit either.

Posted by Ryan Gray on September 26, 2005 at 11:15 AM (CDT)

Here’s the sterotypical person who makes these types of complaints:

1) They are used to abusing their “free” phone from Virgin Mobile and don’t understand why an iPod can’t take a similiar beating.

2) Have no problem spending $250 on a music player, then are too cheap to spend another $20-$30 to protect it.

3) Don’t understand that expensive and unbreakable are not the same thing.  A Kia Rio breaks just like a Volvo if you’re careless.  The differeence is that most Volvo owners realize just because they drive what is supposed to be a safer care doesn’t give them the right to drive it into a brick wall, then blame Volvo.

Posted by bobby on September 26, 2005 at 11:36 AM (CDT)

get over it. its a music player. do the scratches affect sound quality? do they prevent you from using the nano?

Posted by el duderino on September 26, 2005 at 11:39 AM (CDT)

As soon as the nano was released I thought it was a step backward in terms or durability. The mini just seemed more solid. My 40gig has always been in some kind of case but it looks like it lost a fight to a piece of sandpaper.

Posted by cococo on September 26, 2005 at 11:51 AM (CDT)

Hopefully it isn’t as bad as these people are making it out to be.  I have 60GB iPod that I never keep in a case and use it all the time.  Its not that I’m too cheap to buy a case, its that I think the iPod looks best without the case.  My iPod has some scratches, but that’s life.

Posted by Ben on September 26, 2005 at 12:01 PM (CDT)

no no no, i have the regular 20G ipod photo and treat it exactly the same way with minimal scratches, i can live with that, but the black nano just shows these scratches and looks really awful, you have to see it to believe it, i love my nano and treat it like gold but something is wrong here

Posted by khyberny on September 26, 2005 at 12:08 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›