iPod photos used as tiny LCDs at trade show
Chris Iwanowski of Barking Dog Studios provided iLounge with details and pictures of how the company used iPod photos at recent trade show, Museums and the Web 2005, to show off its website development work. “We wanted to stand out amongst the sea of laptops and LCD displays used by other exhibitors,” Iwanowski said. “So, we conceived the idea of using iPod photos to tell an interactive story of how our web sites are created, rather than just showing the end result.”
“We used a slide show of approximately 120 images and a looping music/voice-over track—all running from the iPod photos,” he explained. “The screen size demanded we make the experience ‘personal’, so each kiosk has a pair of head phones. The small screens of the iPod photos were framed and matted to look like miniature works of art. The frames themselves were selected to represent the character of web site being profiled.”
“The kiosks stand 7ft and were custom built,” Iwanowski said. “They utilize easily removable plexiglass panels with images adhered to the backside of the panel with vinyl cut lettering on the front. All the panels were sanded to create a flat finish. Oak 2x2’s were used as a frame between the plexiglass panels and the resulting cavity is where the cables for lighting, iPod power and headphones run. The space under the half circle table was used for storage and powerpacks. We designed the kiosks to daisy-chain together so they can easy share one power source. Each kiosk packs down to a 120lb block and fits in a 44x32x8” crate for shipping.”
“The most common question we received from attendees at the trade show was ‘how did you get those little screens in there?’ Most were surprised to learn they were iPod photos,” he said. “As many of the attendees deal in creating kiosks for museum and gallery installations, I’m sure we’ll see iPod photos used as kiosks more and more We plan to use the kiosks again—possibly adding multiple iPods to a single kiosk or even a Powerbook screen.”
- Harman Kardon debuts Infinity One, Esquire Mini, Soho Wireless + JBL Charge 2
- iPhone hack stories to continue post-SDK, writers say
- 5G iPod hacked for internal Bluetooth
- iPod classic, nano Diagnostic Mode photos posted
- iStyle offers laser etching for iPod, nano, and shuffle
- PDASmart offers 100GB iPod upgrade
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Apple reportedly streamlining Genius Bar experience
- Report: Apple acquires Camel Audio
- VISA ‘tokenization’ may speed Apple Pay EU deployment
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?
- What can I actually share with Family Sharing in iOS 8?