iPod nano to get video playback, Apple working on vPod battery life? | iLounge News

iPod nano to get video playback, Apple working on vPod battery life?

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, May 1, 2006
News Categories: iPod nano

American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu believes that the next version of the iPod nano will gain more storage capacity and basic video playback features. “We continue to believe that the iPod nano is in need of a refresh with either an increase in storage capacities and/or price cuts to regenerate interest,” Wu said in a research note to clients. “Our most recent checks indicate that the current 2GB and 4GB models will see their storage doubled to 4GB and 8GB capacities. We are also picking up that basic video playback capability will likely be added to further differentiate against competitors. We anticipate these new nanos will become available in the September quarter and become top sellers, particularly if Apple keeps its price points low at $199 and $249.”

Wu also said that he believes Apple is working to improve battery life on its next-generation video iPod. “The current video iPod’s battery life is great with audio but when one watches video, it lasts only about 75-90 minutes,” Wu notes. “We are picking up that Apple is exploring different ways to improve battery life including: 1) better software that makes Broadcom’s AlphaMosaic multimedia co-processor operate more efficiently; 2) using a bigger battery; and 3) using both NAND flash and microdrives. Depending on how much progress is made, we are picking up that wireless Bluetooth headphones may or may not be included with this next-generation vPod. Despite the technical issues, we anticipate this product to ship in the December quarter and serve as Apple’s new high-end iPod and not replace the current fifth-generation video iPod, which in our checks, continues to sell well.”

« Mix: ABC shows, MP3 players, French law, iTalk video

Napster returns to free music with ad-supported site »

Comments

The iPod nano’s screen is so small, how are you going to watch video on it? At least it’s better than nothing….How about a touch screen iPod nano Steve?

Posted by hoho on May 1, 2006 at 8:24 AM (PDT)

Apple needs to update his iPod software/OS to be able to play more video formats and also to output video to TV with a better resolution (at least SD). We don’t like watching video on the iPod screen, that’s too small :(

Posted by Steph on May 1, 2006 at 8:32 AM (PDT)

Of course, right after I buy my 2GB nano. If I’d waited a few more months I could get twice the space and video capabilities.

Posted by JSchwage on May 1, 2006 at 8:53 AM (PDT)

I agree the nano is in need of a refresh…......but not with video capability.  We’ve already seen on the 5G, that video playback on the ipod isn’t exactly a godsend.    Plus, the sad size of the screen on the nano would make it purely impractical.

If you want to refresh the nano, ratchet it’s size up to that of the mini, give it a screen about the same size and please…...better battery life!

Posted by Huskerz85 on May 1, 2006 at 9:03 AM (PDT)

“If I’d waited a few more months I could get twice the space and video capabilities.”

That’s pretty much always the case, though…

Posted by bipto in Minneapolis, MN on May 1, 2006 at 9:39 AM (PDT)

watching a video on 2.5 inch screen isnt that great…now they want it on the nano’s screen?? thats very useless, but i can see Apple doing it anyways, just to show off!

Posted by slayer on May 1, 2006 at 9:47 AM (PDT)

I predict that iPods will keep getting smaller, while at the same time adding more storage, battery life and features.

You heard it here first, folks.

Posted by ort on May 1, 2006 at 9:53 AM (PDT)

>>wireless Bluetooth headphones may or may not be included <<

Sounds like a safe prediction.

Posted by brted on May 1, 2006 at 9:58 AM (PDT)

Shaw Wu is no analyst at all. His so called “predictions” are just generalization that anyone can predict.

Posted by Disgruntled iPod Customer on May 1, 2006 at 10:29 AM (PDT)

so you’re COMPLAINING about an EXTRA FEATURE?? Yes, watching a video on a 1.5” screen is pointless. But its something extra that not many players have! Instead of complaining, accept the fact that SOME PEOPLE want to see it because it gives them a taste of a portable video player as a bonus feature on their MP3 player.

Posted by fxspec06 on May 1, 2006 at 10:29 AM (PDT)

It’s interesting how people assume that a new model necessarily would have the same sized screen as the current model.

Posted by elob on May 1, 2006 at 12:07 PM (PDT)

People watch videos on Mobile Phones. So people will watch them on the nano.

Posted by Peachey on May 1, 2006 at 1:53 PM (PDT)

First off, I’m just happy the Nano will eventually get upped to 8GB which exactly what I need.  Not enough to fit my entire library, but enough to put most of my favorites.  I see the video as as extra feature that’s there if you want to use it.  I suppose it’s good to have.  As for the screen, I think the current 5G screen is small enough, but I might watch an episode or two of The Office on there.  I do agree with #11 & #12.  The screen could possibly be wider and taller.  Sort of like the fake “Nanos” being sold.  And yes people download video content all the time on their phones, which I always thought was ridiculous, but goes to show people will purchase TV shows for the Nano which is more money for Apple.

That doesn’t mean I trust this analyst, because I don’t believe any of them.  But it seems like a natural progression anyway.

Posted by Sean on May 1, 2006 at 2:41 PM (PDT)

i think it would be awesome to have video on the nano. if it had video, i would buy it. the nano is way more affordable than the ipod video.  the video ipods cost 400 bucks, which being a frugal college student i cant afford. i am on the computer everyday, so there is no need to have a huge harddrive anyways. thats why i like my shuffle, i autofill it everyday. i never hear the same song twice durring my 4 hour commute (both ways!).  i want a nano with video, and apple needs to make video glasses too!

Posted by jfriend33 on May 1, 2006 at 5:12 PM (PDT)

i could careless about features on the ipod, hell i have the photo ipod, havent put pictures to look at.
if the battery life is good for the next ipod apple releases, i will definately buy it.

Posted by navas on May 1, 2006 at 5:22 PM (PDT)

Hey, one guys poison is some girls pleasure.      I’ll take that small, dark, and video-capable poison and relish it very much, thank you.
I had linux on my Nano for a while and loved being able to watch video on it. Sure, I was’nt about to settle in for a Bab5 marathon or anything, but vegging out and watching Adult Swim, or classic Aeon Flux episodes durring my lunch break was nice.
Don’t dis the vid.
Whine about the uselessness of a screen lock or breakout and I’ll help with the chorus

Posted by MirandaKali in D.C. on May 1, 2006 at 6:40 PM (PDT)

The new nanos should be slightly thicker so that the battery is bigger allowing longer battery life. And video would be useless considering the small screen unless Apple will do a sandisk and bump up the screen to 1,8 Inches. Also how about improving the software for a change. I want a custom EQ, more GUI colors customizable wps and maybe UMS???

Posted by roger767 on May 1, 2006 at 10:50 PM (PDT)

watching video on the nano would be like peeking at your hot nude neighbour through a tiny hole in your fence. not bad, but its better with a bigger hole

Posted by ipodnana on May 2, 2006 at 3:18 AM (PDT)

I agree with everyone who wants the new nano to get a little bigger.  After about two weeks of owning it, I found myself going back to my Mini which has more capacity and whether it’s true or not, it gives the illusion of durability.  Never understood why the Mini had to be completely discontinued…couldn’t the guys in Cupertino come up with a 20 gig photo/video Mini in new colors??? maybe that’s next on the horizon: Mini Classic!

Posted by andrew Chasnoff on May 2, 2006 at 3:06 PM (PDT)