iPod outdone by iPod mini | iLounge News

iPod outdone by iPod mini

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Sunday, February 15, 2004
News Categories: iPod mini

“Finally, somebody has outdone the iPod. After years of unsuccessful attempts by Creative, Dell, Rio, Samsung and others to knock Apple’s MP3 player off its pedestal, we’ve got a player that makes the iPod seem like the oversize, clunky relic it (now) is. [...]

I tried out the iPod mini on short walks, my Metro commute and during jogging—Apple’s optional, $29 armband kept the thing clamped to my arm, but its earbud headphones wouldn’t stay in place—and everything worked fine. Battery life, at about 10 hours, actually exceeded Apple’s estimate of eight hours.”

« Latest update on Linux port to iPod

Mac: Text2iPod X 1.1b3 Released »

Comments

I don’t think the iPod is clunky ‘tall.

Posted by dethbrakr on February 15, 2004 at 9:47 AM (PDT)

I don’t think it’s clunky either, and 1000 songs is just not enough for me.

Posted by Amee on February 15, 2004 at 9:58 AM (PDT)

right, but boy are we gonna be said when 4g has anodized case and scroll wheel with menu buttons right on it

Posted by Daddo on February 15, 2004 at 10:07 AM (PDT)

I think a lot of the iPod’s “cool” factor is its white and chrome.  I hope they don’t get rid of it on 4Gs.

Posted by dethbrakr on February 15, 2004 at 10:16 AM (PDT)

The original iPod is great. But so’s the Mini—no reason we all have to have the same priorities.

I lean towards the Mini. But if the big iPod had the new clickwheel it would be a tough call! I really like that. (Make it light up!)

I also always like Apple’s white look. But the Aluminum of my PowerBook is so much more scratch-resistant. That’s important too.

Posted by Nagromme on February 15, 2004 at 11:40 AM (PDT)

fair enough, you might want more than 1000 songs in your pocket. but chances are, you can only listen to one of those 1000 songs at any given time so whats the problem in only having 1000? its still 2.5 days worth of music(according to my compression), which is longer than the minis life anyway, so you’ll have to go back to your computer to charge it (or powerpoint). and by the time you’ve listened to all of them only ONCE you can listen to them again and you won’t be bored

im just trying to prove a point of how people are scared of technological advances. when you buy something electronic, you MUST expect it to be obsolete later on in life, no company will stop and think “oh, but what about the poor people who bought product X?”

but, no the iPod isn’t clunky, it is however in comparison to the mini, but people need different things for different reasons

Posted by silver_haze20 on February 15, 2004 at 12:00 PM (PDT)

Here’s the deal:  When the Hitachi gets the HD in the mini up to 10 or 20 GB the mini will rock.

Posted by rdlink in Denver on February 15, 2004 at 12:49 PM (PDT)

Interesting point silver_haze, but it’s not about listening to all the songs in one sitting.  The problem with only having 1000 songs at once is that you’re limiting your selection.  Let’s say I transfer half my songs onto my iPod right now, then tonight at work realize that I want to listen to one I hadn’t transfered?  Having all your songs on one device, wether you can listen to them without charging or not, clearly has it’s advantages.

Posted by people are dumb on February 15, 2004 at 3:36 PM (PDT)

I was the same, blah 10 gigs is enough for everyone.

I will gladly retract that statement.

Posted by hamp on February 15, 2004 at 4:35 PM (PDT)

Did anyone notice the first page of the article where the author hypothesized that this might be the first mp3 player to be able to be used with mittens? Erm—my 40GB certainly won’t work if I have mittens on. Are the buttons/scroll wheel significantly different on the mini? Does anyone know?

Posted by Prudence in Somerville, MA on February 15, 2004 at 5:05 PM (PDT)

My 40gb works with the gloves I have.  Just depends on how thick they are, i guess.

