iPod nanos now shipping with protective sleeve | iLounge News

iPod nanos now shipping with protective sleeve

image

In response to widespread complaints about the scratchability of the iPod nano’s clear front surface, Apple has quietly added a protective fabric sleeve to the packages of all iPod nanos. As first noted in the iLounge forums, the slip cases are identical to the ones included with fifth-generation iPods.

Apple last month was hit with a class-action lawsuit for the nano’s susceptibility to scratching. The lawyers representing consumers in the suit filed a similar class-action lawsuit last week on behalf of United Kingdom and Mexico.

« Analyst sees terabyte iPod in Apple’s future

Portable Media Expo & Podcasting Conference tomorrow, booths opening »

Comments

these cases are pretty pointless. you still have to take out the nano to use it. why doesnt apple include their nano tubes w. screen protectors?

Posted by adamti91 on November 10, 2005 at 4:33 PM (PDT)

Still, it’s better than nothing for the nano users.

Posted by webHead in Vancouver, British Columbia on November 10, 2005 at 5:02 PM (PDT)

Uh, what about the rest of us who bought in at the iPod nano IPO?

Posted by Steve Rubel on November 10, 2005 at 5:26 PM (PDT)

Apple should ship out FREE sleeves for those who already own a Nano. Yes these sleeves are pretty lame, but they are better than nothing.

Posted by June on November 10, 2005 at 5:32 PM (PDT)

it would only be useless if it scratches it.  like the old belt clip with the 3G.

Posted by Jeff on November 10, 2005 at 5:33 PM (PDT)

I just got my Nano Tubes today and it looks great.  I already applied the Invisible Shield on my Nano, and adding the Tubes to it is perfect.  The fit is perfect too.

I tried the Agent 18 case with my Nano a few weeks ago and it didn’t fit well.

If you guys are looking for best protection, go with the invisible shield + nano tubes.  I know the total cost is around $50, but it’s double protection including the screen.  Besides, you can just keep one tube and sell the other 4 on Ebay, they go for about $10 each, so you actually make money!

Posted by Andy on November 10, 2005 at 5:38 PM (PDT)

i mean, cheers to them for sending SOMETHING…but for instance my iriver H10 came with a perfectly good silicon case, and the h10’s scratch as little as the mini’s. granted there is no screen protection, but a cut down PDA cover solved that (set of 14 from sears for like…5 bucks)
-adam smile

Posted by adamti91 on November 10, 2005 at 5:38 PM (PDT)

or…tunewear icewear nano for about 20 bucks…comes with tunefilm, a clear plastic protector for the screen, front, click wheel and back. info here: http://www.tunewear.com/english/product/icewear_nano/index.html

buy here:

Posted by adamti91 on November 10, 2005 at 5:41 PM (PDT)

Does anybody know if there is any way for the individuals who bought their Nano’s before the sleeves were introduced to get reimbursed?

Posted by Chris on November 10, 2005 at 6:15 PM (PDT)

Too bad I have mine since day one. I have been using one of the PSP screen protectors made by Hori, you can get them at ebgames. I cut it to fit the screen only so I have scratches on the body but not on the screen. It works for 5 dollars and you can get atleast 2 screens out of it 3 if you are good. I also put it on my 5g iPod w/ video

Posted by C E on November 10, 2005 at 7:00 PM (PDT)

I agree that these sleeves should be provided by Apple for free to everyone that has purchased a nano prior to them being included in the box.

Posted by RC on November 10, 2005 at 7:11 PM (PDT)

I find that the scratches on my iPod don’t affect sound quality as much as scratches on CD’s…

Posted by Jamie on November 10, 2005 at 7:59 PM (PDT)

Apple should give us an nano with bodymask or something like that!

Posted by Michael on November 10, 2005 at 8:06 PM (PDT)

Try a ziploc bag.

Posted by Ross Tibbits on November 10, 2005 at 8:24 PM (PDT)

Apple should include an extra sock in the package so we could shove it in everyones mouth. I guess I’m not one that goes around and shows everyone my nano… it stays in my pocket all the time yeh, it’s scratched to hell but keeps on playing the tunes(that really sounded strange)... even after my girlfriend put my jeans in the wash and the dryer with the nano still in the pocket. Plus this way when someone sees my nano I always tell them I have been testing the nano for over 8 months and they believe me. Then again I have a 6 year old range rover and I still have never washed it.

Posted by robert downey on November 10, 2005 at 8:52 PM (PDT)

you know he just wanted to say he had a range rover smile

Posted by adamti91 on November 10, 2005 at 9:05 PM (PDT)

My Gen 1 iPod has scratches. Where do I complain?

Posted by OS11 on November 10, 2005 at 9:21 PM (PDT)

thanks apple for rewarding us early adopters.  i’ll definately think twice now about buying a “just released” product.

off topic slightly, does anyone from apple read these pages - would be great if they could take note of what people are saying here.

Posted by iGod on November 10, 2005 at 9:22 PM (PDT)

Whiners = wankers

Posted by Cynic on November 10, 2005 at 9:38 PM (PDT)

Well yes except that case scratches the thing. I picked up a Brando Screen protector for my 5g it’s crystal clear and doing a nice job protecting it until my cases arrive, it’ll even stay on then.

Posted by Scarpad on November 10, 2005 at 9:41 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >