iPod Photo manifests audio defect | iLounge News

iPod Photo manifests audio defect

After preliminary testing of our new 60GB iPod Photo hardware, iLounge has confirmed the presence of the same audio defect widely reported in the fourth-generation iPod shortly after its release. The defect can be heard in headphones when the iPod Photo’s hard drive reloads its music memory buffer, and sounds like static accompanied by hard drive accessing noises, overlapping for several seconds the beginning of a music track.

As a reader noted in iLounge Backstage earlier this month, an almost identical problem has been reported, acknowledged, and addressed by Rio, the manufacturer of Carbon music players. Though iLounge provided two affected fourth-generation iPods to Apple in late July, the company has to date has had no official comment on or public solution for the defect.

Though we realize that few of our readers will have purchased the $599 60GB unit, we ask that those with iPod Photos read the prior reports and testing procedure, and add comments to this story’s thread so that we can determine the scope of these issues. We note that the sounds appear to be more faint and intermittent in our iPod Photo hardware than in our 4G iPods, however, they can still be heard.

« iPod Halloween costumes

Ten Technology announces flexDock charger/mount for mini »

Comments

I just purchased a 60gb iPhoto and there are no audio problems.  I ordered it from the Apple Store and it said Shanghai on the FedEx label so I presume that it was from the Shanghai factory.  I am a first time iPod owner and did the test as described and I heard no audio problems.

I did notice slight crackling when adjusting the volume during quiet passages.  Is this normal?

Posted by orange-man on October 30, 2004 at 8:45 PM (PDT)

I bought my iPod photo 60GB at the Apple Store at Victoria Gardens, Rancho Cucamonga, CA.  I was one of the first 1000 customer that received a free applet-shirt since it was the grand opening. At first, I just want to get the t-shirt.  After seeing and touching the ipod photo in person, I went ahead and bought it. This is also my first ipod.  So far no problems (knock on wood).

Posted by er on October 30, 2004 at 9:36 PM (PDT)

THAT DOES IT, I’m not getting one… unless it has a warranty!

Oh wait, it does smile Ok, then, deep breath… It’s always possible for ANY product to arrive with a problem. If so, it will be fixed.

You could wait until NO iPods have this… but what do you gain? If you are one of the few who has the problem, get it fixed—for free. You’ll have a problem-free iPod faster that way than by waiting for the day when whatever-component-it-is stops EVER being defective. Of course, no company makes announcements about such things, so you’ll never know when/if that day comes anyway.

But still, I hope some people cancel in fear of this, so I get mine sooner :D

Posted by Nagromme on October 30, 2004 at 9:39 PM (PDT)

U are dumb.  yes there are some defective profdust but that is just from one line from one factory.  Not almost every iPod.  the fact is there should be no problems,  a Companys quality controll needs to be good.  Imagine Ford rolled out defective cars which the breaks only worked somtime.  Oh lets go out and buy Some fords, Its ok ya know its ok for company to sell defective products.  All of you people who say its oka nd they have a warrenty are idiots.  So i hope you go and buy that ford and die and horribel death by crashing into a gasoline tanker.

Posted by Vinny77 on October 30, 2004 at 10:11 PM (PDT)

I own a 1G iPod, everything works fine, even the battery stiil holds for 3 hours, which is enough for some days for me. So I am happy with this device. (and with my Apple Computer anyway) when I saw the iPod Photo I think the colour display is much to small for Photos and the wheel instead is much too big. Concerning the noise problems I think, that without information about the quantity of iPods with a defekt anybody of you cannot judge if this hurts Apple or not. Usually its a known in business, that a claim rate under 1% does not affect sales drops. Jo from Germany

Posted by Jochen on October 31, 2004 at 1:56 AM (PDT)

I own an Ipod G4 and have never had any problems with it.  My brother also owns a G4 and has no problems with it. Ive heard a few people say that the people with problem comments far outway the people with no problems.  I believe that.  A few more days and my Ipod Photo with have arrived. Hopefully I have the same luck with it.