Posted by dave on February 15, 2004 at 5:13 PM (PDT)

Madness, pure madness. The only advantage the Mini has on the standard is that cool new wheel, which I have no doubt will be applied to the next gen. iPods. 15 gigs vs. 4 for a $50 difference….please. All the talk is music when the fact is that the iPod is a multi-based storage device. If you want to hear your paltry 250 song selection, the iPod is not for you. Go to Rio you narrow minded lummox. iPod is for those whose tastes are vast and broad and want to hear Peter Shilling one minute and Laibach the next, and still be ale to store that hard to find episode of “Black Adder”
I’ve got a 2nd gen iPod and refuse to replace her untill they come out with one that I can watch those “Black Adder” episodes on….Jobs said he would’nt do such a thing, but hey,......Mr. Jobs? Have you seen the success of a little thing called Gameboy?  If people who need to see graphics well enough to perform the run jump shtick of action video games are happy, why not “Die Hard” or “Heavy Metal”
Bigger may not be better, but tinier drives are for tinier imaginations…...

Posted by grimmfox on February 15, 2004 at 7:11 PM (PDT)

Re: people are dumb—There are some good ways to work around the 1000-song limitation and access a larger library, AND they let you keep on auto-synching. No manual loading needed.

For instance: load your Mini with 400 of your favorites (by rating or by most-played), plus all your custom mixes (mostly overlapping the favorites), plus fill the rest of the Mini with your LEAST-RECENTLY-PLAYED songs. Those songs will naturally cycle, dumping old and getting new ones each time you connect to your computer. No song is left out forever, no matter how large your library—so in essence you DO have random play of EVERYTHING. As for picking a particular song you want at the moment, synching your favorites makes that very likely. And iTunes does this all automatically.

Posted by Nagromme on February 15, 2004 at 7:14 PM (PDT)

seeing the name of this post i thought they ment the mini was selling more then the ipod.  good thing i read it.

but yea the ipod is grand, i have the 40,
the ipod mini is nice too, so i hear, i don’t have one, i wouldn’t mind having one though,
but with 40GB i really have no real need for one,
unless its for show

Posted by sam on February 15, 2004 at 8:00 PM (PDT)

Nagromme, that may work for *you* but it is NOT a good enough solution for me.  I want the largest capacity possible to arry as much of my library at once as I can possible fit in my pocket.  That’s what works for *me*.  The Mini simply isn’t enough machine for me.  But then again, I’m not the target market for this device.  Hence my not buying one…ever.

Posted by stark23x on February 15, 2004 at 9:40 PM (PDT)

For me 1,000 songs becomes hard to manage on the iPod.  I couldn’t imagine having a 40gb device filled with songs.

I’m getting a mini and suspect that i’ll never use my 10gb again.

Of course I wouldn’t have called it clunky a month ago, but in light of the mini it’s HUGE!

Posted by BigSid in Los Angeles on February 16, 2004 at 12:20 AM (PDT)

Not having to pick and choose what music you carry with you is a distinct advantage.

Posted by Mountain Man on February 16, 2004 at 7:20 AM (PDT)

Not to mention the portable hard drive factor. 4gigs would only hold about half my audio. My 15 gig holds all my audio, and I use it to backup tarballs of all the websites and particularly the databases I admin. If the tapes fail, or my PC catches on fire, I still have a day or so old copy sitting there holding hands and humming along with Roger Waters and Steve MacDonald.

Posted by JC on February 16, 2004 at 1:47 PM (PDT)

All the people on this site already are not the demographic Apple is aiming for. For once, they are raising their sights—the buyers of the mini will be largely newbies who will just love their new mp3 player.
I am a 2nd Gen, 10 GB geek myself. The reintegrated scroll wheel and the apparently very tough metal body are the new developments I think are great.

Posted by Steven on February 16, 2004 at 10:53 PM (PDT)

Currently the average MP3 collection stored on iPods is around 9GB. Yes, there are people who track this sort of thing.

The average total collection creeps up slowly, strangely enough not as quickly as hard disk sizes.

That’s why introducing a smaller iPod with more expensive disks was smart.

Posted by averages on February 17, 2004 at 7:32 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >