iPod nano screen complaints abound | iLounge News

iPod nano screen complaints abound

Apple’s iPod nano may be receiving rave reviews, but a slew of nano owners are complaining about the device’s screen getting scratched too easily. Apple’s support forum contains several hundred postings discussing the flaw, with some claiming that their nano’s screen is unreadable because of the scratches. The majority of nano owners made it clear that the device was not treated badly and said pockets, fingernails and soft cloths all caused extreme scuffing.

“I don’t really care if the case on my Nano gets scratched but my screen has scratched up so badly that all the images are starting to become distorted,” one nano owner wrote. “I have only carried it in my small pocket in my shorts and nothing is in there to scratch it. I still can’t figure how the screen looks like it has been rubbed with sandpaper when the entire time it has been safe in my pocket (with absolutely no items).”

Meanwhile, one dissatisfied nano owner has set up FlawedMusicPlayer.com (formerly iPodNanoFlaw.com) to chronicle what he calls an “Apple design flaw” with the nano screen. The person said the screen on his nano unexpectedly cracked after carrying it in his pocket for a short time. He said the player was not subjected to any abuse.

“The iPod Nano is not really to be used. It is way too fragile,” he writes on the site. “Apple markets it in a pocket. Hell, Steve Jobs himself pulls it out of his when he announces it. My Nano broke on day 4. The screen that is. It shattered. It was in my pocket as I was walking and I sat down. No, I didn’t sit on it, it was just in my pocket just as all iPod’s before it have done, and my cell phone, which also has a screen on the outside, does. This is what they were meant to do. That’s why they make them pocket size.”

In what can be considered more than just a coincidence, several iLoungers report that iPodResQ has raised the price of its iPod nano LCD screen replacement service from $99 to $145. “We are experiencing a temporary price increase on the nano LCD repair due to LCD availability and overwhelming demand,” the company states on its website.

« Motorola CEO: ‘Screw the nano’

iLounge Around the World: Akihabara, Tokyo, Japan »

Comments

try and block my ### ipodlounge you can’t
you’re done for ... i sniff gold paint… i want to run wild with the Mustangs… EEEYYH YA YA EEHHHA.  you know what its like when they take that away… i need gold paint.

Posted by Gold Paint boy on September 26, 2005 at 7:48 PM (PDT)

Do us all a favor Jeremy and do a real world test and post it complete with photos on this site.  Show us pictures of a nano after placing it in your pocket one time so we can see the “damage” that it does or (more likely) doesn’t actually do.  We know we can trust iLounge to settle this honestly once and for all.  This has gone on long enough and some real proof is needed to either prove or disprove these claims once and for all.

Posted by LanceTX on September 26, 2005 at 8:18 PM (PDT)

Endless debate over whether someone has sand paper lined pockets or not doesn’t alter the fact that the device DOES scratch a lot more easily than many other similar consumer electronics.

Posted by kura on September 26, 2005 at 9:26 PM (PDT)

SPThom:

1) My glasses have an anti-scratch coating
2) My mobile phone goes into my pocket and has survived without any noticeable scratching after almost a year
3) The iPod nano is designed to go into your pocket so the fact it scratches so very easily is a big oversight
4) The all-black PSP I’ve owned for a couple of weeks shows no evidence whatsoever of scratching.  Fingerprints all over it?  Sure, they show up like crazy.  But you can wipe those off! Just because black shows scratches easily doesn’t isn’t an excuse for releasing a black product with no scratch resistance.

Posted by phennphawcks on September 27, 2005 at 1:55 AM (PDT)

yeah ! and don’t forget the sucky battery ! Sue! Sue!

Posted by Karl Hungus on September 27, 2005 at 3:53 AM (PDT)

Well, whatever side of the argument you’re on, there’s a new site where people can post pictures of their scratched Nano. Give it a look. http://www.nanoscratch.com

Posted by Jason McMcmahon on September 27, 2005 at 5:17 AM (PDT)

I would imagine it must be the metal fastener button embedded in jeans pockets; one side might have a bump or a gritty edge that comes in contact with the nano?

Posted by newmac on September 27, 2005 at 5:31 AM (PDT)

Just checked out the http://www.nanoscratch.com website.

How lame and misleading!

They’ve got 3 scratch pictures: one is blurry and you can’t really see anything, 1 shows circular microscratches which are often invisible in normal lighting (and how did it get CIRCULAR scratches…not from being pulled from a jean’s pocket), and one shows the ars technica ipod…which IS terribly scratched because ars was ***throwing it out of car windows to test the nano’s durability *** (see the ars site for the complete report on the nano’s great durability too)

These folks are not doing a good job of presenting those affected by scratches as being very honest about the issue. Especially showing ars’ pod as an example of scratching…Shame on them!  (BTW: I’m sure there ARE some who have legitimate scratches…)

Tom

Posted by Thomas Affinito on September 27, 2005 at 6:54 AM (PDT)

Wow, that picture on the nanoscratch website!  It looked horrible.

Ok, so I’m thinking if I’m going to buy the nano I’d better have protection right off the bat.

I get the picture, but it seems that a little “truth in advertising” would be in order from Apple.  If they show the nano being flipped and rocked in the pocket it shouldn’t look that bad if a consumer does that in the “real world”.

