iPod nanos now shipping with protective sleeve | iLounge News

iPod nanos now shipping with protective sleeve

image

In response to widespread complaints about the scratchability of the iPod nano’s clear front surface, Apple has quietly added a protective fabric sleeve to the packages of all iPod nanos. As first noted in the iLounge forums, the slip cases are identical to the ones included with fifth-generation iPods.

Apple last month was hit with a class-action lawsuit for the nano’s susceptibility to scratching. The lawyers representing consumers in the suit filed a similar class-action lawsuit last week on behalf of United Kingdom and Mexico.

« Analyst sees terabyte iPod in Apple’s future

Portable Media Expo & Podcasting Conference tomorrow, booths opening »

Comments

What Apple should do is “re-design” the material it uses on the iPod nano so it won’t scratch. I have a Palm Pilot that I treat pretty rough and it has almost no scratches after one year. The black nano scratches if you run your finger across it. It is ridiculous for them to have used the material they did to seal the nano!

Posted by Scott on November 11, 2005 at 1:26 AM (CST)

I left most of the protective plastic on my nano. I took a razor and sliced just above the wheel, so there is still the factory plastic over the screen.

Posted by mark on November 11, 2005 at 6:28 AM (CST)

I purchased a black nano when they first came out. I really don’t understand the scratching issue as I have none. I use a little change wallet I got at Wal-Mart to carry it. I guess I just take care of my stuff. oh well

Posted by Steve on November 11, 2005 at 8:04 AM (CST)

These cases are pretty good. I have one with my iPod “Video” and it’s really good. It protects it from scratches and it’s not too big like the old Apple black ones…

Posted by Steph on November 11, 2005 at 9:49 AM (CST)

“thanks apple for rewarding us early adopters.”

Oh, geez.

Posted by TheRaven on November 11, 2005 at 9:59 AM (CST)

What will become of the class action lawsuit?  I predict paltry checks for each nano owner willing to pursue the eventual settlement, and a few very rich lawyers.

Posted by TLo on November 11, 2005 at 11:08 AM (CST)

do you want some cheese with your whine

get over it people, the world isn’t perfect and never will be

Posted by bob on November 11, 2005 at 12:43 PM (CST)

Hay they gave u free case cool. But think what apple is doing take care of the cry baby that want to sue beacause they broke the screen with their fat bump. And any way if they gave this free you are still going to buy a case for it any way because it cost u 200 buck.

Posted by bond2kill on November 11, 2005 at 1:17 PM (CST)

Larry,
I’m concerned that this simply isn’t true.  The Apple website doesn’t show the case as included in the box, the photographs come from a forum user (This wouldn’t be the first time a member of an online forum posted a believeable photoshop image), and in the forums there’s widespread disparity amongst the reports of users who called into Apple customer service about this issue.  What are the sources of this report besides forum users?

Posted by alexarch in Dallas, TX on November 11, 2005 at 3:39 PM (CST)

that case is worthless.  I’ve kept my 5g ipod in it since i got it and it still has some serious surface scratches goin on. all from sliding it in and out.

Posted by wmurch3 on November 11, 2005 at 4:34 PM (CST)

>>What are the sources of this report besides forum users?

Posted by JPack on November 11, 2005 at 5:46 PM (CST)

Thanks JPack.  I’ll reserve my skepticism for a few more days.

Posted by alexarch on November 11, 2005 at 6:45 PM (CST)

will the people that already have a nano get a sleve shipped to them

Posted by william on November 11, 2005 at 10:27 PM (CST)

this post if for #6 ANDY.

You said you got your nano tubes, may I ask you some question?

The reason I am holding out for those tubes, is beacase I am not sure what the material is…

Is it.. sticky, and sticks up dirt.. you know.. like those iskins from before?? or is it very smooth and doesn’t suck up dirt?

this is a major factor that helps me to determine whether I will get it or not.
Thanks..

Posted by flyhen on November 12, 2005 at 3:33 AM (CST)

“For crap’s sake, stop your sniveling and go buy yourself one of the many excellent iPod nano protectors.”

umm, i did.  didn’t think would stop me from commenting on what i thought was a strange marketing decision on apple’s part (note commenting, not sniveling - you bloody twat).

Posted by iGod on November 13, 2005 at 3:48 AM (CST)

Hey Jack,

It just sounds like you are defending Apple. You don’t know what you’re talking about. I’ve had my nano for two weeks, and I read about the scratching before I got it. I have taken perfect care of it. I think you have bad eyesight or just want to defend Apple no matter what. You also can’t spell and have a very limited vocabulary. Goes along with your eyesight.

Scott

Posted by Scott on November 13, 2005 at 11:28 AM (CST)

It never fails to amaze me how these apple fan boys/girls get so worked up over scratching. People don’t like scratching, so what, if you do, why should you care other people don’t?! Christ get over your selves for heavens sake…

Posted by Adam on November 13, 2005 at 11:47 AM (CST)

My first nano died to a battery issue.  Had it for a week and oh my god, I barely had a scratch on it.  Was it because I took care of it?  I finally got my second ipod nano about a week ago and, can it be a second miracle?!  No fucking scratches.  This whole scratching thing, imho, got started by some whiney bitches who’s main reason to own an ipod nano was to probably show it off to everyone.  Even if my ipod nano does get scratched, it will probably be the way I handled/took care of it.  And when it does get scratched I won’t have a stroke about it and whine.

Posted by Chris on November 13, 2005 at 12:02 PM (CST)

I understand this move from Apple and think it’s a good one. When I went to refund my nano (within the 2 week period) so I could but a 5G iPod, the woman at the till said she could’nt take it back because of the scratching which Doesn’t come under refund since it can easily be avoided if you use a case.

Keep in mind I wouldn’t even leave my iPod on my wooden desk without a soft cleaning cloth in between! I complained that if this was the case than Apple should have supplied some sort of case WITH the nano. I guess I wasn’t the only one thinking this…

It’s simple, much cheaper for Apple to supply these cases, they don’t have to re-design nano with new material. And now if somebody complains about scratching, Apple simply says, “you should have kept it in the case!”

Anyways, I’m now the proud owner of a 30GB 5G white iPod. I always keep it in my iPod socks rather than the supplied case, and no scrathing at all…yet.

Posted by SkuiD on November 14, 2005 at 7:16 AM (CST)

those cases probably cost apple about 5 cents a piece to make, and the one that comes with the 5G is a joke. O well, I just picked up a sweet case for my semi-scratched nano at: nikkipod its cheaper than the agent 18 case, so I hope it works out.

Posted by Steve81 on November 14, 2005 at 1:25 PM (CST)

Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 >