iPod nanos now shipping with protective sleeve | iLounge News

iPod nanos now shipping with protective sleeve

image

In response to widespread complaints about the scratchability of the iPod nano’s clear front surface, Apple has quietly added a protective fabric sleeve to the packages of all iPod nanos. As first noted in the iLounge forums, the slip cases are identical to the ones included with fifth-generation iPods.

Apple last month was hit with a class-action lawsuit for the nano’s susceptibility to scratching. The lawyers representing consumers in the suit filed a similar class-action lawsuit last week on behalf of United Kingdom and Mexico.

« Analyst sees terabyte iPod in Apple’s future

Portable Media Expo & Podcasting Conference tomorrow, booths opening »

Comments

can anyone action confirm 100% that the nanos shipping are coming with these cheapass cases?  i’m thinking of buying one and i called apple today and asked them if the nanos were coming with these cases and the customer service guy said that to his knowledge they weren’t.  so can i’d like some sort of conformation that they are before i actually order one online.
thanks in advance

Posted by adel on November 14, 2005 at 5:09 PM (PDT)

Hey Jack, I want to listen to my iPod… oh wait, I’m out of expensive, low-capacity and bulky AAs.  Man, I sure am glad the iPod uses AAs (or freaking 9-volts).

Posted by Craig on November 14, 2005 at 6:54 PM (PDT)

“thanks apple for rewarding us early adopters.?

Well then maybe you shouldn’t buy anything at its initial release if your gonna whine about it… I see many electronics that suck at first, until the manufacture finds out and fixes some kinks.

Posted by maxrebo on November 14, 2005 at 7:19 PM (PDT)

Yesterday I called to Apple support in Finland and they told that they will send the sleeves. I bought the Nanos a month ago… also they told “accidentally” that they had lot of complains about scratching: ...do you have lot of complains about scratching? Yes, we have lot of complains “little silence and some talking in support” then adding… but we have sold also lot of them…

Posted by oka on November 15, 2005 at 12:43 AM (PDT)

I bought a nano for my wife for Christmas.  I plan to buy her a better case after Christmas, but after seeing this post I decided to contact Apple Customer service to see if they would ship me one of these cheesy cases for free.  Something to hold us over until I can get her a better case, ya know?  Well, this was the response I got today.

“Thank you for your email message regarding the inclusion of the protective case with your iPod Nano.

Your iPod Nano shipped before the protective case was included. Your order does not qualify for the protective case. We apologize for any inconvenience.”

Pretty crappy response if you ask me.  Good luck to anyone else trying to get one.  Also pretty crappy since I not only bought a brand-new 4 Gig nano, but also a 60 Gig video iPod for myself.  After spending that much money at the iPod store, you’d think they could spring for a cheap case.

Posted by SockMonkey on November 15, 2005 at 9:06 AM (PDT)

i think this whole things sucks ofr us people who bought our nanos before. I dont really care about scratches that much. If anyone knows about a scratch cleaner that works well that would be cool tho. Also can anyone recommend a case.

Posted by sweettoasted on November 15, 2005 at 3:24 PM (PDT)

guys guys guys..!! please hold on…let me also put it another way. I havent seen any MP3 player yet with uncovered LCD except those video players like PVRs and PMPs. Some of those have have some outer cover that doesnt take up much scratches so keep doing fair while in use. Now what happens to LCDs which are exposed. Well, I dont have any experience of a player like this, but I do have a couple of digicams with unprotected LCDs. And believe me they develop permamnet scratches the moment I forget to baby them. I always keep my canon ixus in a case. But once in a hurry i just put it in my pocket which had nothing else inside it. When I took it out I was shattered to see mutitude of tiny specs like scratches. That day I realised how the LCDs should be taken care of.
Technically the tendency for any surface to show up scratches also depends upon its surface finish quality and accuracy of its flatness at micro levels. As I have seen that Ipod nano has a very fine and lustrous surface finish and so it has a high tendency to show scratches too. Honestly all the current owners cannot deny this fact that such smooth ,shiny and lustrous looks of the player was also one of the temptations to them to grab it immediately.
I just hope that Apple could have used much harder surface that could reproduce similar surface appearence. But I cannot say how such a material response to other mfg. needs.. After all this is all technical details.

Whatever be the equipment we buy, if the LCD is not protected than we should immediately use some protection as a clear film or some kind of case(in my opinion clear film just on the LCD is good enough). These films do not show off scratches so fast.

If Apple wouldnt have introduced Black nano with the same surface finish as for white one, people wouldnt have noticed scratches. Just because of so much of complains and posts about the scratches in black nano people have developed the tendency to look for new scratches everytime even in white nanos which they rather never would have bothered about had there been no such a big “nano is prone to scratch camaign”. It has really been hyped too much and all new ipod owners are loosing their minds and are getting provoked.

thats all…...thanks for reading my point.

Posted by variozin on November 15, 2005 at 6:31 PM (PDT)

asdfasdfasd

Posted by fasdfasd on November 15, 2005 at 10:06 PM (PDT)

Follow-up to my post from yesterday:

After posting here, and re-reading Apple CS’s response to my inquiry about the protective sleeve, I wrote to them again stating that I was not happy with the response and that I don’t quite understand why it would be a big deal to simply send customers one of the sleeves.  I also mentioned that in the past month or so, I have spent over $700 combined in the Apple Store (4 gig Nano, 60 gig video iPod, $25 iTunes gift card, etc) and iTunes.  I really didn’t expect any different response, but what I got shocked me.

They responded by shipping me a 5-pack of Nano Tubes.  I think this was a bit of overkill, but it did make me happy.  I would have been just as happy with one of the protective sleeves discussed in this article.  But, I’m not complaining.

Posted by SockMonkey on November 16, 2005 at 10:11 AM (PDT)

COME ON! No flame wars needed here! Jack, shut up, you blind idiot. Replaceable batteries? Yeah, that would solve EVERYTHING! And it would help if you didn’t use insults worthy of a 10-year-old on anyone who doesn’t agree with you.
Enough about you.
I have a nano, and the scratching really isn’t all that bad. It would be nice to have one of these cases, but I doubt I’ll get one. Oh well, they’re not perfect cases anyway.  Stop your whining, everyone. The nano’s a great piece of technology, and you have to expect it to be fragile- just look at it! So, go find a case for it. They’re only about $20 or $30.

Posted by Someone on November 17, 2005 at 7:57 PM (PDT)

Can someone please erase Jack’s counterproductive comments and ban his IP address from posting?

Posted by Matt on November 28, 2005 at 3:59 PM (PDT)

this whole process of buying a nano has been such a funny experience for me… first never in a million years would i ever see myself with an IPOD let alone a NANO! but anyways before i purchesed this product, i did my part of research. at first i didnt look too much into the whole thing, but the more i read the more obsessed i became with it. i was this close to buying an invisibleSHEILD, which is not sold in stores and already i am from Canada… what great luck eh? anyways i think its great that APPLE has finally come to their senses and including a lil something extra. treat your clients as nice as you can and they will come back to you. simple as that! one word-“karma”

Posted by Andy on December 22, 2005 at 5:13 AM (PDT)

well it helps you until you get your actual case, because ive seen so many with out a case and for all u ppl that do hav the ipod nano should no that they scratch really easily…. so its better than nothing…

Posted by Chelsie on April 5, 2006 at 3:17 PM (PDT)

Page 3 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3