Posted by iggystar on September 27, 2005 at 7:27 AM (PDT)

A consumer electronics device should not noticably scratch just by putting it in a cotton pocket. Apple got it right with the mini, I’ve had mine for 2 years and it still looks brand new without a single scratch on the display. But the nanos I saw at the Apple store after being out for only 3 DAYS looks like they had sandpaper taken to them. The Apple defenders are wrong here. The nano is too susceptible to scratches. Period. Apple dropped the ball big time. Where was the quality control testing?

Posted by kidh on September 27, 2005 at 11:43 AM (PDT)

Yeah the demo models in the store looked badly beaten up. Severe scratching on the screens.

I’ve treated mine with extreme care but it still has fine scatches on the black polycarbonate surface.

What does get rid of the scratches though, on the screen and on the surface is a product called “Displex” (purchased in UK). This is specifically designed to remove scratching from mobile phone screens. It now works on Nano’s! I now urgently await a decent Nano case. Shame cases never went on sale at the same time Nano’s did. Apple preferred the element of product “surprise” over support.

Posted by kvee on September 27, 2005 at 12:17 PM (PDT)

For all you people who think that the people who complain about their nanos are a bunch or whiny crybabies:

Which other iPod model had this many complaints?

Do you think they’re onto something? Or is it just a figment of their collective imaginations?

Posted by ahMEmon on September 27, 2005 at 1:11 PM (PDT)

I think some people are confusing the scratched screen with the “bent” or broken screen. It looks like the nano is prone to both. I´ve had a 3G and a 30G Photo and they have also scratched a little bit, but hope that my wifes new Nano won´t break. I think that the flawedmusicplayer.com website is referring not to the scratches but to the broken displays, and thats why some people don´t get it and are critizising the complaints.

Posted by JC on September 27, 2005 at 4:24 PM (PDT)

No, they’re criticizing the complaints because 99.9% of them are highly dubious.  The screen wouldn’t have damage like that unless you put excessive force directly on the LCD.  Phil Schiller said himself today that this issue effects less than 0.1% of the nanos shipped so far and that they will replace any effected units free of charge.

Well, there have been way too many dubious complaints for an issue that only effects 0.1% of the nanos out there.  So obviously a lot of people are jumping on the bandwagon and embellishing quite a bit to say the least.

And as for the scratching issue, simply placing a nano in your pocket once will not make it look like it’s been rubbed harshly with steel wool as many have claimed.  How do I know this?  Because I own a black nano and have placed it in my pocket several times and nothing of the sort has happened.

Besides, Schiller also said today that they use the same material on the nano as they do with the full sized iPods, so the scratching issue would be the same on either unit.

This story has been so overblown it’s ridiculous.  It’s getting old, move on people…

Posted by RCH on September 27, 2005 at 4:41 PM (PDT)

The fact that the some of the screens are breaking easily and they all scratch easily is disappointing but the real issue is the support void at Apple. Last Christmas I bought 2 of the $500+ Photo iPods and a few weeks later one of the screens broke. When I tried to get it repaired Apple refused and said it would cost too much even when I offered to pay for it. My only option was to purchase a new unit and take the $500 loss. Now all of my family, friends, and coworkers are looking for other brands to purchase.

Posted by Ray on September 27, 2005 at 8:10 PM (PDT)

Apple’s first response to the screen issue: http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=12741

Posted by kura on September 27, 2005 at 9:06 PM (PDT)

I just took the Ipod nano out of the plastic wrapping, leave on the sticky plastic, scratched off the white writting on the outer covering plastic with my fingernail and stuck the nano back into the plastic.  Seal with invisi-tape and WA-LA, Nano protector

Posted by Don on September 27, 2005 at 10:19 PM (PDT)

Whilst I accept that some of the comments here do seem a tad OTT and that some people may be jumping on the badwaggon, it’s obvious that there is some sort of deficiency with the Nano.

I have a black Nano and the front has scratched an awful lot quicker and easier than my old 20gb. Apple should have ensured that the appropriate covers/skins were available at the time this product was launched.
I purchased the Ipod socks as soon as I noticed my Nano was scratching, however, these do not provide adaquate protection.

I accept that Ipods will scratch over time, but to be covered in scratches after 2 weeks is poor.

Posted by Louise on September 29, 2005 at 4:15 AM (PDT)

I am also a very happy black 4GB Nano owner. I have not noticed any unusual scratches showing up on mine having been toted around in pockets, bags, tossed on desks, etc.

Yes, scratches appear, but not any more or any deeper than my previous 4G iPod or 2G mini.

If the product is “fundamentally flawed” as one poster wrote, then why is it that there seems to be a vast majority of people out there who have *no problems whatsoever*?

This lawsuit is a case of a very loud minority, in my opinion. I look forward to seeing it thrown out.

Posted by Maurice on October 21, 2005 at 8:48 AM (PDT)

You people are stupid. One use of brassl will get rid of ALL THE SCRATCHES! Do yourself a favour and get some for 4 bucks.

Posted by Pat on October 28, 2005 at 8:13 AM (PDT)

Page 3 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >