iPod owners among internet’s ‘most prolific influencers’ | iLounge News

iPod owners among internet’s ‘most prolific influencers’

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, October 24, 2005
News Categories: iPod

A recent consumer study by analytics firm Intelliseek found that iPod owners are significantly more likely to create and spread consumer-generated media on the web.

According to Intelliseek’s study: “iPod users are twice as likely to have authored a blog than consumers who do not own MP3 players, and they outpace other MP3 owners on creating and posting content online. iPod users are also 2.5 times as likely to exchange text messages on cellular phones (59% vs. 24% of non-owners), three times as likely to take photos with a camera phone (45% vs. 15%), and three times as likely to download video clips and movies to a personal computer (47% versus 16%). The representative study of 660 online consumers was conducted in August, 2005.”

The consumer behavior study also finds that “iPod users are product innovators, significantly more likely to own digital video recorders, personal digital assistants, digital cameras, laptop computers and cell phones than non-iPod owners. They tend to link to the Internet via broadband and wireless connections, and are more likely than others to skip past or filter advertisements, especially online, a behavior that may be linked as much to high usability/interface expectations as it is to a dislike of advertising.”

« eXopod debuts aluminum iPod nano case

Difusi intros new cases for 5G iPod »

Comments

Can you say propaganda?  I see it the reverse.  People who blog, text message, use digital cameras and download video are also savvy enough to buy iPods.  The iPod isn’t what made me want to do these other things.  The iPod had no influence on me wanting to do these other things.  The iPod also has no influence on how I do anything other than listen to music.

In order of importance to me, here’s part of my gadget list.

1. Laptop
2. Cellphone (Treo)
3. Broadband internet connection
4. Digital camera
5. Cable TV
6. DVD player
7. Tivo
8. iPod

Sorry, the iPod is not at the top of my list.  I bet if I really thought about it, there’s a few more gadgets that have more influence on me than my iPod.  And, of course there are a lot of things lower on the list than my ipod.

Whoever commissioned Intelliseek to do this study, or whoever pays for a copy of this study is being mislead IMHO.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on October 24, 2005 at 11:48 AM (PDT)

yeah I was thinking the same thing. iPods don’t make people technologically savvy; technologically savvy people buy iPods. surprise.

Posted by jm on October 24, 2005 at 1:23 PM (PDT)

I think this jsut show that those people who use technology are more likley to use….MORE TECHNOLOGY!!! Wow what a discovery, it’s like splitting the atom or something…

Posted by ogvor on October 24, 2005 at 3:14 PM (PDT)

There is no suggestion in the story above (at least in what is mentioned here) that there is any *causal* relationship between ipod ownership and general tech-savvy behaviour, merely that there is a correlation.
they never claimed that the ipod itself influences you to write blogs, buy tivos or download multimedia content!  just that ipod owners are *more likely* to do this sort of stuff.
a corellation is not the same as a cause, but it’s still of interest to marketers and business people, and so probably worthy of a consumer study.

Posted by tim on October 24, 2005 at 5:13 PM (PDT)

Well said tim

Posted by Nick on October 24, 2005 at 7:24 PM (PDT)

Why do you even have an iPod TM?

Why not get an iRiver or whatever and then get lost?

Posted by wco81 in West Coast on October 24, 2005 at 9:33 PM (PDT)

WC081-

I have one because it’s the best MP3 player around.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on October 24, 2005 at 11:16 PM (PDT)

Ok maybe it’s just me here, but saying “iPod owners are significantly more likely to create and spread consumer-generated media on the web.” Is a completely arbitrary statement. It can be interpretted so many ways…

1. iPod owners compared to who? Other MP3 player owners? compared to non-MP3 player owners? compared to people who don’t listen to music? what?!
2. Since there is a SH*TLOAD of iPod owners it’s a huge group of people ‘influencing the internet’, but maybe it’s just a big coincidence that the people who have iPods influence the internet. My parents have iPods, as well as all my friends and NONE of them influence the net in any way. My parents can’t even use it!

(so maybe that last point is more a reflection of me, than a valid theory) NEVERMIND

Posted by Mondayne on October 25, 2005 at 1:16 AM (PDT)

at risk of sounding like i had anything to do with that study (i didn’t), it’s pretty clear who they were making comparisons with:
““iPod users are **twice as likely to have authored a blog than consumers who do not own MP3 players, and they outpace other MP3 owners on creating and posting content online**.”
now, i haven’t read the full report, and there may well be flaws in their methodology.  without knowing how much ipod users “outpace” other mp3 player users by it’s impossible to know how significant the difference is… and it’s not exactly surprising that tech-users blog more than non-tech users, but the study was almost certainly designed deliberately to quantify (measure) something they already strongly suspected.

Posted by tim on October 25, 2005 at 4:08 AM (PDT)

My iPod to me is very important, as I use it as an external mass storage device, an mp3 player as well as an podcast player, an alarm clock to wake me up in the morning.. Sometimes I download my mail on it to watch them as notes on the Go.. Unfortunately I’ve been getting some problems about it lately, dunno if its the battery.. I’ll have to think upon whether to buy the new 5g iPod or not, depending on my budget…

Posted by Joe on October 25, 2005 at 6:40 AM (PDT)

Joe-

Get a girlfriend to handle all that stuff for you…:)

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on October 25, 2005 at 11:39 AM (PDT)

Ouch, an insult AND politically incorrect statement in one! HUZZAH!

Posted by Mondayne on October 25, 2005 at 4:13 PM (PDT)