Posted by i own 1 on October 31, 2004 at 2:31 AM (PDT)

I just picked up a 40GB iPod Photo at the local Apple store (Albany, NY) and I can report all is well.  The unit seems flawless with no audio defect, dead pixels or any other defect.  I also had no problem moving some photos over although my main use is for the album art.  To be honest the color seems to make a big difference in the usability of the unit….expensive as hell yes…could not bring myself to pay $600 for the 60GB

Posted by spdsk8 in Albany, NY on October 31, 2004 at 3:08 AM (PDT)

Ok, everyone, get of the high chair. It’s simple, if there is a problem with static, anyone has the right to complain about this. But has anyone here asked Apple for a solution, or you’re just complaining here. I can tell you for sure, this forum is not their customer service department.

And then there’s Larry, come on guy. COmplaining is one, but stating ‘I care so much about the sound….’ Yeah right, that’s why you ‘re using aac and the iPod. Don’t get me wrong, I love my iPod, sounds great on the road, but it sucks compared with my high-end audio stuff.
If you think, having a bunch of head phones makes you an audiophile, nah…... sorry guy.

So, now I will get off my high chair. Any help? I am not good in walking steps…..

Posted by MarcelV on October 31, 2004 at 3:16 AM (PDT)

I have to appologoze to Larry. Looking how the forum is strutured, you don’t seem to have the 400 headphone issue. But stark23x has. So stark23x, you’re the stark23x guy and part of my post above is directed to you.

Posted by MarcelV on October 31, 2004 at 3:30 AM (PDT)

Larry, thank you for posting.  I was going to have to write a long entry to correct the impression given by kid upset because he now sees old men on the bus with iPods— that products are required to be perfect.  Norhing could be further from the truth.  Those subject to safety issues must meet some government standards, but even those are relatively easy to pass.  A product such as an MP3 player/hard driver is only required to meet a warranty of merchantibility, that is, do what it claims it does, play music and store digital data.  Otherwise, it is up to the manufacturer to decide how its product will function.

I agree with you that it was irresponsible to post this entry without any real evidence of design defect.  A few hundred complaints out of thousands of purchases?  That’s nil.  And, we have to remember suggestibility is playing a part in this.

Some forums have set up ‘Junior’ sections for kids and teens.  They reduce the amount of nonsense posted to threads in the main sections.  Since it apparently attracts a lot of uninformed youngsters, perhaps iPod Lounge should consider such a policy.

Posted by Podesta in Portland, OR on October 31, 2004 at 4:13 AM (PDT)

Right. Because you don’t have a problem or are willing to be a good little consumer and take whatever you get for your hard earned cash, well then, everone else must be a whiner or suffering from mass halucinations. Maybe the kids and teens are complaining because their cash is harder to come by and expect top quality when paying top dollar. If it insults you to read about possible problems with a product then why follow this thread? Why not just stick to the “Apple is my shepard and I shall not complain” thread?
I check for possible problems with nearly every product I buy, and that includes all the Apple products that I make my living with… It’s called research. Coming to this site has let me know that there are some problems with the new iPods, maybe not enough to stop me from taking my chances and buying one, but at least I know what to expect if I do. Coming here has also reminded me that Apple’s years of hard work creating their underdog image has worked very well and although they profess to promote “Different thought” they seem to have instead convinced many to “follow blindly”

Have fun, see you in the uninformed junior section!

Randy

Posted by Randy on October 31, 2004 at 9:25 AM (PDT)

I don’t get all the whining. If you buy a product that seems defective, make use of the warranty and try to get it fixed. If you are still not satisfied, return the product and look somewhere else. Of course you won’t get anything close to the ipod but maybe you’d prefer to deal with creative’s costumer service, or sony’s, or whatever. And maybe their products would please your delicate audiophile’s ears better.

This is your problem: you’re obsessed with the iPod. It seems that you can’t stand not having one! C’mon guys. Grow up, stop whining, and take advantage of the free market.

