iPod not meant to lead PC users to switch to Mac | iLounge News

iPod not meant to lead PC users to switch to Mac

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Thursday, June 17, 2004
News Categories: iPod

MacMinute reports that “in an interview with Neil McIntosh of The Guardian, Apple CEO Steve Jobs said that the iPod is no longer meant to lead PC users to switch to the Mac platform. ‘We brought the iPod to Windows. That was a big decision. That was basically a decision not to use the iPod to drive people to Macs,” Jobs said after Tuesday’s iTunes event in Europe. ‘We’re going to use it as a music device, and we’re going to put it on Windows. The majority of iPods we sell are used on Windows.’”

« Enter to win free passes to Macworld Expo Boston

Apple posts QuickTime video of iTMS Europe launch »

Comments

Well that’s ok because due in large part to the iPod and the iTunes Music Store, in 2003 I purchased a Mac which is only the 2nd Apple Computer I’ve ever owned in my life.  The only other one was an Apple IIc that was a Christmas gift in 1984.  Now that I have one, I don’t know how I got by all those years in between Apples.

Posted by Rob on June 17, 2004 at 10:17 AM (PDT)

THE HEATHENS MUST REPENT AND COME OVER TO THE LIGHT

Posted by chodo-boy on June 17, 2004 at 11:00 AM (PDT)

“the iPod is no longer meant to lead PC users to switch to the Mac”

That’s code for saying, “We thought that the fit and finish, the user interface elegance, and the packaging, would all give Windows users a taste of what they were missing and drive more Mac sales.”

Call a spade a spade: Turns out this high quality experience isn’t what Windows users want, or are willing to pay for.

Posted by http://homepagemac.com/cherrypop/ on June 17, 2004 at 11:31 AM (PDT)

Obviously selling the iPod for Windows meant dropping their first plan: get people to switch by making iPods a Mac-only “feature,” like iMovie etc. Instead, iPods now sell to Windows, making lots of direct money.

But that does NOT mean Apple’s not well aware of a secondary NEW switch affect introduced with iPods on Windows: mindshare.

Lots of people never even consider Apple computers, and don’t even know why. They are just in a rut of “people buy PCs not Macs right?”

But seeing Apple products like iTunes and iPod changes that perception. A significant number of people, seeing that quality vs. the problems many of them are having with Windows, will now seriously consider Macs in future—a BIG jump from not considering Macs at all. That’s a jump a LOT of people will make.

That’s great, but don’t expect that to be an instant effect. It’s the kind of effect that takes place when you next need a computer… or maybe the one after that. It’s absurd to expect someone with a basically working PC to suddenly go buy a Mac right now because they like their iPod. The Mac they MAC buy—and some WILL—is a future computer. Maybe a year down the road, maybe three.

Posted by Nagromme on June 17, 2004 at 12:31 PM (PDT)

(Misc typos… such as: “The Mac they MAY buy—and some WILL”)

Posted by Nagromme on June 17, 2004 at 12:34 PM (PDT)

yes well pointed out nagromme, “http://homepagemac.com/cherrypop/” misses the point, steve is not saying that there are fewer people changing from pcs to apple computers. he is commenting on the decision to bring ipod to pc owners. he could have kept it as a weapon in the mac vs. pc battle but rightly showed pc owners what apple can do. i personally dont own an apple but ive come pretty close to buying one.

Posted by giles on June 17, 2004 at 12:42 PM (PDT)

The iPod is a “gateway drug” for sure… the iPod is to smoking pot as the Mac is to cocaine… I’ve never in my life owned an Apple computer, but 1.5 years with an iPod, and my next purchase will be a PowerBook fo sho’.

I mean, check out my Windows XP desktop: http://www.hancho.org/blogger/archives/2004_06_01_archive.html#108722123053067232

Posted by nickcho on June 17, 2004 at 4:02 PM (PDT)

I just bought a powerbook.. I was a long time PC user, I will say the iPod definitely influenced me.

Posted by bojangles on June 17, 2004 at 5:27 PM (PDT)

today i was at comp usa and looking at an iPod connected toa mac computer. Seeing the neat mouse i decided to take the mac for a test drive and from those few minutes i loved it it is actually really neat

Posted by AmidaamruFlame on June 17, 2004 at 7:39 PM (PDT)

Well, even if they don’t mean it to get people to switch, that’s EXACTLY the effect it had on me….this past weekend, I bought my very first Mac (iMac 15” flat screen) and already, I won’t touch my PC laptop….I can’t believe I ever waited so long!!!!!!

