iPod plugin for Winamp 5 released | iLounge News

iPod plugin for Winamp 5 released

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Thursday, February 26, 2004
News Categories: Windows Software

“With the release of the iPod Support Plug-in for Winamp 5 you can finally start using that PC formatted iPod for something other than a stylish paper weight.

Installing the plug-in will add an iPod device listing to your Winamp Media Library. Then all you have to do is connect your iPod to your PC, point Winamp to the drive letter that your iPod was assigned, and start sending your MP3 or M4A tracks from your PC to your hip little portable device. Winamp will also play tracks directly from your iPod so you can take your collection to a friends house and blast your tunes in style without ever having to touch his/her dirty dirty hard drive. You can even free up space of your own hard drive by deleting useless programs like iTunes and Music Match.

Will the overt sexiness of Nullsoft innovation ever end? No. No it won’t.”

Let me know how y’all get on with this plugin - we’ll all be interested in how well it works…

License: Freeware
System Requirements: Winamp 5, Windows

« Burton Amp Pack for $168.99

iPod mini 4GB for $224.99 »

Comments

Dude iTunes “can’t even push 5.1”! How will I rip all of my dolby digital CDs and listen to my 5.1 mp3s! DERP!

Posted by Biff on February 27, 2004 at 9:07 AM (PDT)

There is also upsampling. I have a 7,1 soundcard with . I use Media Center to upsample regular stereo MP3s and convert them on the fly into surround sound using JRSS. Believe me, they sound a lot clearer coming out of all the speakers in the room with surround effects.

Posted by upsampling on February 27, 2004 at 10:11 AM (PDT)

Sez you.

Posted by Biff on February 27, 2004 at 12:41 PM (PDT)

Eric—

Point taken about OGG/AAC.  I haven’t tried 5 yet, and their site’s feature chart doesn’t mention the AAC encoding being out of the the box.

That said, I still don’t like Winamp’s setup for library management.  That may have changed in v5, but the screens I saw didn’t suggest so.

Again, my .02.

Posted by john on February 27, 2004 at 5:23 PM (PDT)

huh - winamp’s plug-in doesn’t have a smartplaylist feature.

Posted by dave on February 27, 2004 at 11:05 PM (PDT)

Media Center’s smart playlists make iTunes’ look sick.

Then again, both WinAmp and iTunes are free.

Posted by smart playlists on February 28, 2004 at 8:48 AM (PDT)

Soo…......  Anyone tried the plug-in yet?  Can we talk about that here?

Anyways, looks like 2 or 3 people (out of 14) used the plug-in and it trashed the playlist and files in their iPods.  I think I’ll wait for the next revision to try this plug-in.  It doesn’t sound safe/stable enough in it’s first release.

Posted by Cabbit on February 29, 2004 at 6:44 PM (PDT)

i am using version 0.8 of the plugin as we speak.  it transfers at a nice 4MB/sec and has perfectly transferred over 25GB of music thus far.  i have not had any problems with the playlist features or ID3 tags.  the plugin has worked flawlessly since i began using several weeks ago.  i had all my music (over 350 albums) organized in winamp and i was very happy not to have to switch applications.

Posted by psychohispanic on May 3, 2004 at 9:52 AM (PDT)

How do you create a smart playlist in winamp?  been trying for ages, and it doesn’t seem to work.

Posted by mark on June 23, 2004 at 10:10 PM (PDT)

I want to make a coment to, itunes is a ##### program I let it organize my music, I hove over 8000 songs and not all of them have nice organized ID tags I can tell you taht the software generated thousands of new folders and it also generated several folders for the same artist with misspellings due to the ID tags, I can tell you I’ve been two months re-organizing my music and haven’t finished yet, I have over 500 files with just numbers, I have to manually listen to the file and tape a new name. winamp would never do something like that. What is great about itunes is to have the image of the album of the song, but if you have to do it manually (you have by the way) then what’s the greatness. So itunes lovers, how does this great program returns my files to Order??? (you can’t it’s an unduable task)

Posted by Capicua on March 3, 2008 at 6:20 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2