How about this guy who bought 12 defective iPods in a row and then an extended warranty?? That sounds either like a really pathologic case of iPod-dependency or just some more crap coming out from an all-time Apple hater’s fan. There are many of those popping out these days, which just can’t cope with Apple doing well.

And finally, if there’s a real problem with the new iPod I’m sure Apple will deal with it asap. For this purpose it’s good to bring this problems into discussion, but trying to make a big scandal out of it? I think it’s pointless.

Posted by easy! on October 31, 2004 at 10:53 AM (PDT)

Way to go apple!

now about that 40gb iPod of mine….any chance of getting a *working* one any time soon?
seriously I bought the damn thing 3 months ago and it’s been back and forth between apple more times than I care to remember - and I’m now on a replacement which suffers from even more problems than the first (in addition to the random freezing of audio - it now also seems to delete all my music files as well as a battery life of little more than 3 hours).
i’ve had enough of these apple antics - I want my money back - end of story!

Posted by littlebitannoyed on October 31, 2004 at 11:10 AM (PDT)

although to their credit -apple have honoured their one year guarantee and have not charged me any service yet (although the ipod always seems to come out of service worse then when it went in!)

Posted by littlebitannoyed on October 31, 2004 at 11:14 AM (PDT)

I just bought the 60 gig and did the 3 song Lossless test.  Using songs that were 5, 7 and 11 minutes long, i can report my Ipod Photo is not showing any sign of this audio defect.

Posted by Bill on October 31, 2004 at 12:53 PM (PDT)

Um no that is not FREE MARKET, Adam smith says that Quality must remain constant,  If the quality is not equal to the rest than it is not a part of a free market and it is within the curve.  It is standard for QUALITY to remain constart.  So you need another shot reading The Wealth of Nations

Posted by vinny77 on October 31, 2004 at 1:00 PM (PDT)

The fact is that, there should be NO problems with the product. It should be perfect when you buy it. The poeple on this forum know a little bit more than the average person who doesnt come here. This is why apple wont fix it. They see it as most peeople buying Ipods now are new and this is there 1s*** one. So how could you compare iut to somthing you have never used before. So apple doesnt ahve to fix it. And not every Ipod had this issue I had a 20gb 4G and it did not, But I returned it for a 40gb 3G becosue the 4G are crap quality IMO.

All products should be perfect when bought and if somthing is not then it should be recalled and fixed. Duch as the Computer chip maker intel has a problem with there chips, they has to recall thema nd they lost 2 billion. Its just what good companys do.

The iPod used to be a cool nice thing to have. Now everybody has them even old men on the Bus when im going to school. I think i am going to take a look at Sony or another brand next time

and all of you idiots that defend apple as if its not THAT BIG Of A PROBLEM You are crazy becouse you are getting suckered out of your money when steve jobs is worth 872 million and you make 40-100k a year. Thnk about it

I totally agree with you Vinny 77
At least their is somebody that understands me.

Posted by I totaly agree with you on October 31, 2004 at 1:13 PM (PDT)

U are dumb. yes there are some defective profdust but that is just from one line from one factory. Not almost every iPod. the fact is there should be no problems, a Companys quality controll needs to be good. Imagine Ford rolled out defective cars which the breaks only worked somtime. Oh lets go out and buy Some fords, Its ok ya know its ok for company to sell defective products. All of you people who say its oka nd they have a warrenty are idiots.

Once again I support you vinny 77. Great example.

Posted by Brian Sharma on October 31, 2004 at 1:20 PM (PDT)

My 60GB iPod Photo does *not* have any kind of squealing/scratching noise.  My 40GB 4G *does* (quite loudly, in fact) with the exact same TriPort headphones so I am quite familiar with what it sounds like and how to make it happen.

Posted by cawhitepdx on October 31, 2004 at 1:29 PM (PDT)

I currently dont have a Ipod Photo,  I am planning to get one soon.  I am just curiouse like everybody else if it has this problem.

Posted by vinny77 on October 31, 2004 at 2:37 PM (PDT)

Page 5 of 6 pages « First  <  3 4 5 6 >