Posted by Lauren on June 17, 2004 at 8:58 PM (PDT)

With respect, I didn’t miss the point.  As an AAPL shareholder, I study the conferences calls, the annual reports, etc.  Apple is not converting Windows users in numbers that will change the face of the company.

Sure, there are many Switchers, there will always be, but if you’re optimistic enough to believe that the “strategy” you lay out is working, prove it.

Posted by http://homepagemac.com/cherrypop/ on June 18, 2004 at 3:01 AM (PDT)

Something else that could maybe drive some people to the Mac: how about some freakin advertising Apple?!? No wonder your market share sucks! Everyone loves the iPod, so now that you has this great reputation again, show the masses what else you have to offer!

Posted by Biff on June 18, 2004 at 5:21 AM (PDT)

I like that I can go into a store, pick up just about any piece of software or any brand new release game and I don’t have to pyne about it not being on a Mac.

I don’t have to worry that there is only one type of videocard that I can put in my machine and that I don’t have to buy it from the person who built my computer.

I like that I can actually go out and build my own computer, purchasing each and every part individually at the best price, and that I’m not forced to just use one vendor to get my operating system to work.

I’m not a stupid noob who doesn’t know how to run an update for my operating system, so however many virii or malware applications come along, I’m not stupid enough to open a .exe or .vbs attachment on my email, or, God forbid, run a program just because the icon “looks” legitimate.

My name is Wilkshake. I own an iPod, and I’m not switching.

Posted by Wilkshake on June 18, 2004 at 6:36 AM (PDT)

After purchasing an iPod about a year ago, I realize that I will never buy a Mac. My iPod’s battery lasts for about an hour and I’m stuck with Apple’s audio format. My impression is that Apple makes sub par products and then forces users to pay for their poor engineering, i.e. $100 for a battery replacement. Maybe Apple should focus on creating reliable and quailty products rather than pretty paper weights.

Posted by No switching here on June 18, 2004 at 8:20 AM (PDT)

You may not have understood me, cherrypop. I never said it was still their main strategy for iPod—my first sentence made that clear. I said it’s a very real long-term effect in addition to the direct profit. How would a future trend be “proven” before it happens? This thread already proves that the PC iPod brings in some Switchers who wouldn’t have looked at Macs otherwise. How many? Enough for Apple to care about? I expect so—but not quickly. Time will tell.

Wilkshake, you have a few misconceptions about Mac, but they’re so obvious I’ll ignore them as trolling smile

Posted by Nagromme on June 18, 2004 at 8:27 AM (PDT)

How would a future trend be “proven” before it happens?

How much time do you need?  The iPod’s been on sale for several years now.

The method of proof I’m looking for is data regarding Switchers.  Not only has Apple admitted that the Switch campaign was nutless, Apple’s CPU sales are lagging; just take a look at their quarterly reports.  CPU sales are soft.  Period.  End of story.

You can point to the handful, even thousands, of new-to-Apple customers, but it takes hundreds of thousands of customers to bump up Apple’s 3%+/- market share.

And for what it’s worth, there’s no question in my mind that Apple’s quality mp3 player experience is driving some sales, but it’s no watershed event.

And if you’re still not convinced, ask yourself why Jobs and Co. bothered to make such a comment as the one that started this thread?  Ask yourself why the Switcher campaign is MIA?

Posted by http://homepagemac.com/cherrypop/ on June 18, 2004 at 9:44 AM (PDT)

Who’s making it out to be a “watershed event”? It’s a second—and real and valuable—effect of selling iPods for Windows. Maybe that’s your misunderstanding—you don’t see the middle ground between “useless” and “earthshaking.” That’s where I’m coming from.

And why is there a time limit on people buying Macs because they like their iPods? Mindshare isn’t a one-time event, it’s a process, and many things contribute to it. iPods contribute a LOT.

Posted by Nagromme on June 18, 2004 at 10:16 AM (PDT)

But you have a point though that many (not all) Windows users are Windows users BECAUSE they don’t seek quality wink

Posted by Nagromme on June 18, 2004 at 10:18 AM (PDT)

iPods contribute a LOT.

Yawn.  Like I said above, prove it.  Quantify “a lot.”

Posted by http://homepagemac.com/cherrypop/ on June 18, 2004 at 10:20 AM (PDT)

“No switching here” you should try to be a LITTLE less obvious that you are a troll.

Posted by Biff on June 18, 2004 at 11:12 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >